Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, KNP said:

My Grandson has been with us today and he has been ‘playing trains’.

When he left a few moments ago he told me had sorted out the layout…….

No wonder the Station Master has been pulling his hair out!

8A2295D7-CB45-42E1-8485-45FC217DA778.jpeg.c33282f2148924c351e28884014bce19.jpeg

Normal services will resume once I sort this out

Yes but when are you going to find another door off its hinges?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Lovely shot @KNP Although I wonder if cattle trains would have run on a Saturday in the 1930’s as there would be no markets until Monday.

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks

Errrrrr....?

Relocating empty stock?

Archive picture?

Special market day to celebrate the ?????

Just a picture?

From the local trainspotters taken a few days ago?

or more likely

No idea?

Broccoli. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Yes but when are you going to find another door off its hinges?

The story has it that many years ago, a young master Kevin set off from his home in Little Muddle Earth, in search of the missing door...

• Funny 7

17 minutes ago, Gedward said:

The story has it that many years ago, a young master Kevin set off from his home in Little Muddle Earth, in search of the missing door...

Was that the film - Little Muddle and an unexpected journey?

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

At least your grandson seems to have done more in one session that the X number of posts than you Kevin, at last LM has seen some real life :lol:

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Was that the film - Little Muddle and an unexpected journey?

After many weeks travelling, he came upon a crossing. Alas, he had much time to wait as the level crossing keeper proclaimed. "You shall not pass!"

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Is never the answer to any question!! (God awful stuff)

Oh yes it is. It's the answer to who directed the early Bond films? Cubby Broccoli. 

And the vegetable is really good for us, and helps ward off cancer, allegedly. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Is never the answer to any question!! (God awful stuff)

24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Oh yes it is. It's the answer to who directed the early Bond films? Cubby Broccoli. 

And the vegetable is really good for us, and helps ward off cancer, allegedly. 

Well, yes - but what's called broccoli in Cornwall is called cauliflower in England.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

As featured on Crackerjack. 

That used to be a descriptive for anything lame when I was about ten.

"You've won a Crackerjack pencil!"

I bet it's a bloody HB, just like you can pinch from school....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That used to be a descriptive for anything lame when I was about ten.

"You've won a Crackerjack pencil!"

I bet it's a bloody HB, just like you can pinch from school....

So about as good as a Blankety Blank chequebook and pen? 

Talking of which sceptred tv show, when we lived in Kent our neighbours were teachers. Ann had a tale of a female colleague, taking registration on a Monday morning, and asking the class "W*nkety W*nk on Friday, did you see it?" Stunned silence, then one boy said "We didn't know you knew that word, Miss!" 

• Funny 12

Just now, Oldddudders said:

So about as good as a Blankety Blank chequebook and pen? 

Talking of which sceptred tv show, when we lived in Kent our neighbours were teachers. Ann had a tale of a female colleague, taking registration on a Monday morning, and asking the class "W*nkety W*nk on Friday, did you see it?" Stunned silence, then one boy said "We didn't know you knew that word, Miss!" 

My kind of teacher.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Reminds me of being told in a woodwork class to "Never put your fingers where you couldn't put your kn*b end with confidence." 

The teacher in question had the last joint of his little finger missing, which made for some disturbing thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Reminds me of being told in a woodwork class to "Never put your fingers where you couldn't put your kn*b end with confidence." 

The teacher in question had the last joint of his little finger missing, which made for some disturbing thoughts.

Why did old-school woodwork teachers have digits missing?
The old scrote who taught woodwork at Hulme Grammar in the 60's had two pieces of fingers missing.
Worrying!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

Are, the old and now completely disappeared, ancient cult of 'digit nipping'. Once practiced by all manner of academic types in the years gone by. Rumour has it was linked to Charles I and badger baiting. But this has never been proved.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Old fashioned woodworking machinery had little in the way of guarding. The stuff we used at school was virtually identical to what we might have seen in the workplace. Many of the woodwork teachers had been apprentice trained before going into teaching. 

