The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Oops.

1361.jpg.4d2d0ddcfbc94729ea7e13305ebdfe84.jpg

How does  it run Stu. I have a deep mistrust of anything to do with DJM  but I am sorely tempted.......

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Actually in the garage working on the layout.

1st job, open up the left hand ground near the tunnel to give room for the cutting.

1st disaster- have cut through the feed wires to the track.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Actually in the garage working on the layout.

1st job, open up the left hand ground near the tunnel to give room for the cutting.

1st disaster- have cut through the feed wires to the track.

How did you do that? 

• RMweb Gold

Today I have received a couple of MERG kits, one to replace the duff EzyPoints unit already on T-CATS, and one for a simple speed controller to form part of the control panel for The Circle.

Might need to get the soldering iron out tonight...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Soldering was achieved last evening, I now have a simple speed controller that can be attached to the control panel. I also found a DPDT switch and just need to adjust the wiring to utilise a 12vdc feed rather than the 16vac (unless I also purchase and make the 12vdc supply module).

Having moved the layouts around in the garage, I can also make and add the fiddle stick / yard without this being clobbered by the opening overhead door. I need to remove the accumulated spare wood from behind the layout to enable the loop to be deployed, which hopefully will be the weekend.  A quick replacement for the duff servo board with one I'd made previously and replacement of the main feed wires will then enable the layout to be fully tested.

The final piece of track needs relaying, for some reason the ends of the rail have curled upwards where the isolating section is - it's done this twice on different pieces of rail, so I'm not sure of the reason (apart from probably my clumsiness).

Then I'll need to add a baseplate for the town's buildings, which can then be made on the bench and added piecemeal.

Painting and grassing of the front areas can also be done, I need to consider how to disguise the FY exit on the left. A row of terraced house backs was one option, but I'm not sure Nanpean (as I've modelled it) was that 'urban'.

So, lots to do, but as the evenings are getting lighter and slightly warmer (so the paint & glue dries!) the rate of progress should improve.

When is the Taunton event again ?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With much more than a month to go, an idea has surfaced which is to use some of my existing buildings. 

For example I made a farm complex in the style of Allan Downes, which suitably altered will sit front left.

I also have a model of a Leeds building named after Shortliner, which should fit along the back or on the right.

A visit to the loft and a search through some boxes is required...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Much more than a month Stu, no worries...

:swoon:

Al

:help:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This is the main control panel for T-CATS. 

Those observant among you will notice a new rotary switch and associated DPDT switch. These are to control The Circle.

20200314_122514.jpg.91cb49aded1bcb7d99af7ad6152006a5.jpg

This is the circuit board attached to the aforementioned switches, which should be providing the ability to vary the output voltage from 1.2v to 10.75v.

20200314_122524.jpg.44f2d24426cddf80cb0894907580bf69.jpg

Currently it's providing between 0v and 1.2v.

And I don't know why.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Currently it's providing between 0v and 1.2v.

And I don't know why.

Can you annotate the various leads and show the tracks?

Is red and purple the output?

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Red is 12v, Purple is 0v.

Brown are to the pot, green & brown are output to the DPDT.

I've checked the orientation of the bigger capacitor and the diode, and checked there are no stray feeds across the copper tracks.

The components match the photos and diagram in the instructions.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The copper tracks

Looks like you might have a dry joint on the output pin of the LM317

20200315_095442.jpg.a02f1180ea29c0627ae80fccc8b5b88c.jpg

EDIT: If you short out the top track with the ground track, that should give you max output - equivalent to the pot being at lowest resistance.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1