• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, teaky said:

Since you have now fixed the 08 this may be too late but just in case ...

I bookmarked the following link some time (years?) ago when it was put forward as a solution for split gears on Mainline J72s.

http://www.hafixs.co.uk/products/profglue/

I haven't tried it (yet).

Ah yes, I used to have some of that, bought it from the Hafixs stand at Ally Pally one year. Very good glue, in fact and would happily get some more sometime. Thanks for the link.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Also on the workbench, work continues on the conversion of a Bachmann 64XX to a 74XX:

I'll be following this conversion with interest as I have a Bachmann Body waiting for conversion to 7408.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

CK, is the 2mm x 2mm figures correct, 5/64 in real money or in this case inches.

Sorry, doh! moment, I blame the vegetarian sausages - the timber is 20mm x 20mm (ie. 1" by 1" in old money).

I'll amend the original post.

After the wettest February on record in Donegal (3 x the normal average for the month) we have had two days of sunshine. I suppose I can't take the credit for bringing the fine weather back from New Zealand but we did pick the right month to go away.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It looks like both layouts are fully protected from the corona virus. Could you knock me up a 6'4" tall one with castors on the bottom and arm holes please?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Neil said:

It looks like both layouts are fully protected from the corona virus. Could you knock me up a 6'4" tall one with castors on the bottom and arm holes please?

I have always thought that the good captain’s modelling skills were not to be sneezed at.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Now that the layout itself is virtually complete (apart from some work on the fiddle yard), I've been doing a bit more on the 74XX conversion this afternoon.

Thoughts then turned to giving the chassis another test run on the layout and I found it to be unsatisfactory. It's not really smooth enough at slow speed for my liking and doesn't like the A5 crossover (which is OO-SF), as not all the Bachmann wheels are touching the rail and it sometimes stalls.

Such unreliability isn't acceptable and I know that a compensated chassis would work properly, so I've made the decision to order a High Level chassis kit for it and will probably make building it a priority, together with the whitemetal 16XX kit.

This is now the fourth RTR loco for this layout, where the RTR chassis has failed to live up to expectations and has to be replaced by an etched, compensated example (the others being two Hattons/DJM 14XXs and the Oxford Dean Goods).

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Now that the layout itself is virtually complete (apart from some work on the fiddle yard), I've been doing a bit more on the 74XX conversion this afternoon.

Thoughts then turned to giving the chassis another test run on the layout and I found it to be unsatisfactory. It's not really smooth enough at slow speed for my liking and doesn't like the A5 crossover (which is OO-SF), as not all the Bachmann wheels are touching the rail and it sometimes stalls.

Such unreliability isn't acceptable and I know that a compensated chassis would work properly, so I've made the decision to order a High Level chassis kit for it and will probably make building it a priority, together with the whitemetal 16XX kit.

This is now the fourth RTR loco for this layout, where the RTR chassis has failed to live up to expectations and has to be replaced by an etched, compensated example (the others being two Hattons/DJM 14XXs and the Oxford Dean Goods).

I've had some intermittent, random, stalling with my 7446 lately. I haven't yet opened it up to investigate. As and when I do I'll report back.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2020 at 16:52, Captain Kernow said:

I've made the decision to order a High Level chassis kit for it

My thanks to Chris at High Level and Andrew at Wizard Models, as the chassis and wheels for the 74XX arrived yesterday and I hope to make a start soon.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All a tad Panniertastic. 

Nice...

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

No photos yet but I assembled the hornblocks yesterday and fitted them today. There was no compensation fitted and the wheels were running with the bearings right up on the hornblocks, but the chassis appeared to run nice and smoothly, which was a big relief.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4