Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Just now, adb968008 said:

Rather than more 68’s i’d like to see some 59’s myself.

Yeah, of this batch I might get Felix just because I like the name. I already have 6, 8, 23, 32 and 34 so hardly need any more!

The main issue with the 59s is there aren't any current liveries in the line up so even if they turned up I'd not be buying one unless they announce more.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah, of this batch I might get Felix just because I like the name. I already have 6, 8, 23, 32 and 34 so hardly need any more!

The main issue with the 59s is there aren't any current liveries in the line up so even if they turned up I'd not be buying one unless they announce more.

59206 is close enough, in DBS red, most are still, though 206 isnt.

i’m probably going down the respray route.

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

59206 is close enough, in DBS red, most are still, though 206 isnt.

i’m probably going down the respray route.

Yes but given they are likely to be painted before long I don't fancy that, and I'd have to lose the DBS branding anyway.

The issue for me with resprays is that it becomes expensive unless DIY which I don't have the time nor the talent for.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I’d probably get 59003 in GBRf if they eventually do it being something different to a class 66.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I’d probably get 59003 in GBRf if they eventually do it being something different to a class 66.

59003 in GBRf has to be high on a lot of people's wishlist.  Bit of a no brainer really.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The only issue is it would need specific tooling, which makes it a bit more awkward.

I think it's only the lights that need to be brought up to group standards, but then that would need to be done to all of them to make them current unless I've missed something.

Just now, jools1959 said:

I think it's only the lights that need to be brought up to group standards, but then that would need to be done to all of them to make them current unless I've missed something.

Yes you have missed something..... 59003 has a top head light the same as the class 66s, none of the other class 59s have it, it was a mod done to it when it went to Germany. So the tooling and the lighting would need to be modified to model 003.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Yes you have missed something..... 59003 has a top head light the same as the class 66s, none of the other class 59s have it, it was a mod done to it when it went to Germany. So the tooling and the lighting would need to be modified to model 003.

Its not the same as a 66, its a circular one, in a circular housing. Seems to have different buffers to. Anything else ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I rest my case ^_^

Riy

Good point, OTOH if they had done 33 I'd maybe have got that regardless of it having no name but I expect that wouldn't work on a lot of people

Edited by TomScrut

I currently have 002, 023, 032 & 034. However I'm tempted by 68016 as it was an earlier delivery date (2015, although not part of the first two? deliveries of 68's) and would match up better with 002 than 034. But like a few on here I'm not sure how many people are thinking like I am. I also need to look if I need 5 68's. I would argue with two TPE sets on order then yes I would. As then it gives me a good mix, to run 023, 032 & 034 on the TPE duties and 002, 016 & 034 on freight duties.

Unless you missed out on the TPE locos originally then I'm not sure how popular these ones will be, unless people want the whole fleet of TPE 68's! It's nice to see some more blue ones being done. I think the Chiltern ones would have been more popular had the rolling stock been done for them to haul, as you can still find them brand new I believe.

Edited by XChris
Additional comments at the bottom

5 minutes ago, XChris said:

I think the Chiltern ones would have been more popular had the rolling stock been done for them to haul, as you can still find them brand new I believe.

You may well be right. I’d love a set to put between my two Chiltern 68s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, XChris said:

As then it gives me a good mix, to run 023, 032 & 034 on the TPE duties and 002, 016 & 034 on freight duties.

I have a similar set up but with 008 instead of 002 and 034 will do both. Bear in mind also in 2020 some of the TPE ones got about on engineering trains. My 023 is on some IOAs at the moment. I do have quite a lot of trains suitable for 68s though. 3 NR ballast wagon rakes, RHTT, at least 2 nuclear trains hence why 33 would have been good, but 031 may be bought.

I also have 006 on a ScotRail MK2 rake which I will sell in due course.

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2021 at 06:25, martin_l_jones said:

Somethings got to give, probably everyone's wallets !!

For those working it may be HR departments, I wonder if people will refuse to go back to the office when they realise they can't afford all the model trains and other goodies they have been buying during lockdown any more as they have to pay commuting costs again? 

Apparently there is a manure shortage according to the landscapers doing our garden ("other goodies") and we got the last in the country!

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I rest my case ^_^

Roy

Didn't like the name Destroyer, bit negative and dark. Didn't like Achilles (had serious tendon issues as a kid) either, but Felix is a friendly and cat related name (we have several) so will get one of those.

Hope that doesn't cause too many coronaries amongst the cognescenti.....:jester:

PS I do have TPE Mk5's on order :P

21 minutes ago, XChris said:

Unless you missed out on the TPE locos originally then I'm not sure how popular these ones will be, unless people want the whole fleet of TPE 68's! It's nice to see some more blue ones being done

The thing here is that for whatever reason, there are plenty of people who won't pre order. Remember when they did 023 and 032, order book was open for over a year and yet when they turn up people were scrabbling about, paying over the odds for the locos. Some of this will be because their arrival coincided with the tooling samples for the mk5s but I expect some of this will be people either refusing to pre order them or having forgotten about them.

Pair these behaviours with the fact that livery samples will probably cause another wave of mk5 purchases, and then the scrabbling about from the no pre order part of the market when they arrive, and I think there will be a market for some TPE 68s.

27 minutes ago, XChris said:

I think the Chiltern ones would have been more popular had the rolling stock been done for them to haul, as you can still find them brand new I believe.

Yep, 019 in TPE hung around until the announcement of the mk5s IIRC and then they went quickly.

• RMweb Premium
On 24/04/2021 at 18:01, GEARJAMMER said:

Yes you have missed something..... 59003 has a top head light

They could do a Hornby NMT HST and leave the top light off for 10 years and at least 2 releases............................

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

They could do a Hornby NMT HST and leave the top light off for 10 years and at least 2 releases............................

Don't be silly this is Dapol not some amateur off the street! :banghead:

Edited by XChris
My stupidity

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

It is weird that they did that yet have succumbed to pressure to sort the issue on the Pullman one.

• Agree 1