Today's schools have utterly dumbed down practical lessons. Why train children for practical tasks? Are they going off at sixteen to get a job in China? There is no machinery anymore, save probably a belt sander the kids scrub nice poisonous bits of MDF upon, even the old drilling machines have been replaced by Christmas cracker items from Machine Mart.

Nowadays, teachers have all their digits and can only think I.T. because they have never done anything but school, university and back to school. The ones I trained with couldn't change a flat tyre if their lives depended upon it. :scratchhead:

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, MrWolf said:

Old fashioned woodworking machinery had little in the way of guarding. The stuff we used at school was virtually identical to what we might have seen in the workplace. Many of the woodwork teachers had been apprentice trained before going into teaching. 

Today's schools have utterly dumbed down practical lessons. Why train children for practical tasks? Are they going off at sixteen to get a job in China? There is no machinery anymore, save probably a belt sander the kids scrub nice poisonous bits of MDF upon, even the old drilling machines have been replaced by Christmas cracker items from Machine Mart.

Nowadays, teachers have all their digits and can only think I.T. because they have never done anything but school, university and back to school. The ones I trained with couldn't change a flat tyre if their lives depended upon it. :scratchhead:

Good point.
I have the scar in my left hand where I had an accident with a big pillar drill.
Certainly taught me drill safety.
Not that I condone injuring pupils to make a safety point.

Having been a safety officer on a big Agric estate in Wiltshire, I know, from unpleasant experience, even experienced workers will have 'brain disconnect' as regards the most obvious of safety proceedures!
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I learned at a very early age that you need to clamp the workpiece firmly when using a drilling machine, otherwise when the drill breaks through, the object being drilled goes round like a helicopter knocking lumps out of your skin. No serious damage, but enough of a scare not to cut corners.

In the workplace, it also helps if you haven't got someone constantly on at you with:

Have you done it yet?

How long are you going to be with that?

I would have that done by now

I wouldn't ask anyone to do a job I couldn't.

Can't you find a quicker way of doing that?

How many have you done?

We're waiting for those?

Have you done it yet?

How long are you going to be?

As infinitum.

Result: aggravated, rush, cut corners, have accident. Be considered incompetent, unskilled, blah blah, get sent on safety course held by someone who has never got his hands dirty in his life (Cue lecture about skin disease caused by oil and dirt...) 

As nauseum.

PS, still have my IOSH Managing Safely certificate somewhere. 

Nobody has ever asked to actually see it!

Edited by MrWolf
Forgot to sign method statement!
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

The old scrote who taught woodwork at Hulme Grammar in the 60's had two pieces of fingers missing.
Worrying!

My old woodwork teacher also had part of two fingers missing. in his case it happened during his time in the Royal Engineers. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

In the workplace, it also helps if you haven't got someone constantly on at you with:

Have you done it yet?

How long are you going to be with that?

I would have that done by now

I wouldn't ask anyone to do a job I couldn't.

Can't you find a quicker way of doing that?

How many have you done?

We're waiting for those?

Have you done it yet?

How long are you going to be?

To which the answer was always something along the lines of "You'll get them quicker if you stop interrupting me."

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I was taught knitting in my primary school- no sign of safety specs then but everyone still had two eyes !

At my next school  my woodwork teacher had all his fingers but the chemistry master managed to burn us, gathered around him, with sulphuric acid by adding water to a test  tube of acid instead of vice versa - again no safety specs! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, ian said:

To which the answer was always something along the lines of "You'll get them quicker if you stop interrupting me."

I do remember a young Production manager  who was a particularly arrogant bully insisting that someone was dragging his feet doing a job and resetting the machine to what he believed was a more efficient speed.

You should have heard the cheers that went up in the milling shop when the traversing drive sheared off the end of the table as a result.

Oddly, I wasn't pestered about progress whilst welding the mounting bracket back together and straightening the lead screw. 

Which I might have taken my time over.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6