Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

Any thoughts of an RMweb members area ?

As RMweb is part of BRM that would need to be part of their stand or everyone would want a free members area and that means less space for exhibits.

Anyway Spoons has always been the traditional members area there ;)

As I see it there are two options.

1. It could be part of the BRM stand. This might or might not be seen as worthwhile for BRM and has to be entirely up to them.

2. RM web could possibly have a society stand. The big problem with this in that somebody would have to pay for the society stand space. A second issue is that there is a limit to the number of society stands and there are more societies than space available so RMweb may not be able to get an invitation.

• RMweb Gold

1. It could be part of the BRM stand. This might or might not be seen as worthwhile for BRM and has to be entirely up to them.

2. RM web could possibly have a society stand. The big problem with this in that somebody would have to pay for the society stand space. A second issue is that there is a limit to the number of society stands and there are more societies than space available so RMweb may not be able to get an invitation.

Probably too late for 2017 as the floor plan is done. However my understanding is a recognised society would get 6ft free. Perhaps if RMWeb is agreed to be a society 6ft alongside BRM could be agreed with Warley Club for the 2018 event. Who crews it and other questions then arise but for 2018 it could be doable if the correct approaches are made early enough. Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold

Is RMweb a society though in the sense that the others promote specific aspects of the hobby? The BRM stand represents them and this forum quite well so I don't see how an extra 6ft would help as I've never seen the stand crammed as it is and usually manage a quick hello.

To be honest Andy usually has RMweb info and often seen chatting next to the BRM stand which was pretty open plan last year ;) The bar does have that crucial extra element . .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As RMweb is part of BRM that would need to be part of their stand or everyone would want a free members area and that means less space for exhibits.

Anyway Spoons has always been the traditional members area there ;)

Well, sort of.

At one time, a number of forum sites used the space in front of the full size "centrepiece" loco as a meeting area - which should have been fine, except certain members of some forum sites don't always choose to talk to each other in a civilised manner.

I can also recall, a number of years back, when there was definite friction between a number of magazine publishers, the people running a number of forum sites and somebody organising a large area of one year's show.

(To be clear, the magazine publishers weren't the ones causing the trouble - they were just being used for "target practice". In a similar vein, the people who set up and run any reputable forum sites also go out of their way not to do anything to stir up trouble - and take appropriate steps against any members who've got "other ideas" - but this still doesn't stop a few idiots intent on making life difficult for them.)

For obvious reasons, I'm not about to start "naming names" - but, understandably, all of this stuff seemed to act as a spur for some people to start using "Spoons" as a lunchtime meeting place.

Although I'm generally very "reserved", I'd personally be happy to talk with people connected with any forum site (or any magazine) - or none at all. However, different people have different viewpoints on this - and I have no wish to spark conflict.

Turning to the business about "Spoons" being used as a meeting point, there have been some days - some years - when the RMweb contingent is reputed to have consisted of 1 or 2 people, taking a break from proceedings (and sometimes having very agreeable chats with visitors to the motorcycle shows that have been on at the same time).

Most years, however, the RMweb contingent has been reported to have been slightly larger (albeit equally "visible").

OK - a number of people attending 1PM "lunchtime meetings" might have been partaking of some "nourishing beverages" - but this has been by no means universal (and there's never been any pressure placed on anyone ...).

Interesting ideas - but I wonder how they might work in practice.

At "Ally Pally" (in which, of course, Warners have been very heavily involved), a number of years' shows have been enhanced by a seminar area, with RMweb / BRM branding. This didn't happen this year - but, when it did happen, it provided an obvious focal point.

A few years back, there were also seminars at RMweb Live. In fact, just about anywhere in this amazing event could have served as a meeting area - well it could.

Unfortunately, RMweb Live was marred by low turnouts - mainly as a result of it not being effectively promoted - whilst also being scheduled for the same weekend as another major show not far away. These problems led to the show not being repeated (although I wish some people would reconsider at some point in the future).

As for RMweb / BRM seminar areas at shows, somehow, I don't see them being a viable option at "Warley".

I could also see a number of issues with RMweb having a society stand.

Although, in a number of ways, RMweb is effectively a society, it's also bankrolled by a company (Warners) - which means that I'm not convinced that it would qualify as a society, in the eyes of any club organising a show.

There would also be the matter of who would be "behind the barriers" at an RMweb stand - and what they'd be doing, when they're not chatting to show visitors.

If magazine editorial staff were "behind the barriers" here, this would take them away from the BRM / GardenRail stand (where visitors would be expecting to find them). I'd imagine that this might also cause some people to be wary about approaching either the RMweb or BRM / GardenRail stands.

