The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Looks like you might have a dry joint on the output pin of the LM317

20200315_095442.jpg.a02f1180ea29c0627ae80fccc8b5b88c.jpg

EDIT: If you short out the top track with the ground track, that should give you max output - equivalent to the pot being at lowest resistance.

Al.

Blimey, well spotted.

That makes some sense too, as if the circuit had been wrong I'd have no output at all.

Will get the iron out later and fix that. 

Thanks Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, with cancellation of the SWAG day and Hayle MRC Spring show, I now have ample time to finish T-CATS properly. 

What would have been compromises with some of the buildings can now be slower, more detailed processes and the ground works and infrastructure can be finished to a better quality.

Hopefully there will be events later in the year at which attendance is required, if not I can happily play on my own.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is a very rough sketch of what I want to do with the cottage at front right.

cott_1.jpg.51ac7edb883da16f497b400cf55e797a.jpg

The garden will be made into a veg patch, plus a hardstanding area for a vehicle outside the shed. The path will be raised to be a suitable height to access the post box, so will have a high retaining wall on the nearside.  There will be little picket-fence style gates, one at the front and one just behind the house.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark. 

Re the postbox... on Google Maps, search for the Punch Bowl & Ladle at Penelewey, near Truro, travel a little way south, turn 180° and view the cottage across the road.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks Mark. 

Re the postbox... on Google Maps, search for the Punch Bowl & Ladle at Penelewey, near Truro, travel a little way south, turn 180° and view the cottage across the road.

Just visited said cottage via google maps - very impressive modelling, nice work Sir.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Agreed with Mark had a look very impressed at the likeness, managed to reverse its end too.

How do you go about it Stu a drawing first or guess some measurements and crack on?

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold

The whole building is a mirror image.

I'm trying to find the build comments/images in the Shepherds Halt thread.. 

Edit: 

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

How do you go about it Stu a drawing first or guess some measurements and crack on? 

As my previous posts don't seem to cover this, I usually sketch the dimensions on a piece of card then cut to suit. Most dimensions are guesswork,  based on a couple of other guesses. Eg the door is not full height, so approx 6ft x 3ft, so 24mmx12mm. Then everything is proportionally spaced from there.

As long as it looks like the original ( and can be recognised as such) that's close enough for me.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This is something I don't do very often - experimenting.

I want the path to be an old stone one, where the stones have sunk into the soil leaving a rough top.

The sort of path found on mountain trails.

This is coarse ballast, tamped into household filler.

20200328_095631.jpg.6ceb52abc3bf0fe97f12c3aab3712fe7.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Path Mk2.

I wasn't happy with the first one, it was too narrow, plus the garden wall was of the wrong material.

Here I've used mount board, with the top layer peeled on both sides of the wall to get the rough plastered look.

20200328_105500.jpg.3de9843b8390cf8ca70e8156a853c36a.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

This is something I don't do very often - experimenting.

I want the path to be an old stone one, where the stones have sunk into the soil leaving a rough top.

The sort of path found on mountain trails.

This is coarse ballast, tamped into household filler.

20200328_095631.jpg.6ceb52abc3bf0fe97f12c3aab3712fe7.jpg

Maybe run two more paths either side of this one using different grades of ballast, to get random sized stones. Then paint and weather all 3 paths and see which you prefer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Maybe run two more paths either side of this one using different grades of ballast, to get random sized stones. Then paint and weather all 3 paths and see which you prefer.

Like I said, I don't often experiment  - :)

This has proved the concept so will be used.

The only problem at the moment is the air is too cold for anything to dry.

I might have to paint the inside of the porch instead... :(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I might have to paint the inside of the porch instead...

No, no, no, you can't, the weather's all wrong for porch painting. It'll never dry...

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Porch painted: ceiling, (esp where damaged due to water ingress) plus two walls each side of the inner door.

Plus, glue/filler now dried on layout in garage ( south facing overhead door open to let in sunshine).

Brownie points- 0 (task not completed within 30 minutes of initial request,  some weeks ago).

Edited by Stubby47
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m liking the slabs Stu

I wanted a 'buried in the grass' look, so just rounded the corners off some squares of thin card and cut a shallow trench to put them in. Once the glue has dried I'll fill the surrounding area then it'll be ready for grass.

I'll be using the Gordon Gravett method of planting grass with tweezers, just because there will be so little and it needs to be in the right place. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I wanted a 'buried in the grass' look, so just rounded the corners off some squares of thin card and cut a shallow trench to put them in. Once the glue has dried I'll fill the surrounding area then it'll be ready for grass.

I'll be using the Gordon Gravett method of planting grass with tweezers, just because there will be so little and it needs to be in the right place. 

looks brilliant, as it’s probably become apparent I really struggle with irregular and random (probably because as a draughtsman I’m  expected to do things straight, square and symmetrical) but I’m slowly  unlearning :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

looks brilliant, as it’s probably become apparent I really struggle with irregular and random (probably because as a draughtsman I’m  expected to do things straight, square and symmetrical) but I’m slowly  unlearning :lol:

I started my working life as a cartographic draughtsman, although I always wanted to be an architect.  Now I'm making model buildings I've realised my childhood dream :)

The bonus is they don't have to have people in, be water tight or even structurally sound.

Real buildings aren't symmetrical, old buildings aren't even square - throw away your rules and your straight edges and let your spirit run free.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1