Lynmouth to Combe Martin L&B modular 009

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Really good work, the goods shed matches the station very well. Will there be a loading platform inside the doorway?

The size of those signals play with my head, must get used to it being narrow gauge track!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Will there be a loading platform inside the doorway?

Yes it will be a wooden platform, I just need to weather the bit of wood and glue it in. Focus switched to finishing the junction board to box it up and free up the table ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
Big fingers
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some Continental creep has happened and Gratton Lane is no more . . .

So converting it into Combe Martin, the terminus of the fictional branch that started this whole project has started. I’ll be adding buildings to the 2ft long siding module too to make Knapp Down mine siding that will usually go on the end seen above. 

First job was to widen the board by 20mm so the larger Scenecraft building would fit. I took a piece of 2x1 timber and curved off the ends gently and glued it onto the side and re-attached the fascia. 

Freem009

Then I dug out the gravel to extend the platform by about 100mm

Freem009

I dug out some of my plaster cast platform edging strips, painted it and glued it in and back filled to bring the platform level. 

Freem009

Now I need to remove the Down starting signal seen above and fill the hole, (in a full modular meet this can still be used as a through station but it will have to get a temporary signal added).

The Down platform will remain in place for special occasions and will require a hand signal from the Porter/ Signalman if used for passenger trains on fair days. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Really enjoy this thread.

I could be wrong Paul but shouldn't there be a facing connection into the goods yard from the main platform (so wagons could be attached and detatched without the train having to shunt too far in the up direction and block access to the other platform)? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/03/2021 at 17:55, fezza said:

I could be wrong Paul but shouldn't there be a facing connection into the goods yard from the main platform (so wagons could be attached and detatched without the train having to shunt too far in the up direction and block access to the other platform)? 

Initially it was the way round I have it but it was later swapped as you say to directly access the goods yard so both are correct at different times.
I went with the original layout to get a longer loop on the platform side because I’ve shortened the station by so much it fitted in 3 L&B coaches. I could turn it round as I rebuild but I couldn’t get enough left hand points so it went back the same way. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve added the goods yard in ready for relaying the track. 

First I levelled the trackbed with a ply support.

Freem009

Drilled the holes,

Freem009

and added brass ‘bullet’ dowels. The goods yard will have a leg to support it and a clamp or a 6mm bolt to attach it to the station. 

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9

54 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Initially it was the way round I have it but it was later swapped as you say to directly access the goods yard so both are correct at different times.
I went with the original layout to get a longer loop on the platform side because I’ve shortened the station by so much it fitted in 3 L&B coaches. I could turn it round as I rebuild but I couldn’t get enough left hand points so it went back the same way. 
I get the extra red area length this way. 
B85CD8D0-15E7-4AFF-BAEB-55C7B72C3D67.jpeg.c88a8aa9c63e40f0f4abefb4f4d7db10.jpeg

Thanks, yes that makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Today started with doodling to decide where fences etc were going to go on the new goods shed. 

Freem009

Then I wired it all up and tried out some alternative scenery ideas and got the track painted. 

Freem009

Checked the portly Bachmann van fitted

Freem009

Then I spent days? Hours? Well it seemed like it faffing with ez line,

Freem009

well I think I did . .

no it’s ok I obviously did

Freem009

it is indeed very flexible

Freem009

and finally when I boxed it up I found all the tall bits missed each other! All in all a useful day 

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, roundhouse said:

Are they the ratio posts? I still have fencing to add on Blackmoor.

Yes and I forgot to scrape the sides like I did on the last batch I realised in the pics.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

About time we had some bufferstops, there are 3D print versions but they worked out rather a lot for the number I needed. Out came the plastic box to make my own!

Bufferstops

Painted and installed

Freem009

The ones on the terminus were drilled out and glued over a pin driven into the board, just in case . .

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Basic ground cover has gone on and got a good soaking

Freem009

and the station was re-ballasted

Freem009

I also started the gunpowder store for Knapp Down. 

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I built the coal staithes very loosely based on the tall L&B ones. 
I didn’t have the right size strip so I built it over a sheet base. 

Freem009

and it took an hour to grade the coal!

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The coal piles have grown and I’ve added dust around the piles as it was all a bit neat. A roller has turned up in the yard to grab a few buckets of coal to get him home as the steep hills have eaten through his supplies. 

Freem009

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The coal man now has a delivery truck, supplied by Autocraft models on eBay in kit form. A couple of hours cleaning the castings and painting. 

Freem009 Lynmouth

Steve the roller driver is playing Mr Varley for a bag of coal, if he loses he has to help rerail the wagon!

Freem009 Lynmouth

The roller simmers in the yard

Freem009 Lynmouth

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 15