Site-wide moderators might also be an issue - after all, a key point about RMweb is that a number of these people are anonymous - and this anonymity would be destroyed the moment anyone appeared on a stand with a badge saying "Mod 57" (other numbers are available). OK - in theory, it might be possible to put just about anyone "behind the barriers" and some show visitors would be none the wiser - but good hobby forums don't tend to be built around playing "let's pretend".

OK - I'll let you all into a secret (actually, it's no secret, but you know what I mean). I've never been a moderator - on here - or on any other site, for that matter. I'm not expecting this to change any time soon.

You might be wondering why I've mentioned this - well, if editorial staff of affiliated magazines are ruled out, this effectively rules out the site administrators. If the "Mods" are also ruled out, this basically leaves ordinary site members - effectively, people like you or me - and this could well be a problem.

I'm probably typical of a lot of site members - I've never had any modelmaking articles to my name (and probably never will) - and the lack of a club in my town rules out club membership. Also, few of us have built anything memorable - and a lot of us don't have "exhibition standard" layouts or models to our names.

In my case, there's also the little matter of a "charisma bypass operation" (OK - probably not strictly true - but few people would be any the wiser).

Anyway, although many of us have skills / experience which might be useful, most of us would never be likely to draw crowds. Yawns, perhaps - crowds, almost certainly not.

In other words, many of us are "lone wolf" people who pretend to build models modellers - effectively "nobody", in the eyes of many show visitors - and most of us are never likely to see the inside of a show barrier (if, indeed, we'd want there to be one).

OK, somebody like me could, in theory, bring along a desparate disparate selection of kits and other stuff we're working on - possibly even some half-baked apology for a layout that might, otherwise, never get an airing - and proceed to wreck a load of "stuff" during the long hours when nobody stops by. Well, I could - but would anyone want to pay for people like me to take up floor space (and hotel space, after the doors have closed on the Saturday)? Would anyone be so keen to see "Missing Summit" (or whatever my fictitious layout might be called) that they'd want something decent pushed out of the way to make space for it?

No - somehow, I didn't think so, either - even if people like me would probably be available for a couple of days in November (or March, in the case of "Ally Pally").

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

Just a brief reply as I am out at present but a formal area would need paying for and manning which means laying on branding, entertainment, dancing girls etc. During the course of the weekend I have enough on my plate with mag duties to be able to turn it into anything meaningful plus, being brutal, is there any benefit for anyone?

• RMweb Gold

dancing girls etc.

Eh? :)

being brutal, is there any benefit for anyone?

Er yes see above!! ;)

I'd like to be quite clear though definitely not most of the Rmweb members I've met dancing ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

meeting around lunchtime may seem a good idea but if you are, like me, involved in the Exhibition in any way (on a layout, demonstrating, on a stand, etc then 1pm isn't a

particularly good time to meet up.

As AndyY has said - a "stand" would need to be paid for, "manned" and have a real reason for having it. A 2m table isn't big enough for everyone to meet up around..

Baz

• RMweb Gold

an agreement with Spoons where they provide the beer and snacks for a small fee

You have read that back carefully? ;)

That's why they do hold the meets at Spoons now. I think you'd upset the hall catering concessions walking in with beers ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

meeting around lunchtime may seem a good idea but if you are, like me, involved in the Exhibition in any way (on a layout, demonstrating, on a stand, etc then 1pm isn't aparticularly good time to meet up.As AndyY has said - a "stand" would need to be paid for, "manned" and have a real reason for having it. A 2m table isn't big enough for everyone to meet up around..Baz

Fair comment - and, before anyone tries suggesting it, I definitely would NOT want any "meetings" around one of those pianos that are scattered around the NEC.

As for when to hold meetings, the options are rather limited.

I don't know which hotels exhibitors are staying at - or how far they are from the NEC (or any other venue). However, it's likely that some exhibitors would be facing a drive at the end of each day - so this might rule out the sort of "after show meeting" held after the first day of some tradeshows (even assuming that "Spoons" stays open for very long after the show closes).

Anyway, a lot of people will have been on their feet for rather a long time - so they might be in a rush to get home / to the hotel - which is why the railway station platforms often seem to be packed a few minutes after the hall doors are closed.

Returning to the lunchtime meetings:

Perhaps we could strike up on an agreement with Spoons where they provide the beer and snacks for a small fee; extra income for them, and we might encourage more people to join. :)

You have read that back carefully? ;)

That's why they do hold the meets at Spoons now. I think you'd upset the hall catering concessions walking in with beers ;)

Of course, this assumes that visitors aren't resorting to "bring a 4-pack". I doubt if that would go down too well, either. Even worse, it would be a waste of good lager - the stuff doesn't taste right unless it's properly chilled!

