The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Gold

Quite a good deal of progress today.

The upper board has had the necessary cutouts to accommodate the cuttings for the circle. These will be quite steep sided, so I'm thinking rock face rather than grass bank.

The correct height for the upper board has also been determined, an extra layer of chipboard raises the ply sides enough.

I'm also experimenting with two laminations of 5mm ply to create the folding section - not sure how strong this will be, so might need to use a piece of 9mm ply instead.

The two sides and back will be added once the lower level track is in place, ballasted and painted.

The upper level will then be worked on, with wire-in-tube extending backwards to allow some sort of mechanical operation off sceen.

With only two points, this won't be too onerous.  I'll re-use the Dingham magnets from DM4MS v1 as well.

The main scenic work will then be added, possibly using that lightweight rigid foam for building insulation.

So far, all is going to what I laughingly call a plan.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've now cut and fitted the folding rear loop.

20190811_135114.jpg.7cbf21d3a4f7b77f4987a424aa86c3bd.jpg

20190811_135129.jpg.ddff8c11464d9f1c0c785f0973a4066a.jpg

Upon seeing which, No.2 Son proclaimed "Looks like you're making a giant toilet..."

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I've now cut and fitted the folding rear loop.

20190811_135114.jpg.7cbf21d3a4f7b77f4987a424aa86c3bd.jpg

20190811_135129.jpg.ddff8c11464d9f1c0c785f0973a4066a.jpg

Upon seeing which, No.2 Son proclains "Looks like you're making a giant toilet..."

Nice carrying handle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On Tuesday, August 08, 2017 at 15:14, Captain Kernow said:

Horse-drawn?

Just catching up with this project. Excellent stuff going on.

However, I have to take issue with the above from the good Captain.  These look like your handiwork, Stubbers. 

Too good to have been sketched by Dobbin and his mates and frankly I struggle to see how one could have made such a glaring  error. 

I strongly suspect that CK had been at the Beetroot liqueurs  before posting the above. 

Rob. 

view_1.jpg.c4ce7fc036f028554bbb41363c94cc47.jpg

post-7025-0-57463500-1502190902_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It might be just me, but apart from the extra rail there is a distinct family resemblance to the PSMT...

Absolutely, and this folding loop idea may well be added to the PSMT if it prooves to be reliable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Today, if all goes to plan, I will be experimenting with servos, for point and uncoupler operation...

I'm using a MERG Ezi-Point module, which I built last year.

Having previously used a 9v battery as a power supply, which seemed a little under powered, I sorted out a 12v supply instead.

However, the servo then jumped about quite erratically when the on/off switch was used.

I then tried the 9v battery again and the servo was not moving. A 2nd servo was no different. 

I've either blown the board, or something , so I'll need to make another board.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/08/2019 at 20:50, Stubby47 said:

Having previously used a 9v battery as a power supply, which seemed a little under powered, I sorted out a 12v supply instead.

However, the servo then jumped about quite erratically when the on/off switch was used.

I then tried the 9v battery again and the servo was not moving. A 2nd servo was no different. 

Servos only run on 5V (some use 6V), so upping the voltage would not help. 

Servos can take a couple of Amps to move, so it is more current that is probably required.

I suspect the battery was dead, or a low current one (as supplied for running clocks).

The EZ point module is designed to handle a 12V supply, but that would be a regulated 12V, and not the unregulated and unsmoothed output from an old train set transformer that is actually peaking at nearer 20V. However, the only potential damage would appear to be to the electrolytic capacitors. I don't know what voltage capacitors are supplied with the kit, but it they are only 16V they could blow, often quite spectacularly.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, The Circle is complete.

More testing has revealed I need hinges with less movement - the gate hinges have too much slop meaning the two levels ( baseboard & loop) are not aligned.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Having laid the Circle track, I know realise it's getting close to ballasting time.

This will done as a backwater line, rather than a full mainline, so smaller stones, with weeds and moss growing through, especially in the cuttings.

As I'm visiting Trelowarren Street anyway today, I might have to wander in to KMRC.

• Like 1