The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

On 28/03/2020 at 10:58, Stubby47 said:

Path Mk2.

I wasn't happy with the first one, it was too narrow, plus the garden wall was of the wrong material.

Here I've used mount board, with the top layer peeled on both sides of the wall to get the rough plastered look.

20200328_105500.jpg.3de9843b8390cf8ca70e8156a853c36a.jpg

I like the way you experiment with different materials, Stu! For rough stone walls on one of my models I used the technique on ‘Mouldy Raspberry’ s Yorkshire Dales layout - the cat litter was very cheap and the process was quite messy, so recommend doing the walls before painting, if possible! https://youtu.be/F5mkiT0gNuQ

Edited by Marly51

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I started my working life as a cartographic draughtsman, although I always wanted to be an architect.  Now I'm making model buildings I've realised my childhood dream :)

The bonus is they don't have to have people in, be water tight or even structurally sound.

Real buildings aren't symmetrical, old buildings aren't even square - throw away your rules and your straight edges and let your spirit run free.

Why does that last sentence give me a vision of a white flabby ar$e disappearing away from me along some Cornish beach.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Marly51 said:

I like the way you experiment with different materials, Stu! For rough stone walls on one of my models I used the technique on ‘Mouldy Raspeberry’ s Yorkshire Dales layout - the cat litter was very cheap and the process was quite messy, so recommend doing the walls before painting, if possible! https://youtu.be/F5mkiT0gNuQ

Thanks for the link.

As this is a Cornwall-based layout dry stone walls are somewhat out of scope. 

I did ponder about making a Cornish Hedge, but they are more used in around fields or alongside roads,  so chose a simple rendered wall similar to the house.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Why does that last sentence give me a vision of a white flabby ar$e disappearing away from me along some Cornish beach.

Yeah, thanks for that...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

images-12.jpeg

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Near side wall now in place and pinned whilst the glue dries.

Starting to look how I envisaged.

20200328_150013.jpg.49b447965a369b32b11ebf3b6da04b38.jpg

The post box just brings the whole scene to life - very nice Stu.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The post box just brings the whole scene to life - very nice Stu.

I've driven past the building many times and not noticed it. It was only when I was making Shepherds and my subconscious mind was looking for suitable buildings it jumped out at me. You're right, the postbox lifts it from the everyday to part of daily life.

I then started to notice other postboxes in unusual places.

This is not far away.

England https://maps.app.goo.gl/8bfXXedov4KB8svv6

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You know how sometimes both halves of your brain don't connect...

There is an advert on here for some Knightwing security fencing - 4 sprues, each with 24" of fence, 72" in total.

I wondered if that would be enough for the front of the yard, completely forgetting the whole layout is only 48" long...

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

You know how sometimes both halves of your brain don't connect...

There is an advert on here for some Knightwing security fencing - 4 sprues, each with 24" of fence, 72" in total.

I wondered if that would be enough for the front of the yard, completely forgetting the whole layout is only 48" long...

Age doesn't come alone............

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've started a small warehouse for the left side, to act as a view blocker for The Stores exit to the FY.

This will be the rear view, so will have a lean-to shed added to the right hand end and a yard with an out house (!) and some junk.

20200403_221849.jpg.280e6eb7bd9922e2f3d40cfe60cdf1bc.jpg

The floor plan is the odd-shaped piece at the top, so part of one end and part of the front will be missing to allow the building to sit at an angle near the side screen. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The full backscene support panelling is now in place.

20200411_135417.jpg.f2d1e333105e8b07cf02119991afde78.jpg

Having used the 'bottle green coloured card, I then found some sheets of 'sky blue' which I could have used instead...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Starting to plan the roads and yard area.

20200411_142751.jpg.5da3cfcbaf6ad952199ee35c30f6a5c0.jpg

I want this to be all gentle gradients, apart from the yard floor, so the road will drop down from the right and the footpath will continue up hill again, past the cottages.

• Like 7