OK - I know "Spoons" at the NEC isn't a proper "Spoons" - it doesn't offer the full menu - and the prices are higher than they would be in a proper "Spoons". However, I personally find it vastly preferable to the "in hall" "catering" outlets.

Huw.

Of course, this assumes that visitors aren't resorting to "bring a 4-pack". I doubt if that would go down too well, either. Even worse, it would be a waste of good lager - the stuff doesn't taste right unless it's properly chilled!

OK - I know "Spoons" at the NEC isn't a proper "Spoons" - it doesn't offer the full menu - and the prices are higher than they would be in a proper "Spoons". However, I personally find it vastly preferable to the "in hall" "catering" outlets.

Huw.

Tell me about it. One of the catering outlets last year was trying to flog pulled pork baps for something like £5.50, and another had some not-so-appetising fish and chips. Take my advice, bring a packed lunch!

I live only about 25-30 minutes drive away from the NEC, so wouldn't need to worry about a hotel but as the hotels are right next to the airport they probably tend to be quite expensive so I reckon exhibitors if they can just don't bother and prefer to drive home.

Though last year one of my pals got a pint of this 7.6% cider from Spoons and appeared to be enjoying it, even if it did take him ages to finish!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a brief reply as I am out at present but a formal area would need paying for and manning which means laying on branding, entertainment, dancing girls etc. During the course of the weekend I have enough on my plate with mag duties to be able to turn it into anything meaningful plus, being brutal, is there any benefit for anyone?

Given my limited visits to Warley ( 7 or 8 over last 20 ish years ), I think your efforts are best placed supporting smaller local RMweb meet/shows/gang shows, Andy.

I too fail see any benefit in a separate Rmweb area. I mean, some members could start an argument in a phone box so God only knows what would happen in a larger area. Bloody Hell! ....catering!!! You'd have the wholemeal v Multigrain v seeded lot kicking off a row that would make the EM/P4/S4 mud slinging pale into insignificance.......and woe be tied the poor sod who asked for white bread

Not for me, Warley has become something to avoid, inhabited by some monstrous types for whom personal hygene, common decency,good manners and ruck sack awareness are cast asunder in the stampede to be first at the Bachby bargain stand.

For those who enjoy it , and there are very many, crack on but it is what it is.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

Not for me, Warley has become something to avoid, inhabited by some monstrous types for whom personal hygene, common decency,good manners and ruck sack awareness are cast asunder in the stampede to be first at the Bachby bargain stand.

For those who enjoy it , and there are very many, crack on but it is what it is.

Rob.

I must state that I am a member of Warley club but I don't see large numbers of visitors who fit the description above. Most visitors are normal, decent people. This is becoming another one of those overused boring cliches.

• RMweb Gold

Given my limited visits to Warley ( 7 or 8 over last 20 ish years ), I think your efforts are best placed supporting smaller local RMweb meet/shows/gang shows, Andy.

I too fail see any benefit in a separate Rmweb area. I mean, some members could start an argument in a phone box so God only knows what would happen in a larger area. Bloody Hell! ....catering!!! You'd have the wholemeal v Multigrain v seeded lot kicking off a row that would make the EM/P4/S4 mud slinging pale into insignificance.......and woe be tied the poor sod who asked for white bread

Rob.

As the SLS are regular trade stand holders at Warley, and I've also been in exhibitors teams at Warley club shows in my own right or as a helper back as far as the pre-NEC Harry Mitchell Centre days, I also think your under 50% sampling of the Warley Club shows is misrepresenting the clear majority of typical show attendees. Yes, there is a small minority of prats, you get them everywhere especially at any form of sale, but to miss the rush if it bothers you come later or on Sunday. Horses for courses, if you want to fight the Bachmann bargains queue, or aim to seek the one photo print we might have in the 4000 items we start with, then come early and be prepared to scrum for it.

Alternatively look at it the other way, can't speak for Bachmann or other traders, but we will probably take 3000-3500 of our opening 4000 stock of individual prints home (About 10% of our total mail-order range); in that 3000 at 10 mins to go on Sunday there is still likely to be something relevant to whatever you are modelling. Alternatively order in from us up to a couple of weeks in advance asking for show collection and we can put it by for you. It is a busy show, as are any at the NEC, but it is the biggest and best of the railway shows so put up with the few downsides of scale - the positives far outweigh them.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must state that I am a member of Warley club but I don't see large numbers of visitors who fit the description above. Most visitors are normal, decent people. This is becoming another one of those overused boring cliches.

