Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Hi all,

My Class 68 with an ESU sound chip has developed a strange issue.

All of the functions work as they should, but to get moving the body has to be removed and the motor/flywheel (?) needs to be spun manually, then the body put back on etc and it works fine. 

Any ideas as to why it has started doing this and any remedies?

Thanks.

Alex. 

5 hours ago, AJWM said:

Hi all,

All of the functions work as they should, but to get moving the body has to be removed and the motor/flywheel (?) needs to be spun manually, then the body put back on etc and it works fine. 

Thanks.

Alex. 

hiya, maybe give Dapol a call, see if they can do anything for you,  i think they do repairs etc tho im not 100% sure

On 26/02/2024 at 16:35, AJWM said:

Hi all,

Thanks.

Alex. 

Had the same issue with one. New motor cured the problem. Thankfully mine was still under warranty so Rails looked after everything. Excellent service 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've recently purchased a 00/4mm scale body shell of 68001, which I plan to swop with a donor Class 68 when I find one at a reasonable price.  Is it a simple enough job?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TravisM said:

I've recently purchased a 00/4mm scale body shell of 68001, which I plan to swop with a donor Class 68 when I find one at a reasonable price.  Is it a simple enough job?

Body is dead easy to swap, just unclips.

If you want to be supersafe, put it upside down in atray, and insert hotel keys between body and chassis, by the bogies and lift the chassis out, or turn it right side up and the chassis will fall out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Body is dead easy to swap, just unclips.

If you want to be supersafe, put it upside down in atray, and insert hotel keys between body and chassis, by the bogies and lift the chassis out, or turn it right side up and the chassis will fall out.

Thanks @adb968008, I was hoping that would be the case but I didn't know if there were wires to headlights etc, which needed to be taken off after the body was lifted off the chassis.

1 hour ago, TravisM said:

Thanks @adb968008, I was hoping that would be the case but I didn't know if there were wires to headlights etc, which needed to be taken off after the body was lifted off the chassis.

nope the body is just a shell,  only thing you need to worry about as is the same as any other other body is the windows, but i not had any issue changing the body's,  its really easy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

As previously put, I recently purchased a body shell of 68001, which I was going to swop with another Class 68 model, but I thought I'd email Dapol and ask if they sold working chassis from models that had been returned and repaired as I thought it was a waste to scrap a perfectly good bodyshell.  I emailed Dapol off the website but to date, had no reply, which I thought was strange, even if it was to say 'sorry but no'.  Should I contact them again or just buy a used model and bin the bodyshell?

Edited by TravisM

21 hours ago, TravisM said:

As previously put, I recently purchased a body shell of 68001, which I was going to swop with another Class 68 model, but I thought I'd email Dapol and ask if they sold working chassis from models that had been returned and repaired as I thought it was a waste to scrap a perfectly good bodyshell.  I emailed Dapol off the website but to date, had no reply, which I thought was strange, even if it was to say 'sorry but no'.  Should I contact them again or just buy a used model and bin the bodyshell?

i think dcc concepts dcc supplies maybe worth a shout. I think they handle all of dapols ‘spares’ as well as returned stock sold off cheaper. 

worst case put the body up for sale, im sure it may come in handy for someone else so it isn't wasted 👍🏻

Edited by WCML100
Corrected as per below

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

i think dcc concepts maybe worth a shout. I think they handle all of dapols ‘spares’ as well as returned stock sold off cheaper. 

worst case put the body up for sale, im sure it may come in handy for someone else so it isn't wasted 👍🏻

Dccconcepts are not Dapol agents.

Try DCC Supplies

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, WCML100 said:

Thats it. My bad! I blame the hangover from last night! 😅

Been there, had the t-shirt many, many times 🤣.  I tried DCC Supplies but no luck, so I think I'm going to have to buy a used Class 68 and swop the body shells over.  The Scotrail and Chiltern versions seem to be reasonably priced at the moment, so might go for one of those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, TravisM said:

Been there, had the t-shirt many, many times 🤣.  I tried DCC Supplies but no luck, so I think I'm going to have to buy a used Class 68 and swop the body shells over.  The Scotrail and Chiltern versions seem to be reasonably priced at the moment, so might go for one of those.

Be aware the Scotrail and lots of the Chiltern ones are from the first batch that doesn't have the brake discs on the wheels and a slightly different PCB (IIRC 2nd batch onwards moved the PCB a bit so the decoder would fit better).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kaput said:

Be aware the Scotrail and lots of the Chiltern ones are from the first batch that doesn't have the brake discs on the wheels and a slightly different PCB (IIRC 2nd batch onwards moved the PCB a bit so the decoder would fit better).

If I get an earlier batch version, I’ll probably have someone fit DCC & sound to it, as well as the aftermarket disc brakes.  Problem easily solved if you throw money at it 🤣

• RMweb Gold

Replacement wheels are available but last I looked it came to to about £50 for the set which seemed a bit steep. Someone did do transfers or etched inserts back when the first batch was all that existed but I completely forget who.

Sound fitting is easy, even with the first batch. Its mostly just the decoder looks like its perched at a bit of an angle depending on speaker choice. Lots more speaker options now than when the 68 released.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Kaput said:

Replacement wheels are available but last I looked it came to to about £50 for the set which seemed a bit steep. Someone did do transfers or etched inserts back when the first batch was all that existed but I completely forget who.

Sound fitting is easy, even with the first batch. Its mostly just the decoder looks like its perched at a bit of an angle depending on speaker choice. Lots more speaker options now than when the 68 released.

I’ve seen the etched inserts as well, but like you, I can’t remember who did them, though Shawplan seems to ring a bell.  I’ll get a good friend to install the sound as he’s brilliant at fitting it and just seems to get it to sound ‘right’.

7 hours ago, Kaput said:

Shawplan do the etched discs and they are easy to fit. I did all my early batch ones

I think it may have been Railtec  who did the 3D decals

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2024 at 22:14, railtec-models said:

4mm-2029

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2672

£2.90 a set.

spacer.png

I've used these myself, I gave the wheel a coat of silver paint first but they come out really good.

68 wheel.jpg

68 wheel 2.jpg

Transfer Quality is top notch and well worth doing.

No affiliation with Railtech other than a very satisfied Customer.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...