Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

• RMweb Gold

In light of the Manchester bombing are there going to be any restrictions on the size of ruck sacks/bags?  It would not surprise me if there were.  May I suggest that if so, the organisers make sure it is clearly stated on the normal advertising posters, tickets, magazines, etc..  Some visitors have ruck sacks which look like they are on an expedition to climb Everest!

Peter

In light of the Manchester Bombing I don`t know if there is going to be a size limit on rucksacks, but I would suspect that there is going to be an increase in security checks.

Prior to this dreadful event if you arrive by train or bus, in the corridor leading to the exhibition halls there were already a couple of Security Staff carrying spot checks on bags, whether it is stepped up this year remains to be seen. But to my knowledge there was no such arrangement to check those arriving from the car parks; again, this could change for this year’s events, which in turn may leave to long queues forming at both entrances, especially as the Motorcycle Live event is again taking place at the same time.

Has anybody attended an event recently at the NEC who could inform us if this is happening and what impact it had gaining access to the exhibition halls.

Edited by bourneagain

I have read many, many threads about Warley in the last few months and the same comments generally appear.

My first visit will be this year, and I'm exhibiting too, and I'm very much looking forward to it, despite the horror stories.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have read many, many threads about Warley in the last few months and the same comments generally appear.

My first visit will be this year, and I'm exhibiting too, and I'm very much looking forward to it, despite the horror stories.

It's great either side of the barrier in my experience, simply because work means I don't get to many shows I accept it's busy and plan for a full day if going as a punter. Certainly the club look after you well, I've never found their stewards lacking and even the NEC security are good if you are polite from the outset. I've exhibited 6 times now and only ever had one minor complaint, which was the first year they did breakfast at the hall so really an NEC issue, and that was sorted on the Sunday.

Hope you enjoy it, I'll come and lean on the fence and watch again :)

• Like 1

Where have you been the last 24 years? Or the last 49 years if you include the previous Warley shows. This year is Warley's 25th show at the NEC at 50th show in total.

I've survived 24 shows at the NEC and nearly all of the ones before the NEC without any horror stories, and I'm there all day both days, plus Thursday and Friday as well. I don't recall ever being hit by a rucksack. You do see a very few visitors who could do with a wash and brush up, but then you do at any gathering of people.

• Like 2

Where have you been the last 24 years? Or the last 49 years if you include the previous Warley shows. This year is Warley's 25th show at the NEC at 50th show in total.

I've survived 24 shows at the NEC and nearly all of the ones before the NEC without any horror stories, and I'm there all day both days, plus Thursday and Friday as well. I don't recall ever being hit by a rucksack. You do see a very few visitors who could do with a wash and brush up, but then you do at any gathering of people.

It has always been on the to do list, just never happened sadly. This year is the year.

It's great either side of the barrier in my experience, simply because work means I don't get to many shows I accept it's busy and plan for a full day if going as a punter. Certainly the club look after you well, I've never found their stewards lacking and even the NEC security are good if you are polite from the outset. I've exhibited 6 times now and only ever had one minor complaint, which was the first year they did breakfast at the hall so really an NEC issue, and that was sorted on the Sunday.

Hope you enjoy it, I'll come and lean on the fence and watch again :)

Do say hello :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afraid I am a lightweight as I have only done all of the NEC shows and the Harry Mitchell ones from 1977... and I wil be with you on Thursday this year again...not bad for someone who has never lived less than 100 miles away from the Show....

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the demo area we will also be having two layouts in operation. One is in EM gauge - Leighton Buzzard built by the late Rev Peter Denny courtesy of T-B-G of this forum and then...

a new OO layout   1967 - Britain's Last Great Steam Show - by Barry Oliver and friends.. wots all that about then?.. well come along and find out...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Do say hello :)

Unfortunately we wont be there this year but its a good, well organised show.

After hearing all the 'horror stories' it actually been very enjoyable the three times that we have exhibited there and looking forward to doing so in future years.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One of the themes in the demo area is "Railway Modelling in 1967", It will include a "shop" with items from up to 1967.. come and see what life was like in those days when if it looked approximately like the real thing the model was seen as a godsend....

more on this theme to come...

Barry

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

Warley club's new G scale layout, Hortus Halt, is packed away and probably won't be put together again until the Warley show. The aim with this layout was to create the feel of a garden railway indoors and in a relatively small space rather than build a model railway as such. It is mainly US based steam but, in the best of garden railway traditions, there may well be guest locos from this side of the pond. it is possible that there will be an occasional live steamer running.

Some ancient Americans

post-12189-0-84152800-1506024152_thumb.jpg

Timber train passing through while the Zephyr is loading.

post-12189-0-97703300-1506024186_thumb.jpg

View from the cab of the E8

post-12189-0-95604000-1506024208_thumb.jpg

Passengers boarding

post-12189-0-03897000-1506024241_thumb.jpg

Friendly rivalry with live steam

post-12189-0-77657000-1506024335.jpg

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes people should have/will be receiving their packs this week.

Once forms are filled in and returned demonstrators will receive their exhibitor badges on N early November so that they can't get lost...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Demo paperwork received/

Forms filled in.

Should be in the post back tomorrow.

New yellow project just started that should be well underway for November.

Cheers,

Mick

Same with Me,

Noticed that we are next to one another........is that wise :jester: :jester:

Also the yellow is spreading :yahoo:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Crowne plaza booked, just got tickets for two days this year.

One day for scrummage, and a second for appreciation.

Last year one day wasn't enough.

Just noticed in the list of Traders, this years Hornby's got two stalls, their stand and a "sales".. are they, like Bachmann intending to have an outlet as well as their exhibitor stand ?

For a moment I thought I saw Peters spares, which would have sent me into overdrive, but then I saw it said books.

Edited by adb968008