My apologies but my comments were based on my personal experiences of getting pushed and shoved despite having purchased a ticket in advance. I am simply no longer prepared to put up with it and choose to stay away.

I prefer now to support shows local to me.

For me, Warley meant getting up at 5.30, a 6am start from home, arrive in time for doors open to maximise my day, spend a long day there and arrive home about 8pm. I am sure this is not unique and may provide a snapshot of what, as you rightly say, normal decent people do, year in year out in support of the show.

But, add into this the occasional pushing, shoving, getting thumped by rucksacks and the opportunity to stand next to some one for whom soap is a four letter word and this for me is not a boring cliche but is in fact a bad experience.

Warley simply stopped being a pleasure for me.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

meeting around lunchtime may seem a good idea but if you are, like me, involved in the Exhibition in any way (on a layout, demonstrating, on a stand, etc then 1pm isn't a

particularly good time to meet up.

Good point.  Would another time and/or place be more suitable?   Near the demo stands, for instance?

As one of those who suggested meeting in 'Spoons in the first place I must admit that there are times when I wonder why I did so.  Then I remember that the in-hall catering is even worse, find a vacant chair and eat my sarnies.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The web site is always being updated.

Latest page is the demonstrators page.

Lots of RMWebbers involved in that area this year. This year Jonathan Wealleans will be undertaking a weathering demo as I have other things to do in the demo area.

List to be added when I am on a proper computer rather than my tablet.

Some thought provoking areas in this year's demo area.

Baz

PS the floor plan changed last year so the Bachmann returns sales stand is no longer near the front door.

• RMweb Premium

DEMONSTRATIONS

Theme for 2017 “1967-2017   50 years of modelling”

Modelling in the 1967 era       

Topic                                           Demo by           RMWeb name    Comment

Whitemetal Kit Building              Tony Wright       Tony Wright        Whitemetal and sheet nickel silver/brass locomotive building

Plasticard Modelling                   David White                                 The owner of Slaters will be demonstrating how to use Plasticard Buying in 1967

1967                                            Ken Nelson                                  What could you buy at  your local model shop in 1967.        

Skills and Information for all Scales    

Topic                                          Demo by           RMWeb name       Comment

Realistic ground cover              Giles Flavell       Giles                      How to get the best from your scenic items

Signals                                      Steve Hewitt      Steve Hewitt          The ins and outs of building and control of signals

DCC support                             Simon Howard   Mr.S.corn78           Fitting, tuning, fixing DCC chips and systems 

Resin moulding                         Graeme King     gr.king                    How to mould parts and major assemblies using resin in mainly 4mm scale

Modifying modern RTR stock    Mick Bryan        newbryford             Converting RTR stock to replicate modern Network Rail stock

Loco and stock servicing           Ian Mellors        Redgatemodels     Need help with getting your locos to run? Bring one along and have a go at cleaning its wheels

and checking out its servicing levels. 

Warley MRC develops your skills      

Topic                                          Demo by           RMWeb name       Comment

Building O gauge wagon           Dave Roberts    davey4270            Rolling stock from an earlier era - your chance to have a go at trying  some of the techniques           kits in plastic                                                                                     needed to build plastic wagons kits in 7mm 

Couplings                                  Richard Syms                                 Look at an alternative coupling and see if it fits your stock

Painting and lining in                 Ian Rathbone                                 How to paint and line loco’s and stock (0 gauge and below) and the equipment you need explained 

the smaller scales                                                                            and demonstrated. 

Large Scale Design                  Rupert Brown      rupertb                Designing for the larger scales- O gauge and above 

Coach Building                          Ian Woodward                                Kit built coaches in 4mm scale        

Meet the Expert  

Large scale                                Dave Walker                                   Locomotive and rolling stock construction

(O gauge and above) 

Large scale                                Liz Marsden                                    Painting and lining in Larger Scales

(O gauge and above)

2mm Loco & Wagon Building    Jerry Clifford    Queensquare          Working in 2mm Fine scale looking at locos and buildings                               

Narrow Gauge Modelling           Peter Kazer                                     Peter will be demonstrating how he has modelled the Narrow Gauge Railways of Great Britain

in a number of scales and gauges

Weathering Rolling Stock         Jonathan           jwealleans              Jonathan  shows you how he weathers his locomotives and stock    

Weallans    

"Shows you how"                     Kendal MRC                                     Basic electrics and scenery                

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

My apologies but my comments were based on my personal experiences of getting pushed and shoved despite having purchased a ticket in advance. I am simply no longer prepared to put up with it and choose to stay away.

I prefer now to support shows local to me.

For me, Warley meant getting up at 5.30, a 6am start from home, arrive in time for doors open to maximise my day, spend a long day there and arrive home about 8pm. I am sure this is not unique and may provide a snapshot of what, as you rightly say, normal decent people do, year in year out in support of the show.

But, add into this the occasional pushing, shoving, getting thumped by rucksacks and the opportunity to stand next to some one for whom soap is a four letter word and this for me is not a boring cliche but is in fact a bad experience.

Warley simply stopped being a pleasure for me.

Rob.

Good to see you have gone from "Not for me, Warley has become something to avoid, inhabited by some monstrous types for whom personal hygene, common decency,good manners and ruck sack awareness are cast asunder in the stampede to be first at the Bachby bargain stand." to "But, add into this the occasional pushing, shoving, getting thumped by rucksacks and the opportunity to stand next to some one for whom soap is a four letter word and this for me is not a boring cliche but is in fact a bad experience."  Just like pretty much any other reasonably sized model railway exhibition (or any other gathering of people in large numbers), most visitors are fine and just a small percentage have issues with rucksacks or hygene. In my experience Sundays tend to be completely free of these sort of problems at all model railway exhibitions.

I think moving the Bachmann sales stand to the far end of the hall made a difference last year as it helped to improve the flow near the show entrance.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you have gone from "Not for me, Warley has become something to avoid, inhabited by some monstrous types for whom personal hygene, common decency,good manners and ruck sack awareness are cast asunder in the stampede to be first at the Bachby bargain stand." to "But, add into this the occasional pushing, shoving, getting thumped by rucksacks and the opportunity to stand next to some one for whom soap is a four letter word and this for me is not a boring cliche but is in fact a bad experience."  Just like pretty much any other reasonably sized model railway exhibition (or any other gathering of people in large numbers), most visitors are fine and just a small percentage have issues with rucksacks or hygene. In my experience Sundays tend to be completely free of these sort of problems at all model railway exhibitions.

I think moving the Bachmann sales stand to the far end of the hall made a difference last year as it helped to improve the flow near the show entrance.

Not quite. I stand by my original comments. Obviously you will defend the show as a club member which is totally understandable but I will continue to avoid the show. Your comments infere we should accept some jostling and poor behaviour. We should not. Good manners and consideration cost nothing to give but their worth to the recipient is considerable.

I simply no longer enjoy Warley and base this decision on my experiences over a number of visits. The people I used to travel with now no longer attend for the same reasons as myself.

It certainly does not make it a bad show. Far from it. As an assembly of layouts and traders it is arguably the best of its kind..........but is no longer the event for me that it once was.

That's all.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I simply no longer enjoy Warley and base this decision on my experiences over a number of visits. The people I used to travel with now no longer attend for the same reasons as myself.

It certainly does not make it a bad show. Far from it. As an assembly of layouts and traders it is arguably the best of its kind..........but is no longer the event for me that it once was.

This is a shame - I wish the position were different, or that it could change at some point - but, ultimately, you've got to do what's right for you.

Like it or not, I suspect that a number of shows are a bit "Marmite" - some people can't stick them - some people can't get enough of them.

I'm one of the latter group. I've been looking forward to this year's "Warley" since the moment the doors shut on last year's - partly because of all that's at the show - partly because it offers me my one chance each year to meet up with some very good friends.

(I could also make similar comments about "Ally Pally" - but I digress.)

Please don't get me wrong - I also enjoy small shows, club open days and specialist shows - but there aren't many of those I can get to using public transport.

This means that, if I want chassis parts, Replica OO spares or Ian Kirk O gauge coach kits * (and I don't want to order "blind" online), I've got to get them on one of two weekends at one of two places.

"Guildex" isn't an option for me - as I can't get to Telford by affordable public transport - same goes for anything at Burton on Trent, or any of a large number of places known for hosting great shows.

(* Never mind the "rubber gauging" - there is madness in my method … .)

Ultimately, as for a number of other people, there isn't much danger of me staying away from "Warley" (not if I can get there, anyway) - so, when it comes to certain "irritants" at the show, I just have to take the rough with the smooth.

I could add that steel toecapped shoes help …. Don't worry - I've never used them "in anger" - and I'm not about to start. I like my "size 9s" because I find them comfortable and they stand up to very heavy use. The steel toecaps also come in useful if anyone accidentally steps on them (which has happened a few times, but not at the NEC).

In other words, I didn't buy them specially for the Bachmann scrum - which is just as well because, by the time I can get there by public transport, anything worth fighting over will be long gone.

What will be left is the show itself, which I personally find worth the trip.

It's not for everyone - but, for those who like it, it can be a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours (as can meeting up with some other RMweb members, but I digress).

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths