The Circle and the Stores (T-CATS)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

So no-one's spotted the potentially catastrophic wiring cock-up yet?

I probably ought not to connect the lower track directly to the 12v dc input power feed.  

I had spotted 2 wires going off somewhere to power something uncontrolled,  but was too polite to mention it.

I look forward to seeing the trains whizzing around, under control, when it is all wired up and running.

Well done in documenting where and what the wires are. I wish other people would do the same, especially the clubs I have belonged to. It does help when trying to debug a problem, even if it is your own train set.

100_5774.JPG.936fad8a1c9ff29a3a229f4e69b9cad7.JPG

100_5775.JPG.5a4b3a0314afa01c5d5e728d785adaa8.JPG

And I should know. There are even more wires now since I put in the signal wiring.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Wooden dowels now in place, just need to position and connect the servos.

20190918_201925.jpg.5d43214cadc8ea6fb71490845557851c.jpg

They will be outside the board, at the rear, for ease of access and to be closer to the control boards.

More pics when this is all in place.

However, trying out the position has enabled me to determine which pair of connections to use on the DPDT switch, so the orientation of the toggle indicates the track selected.

I like that method of operating points but I've used curtain eyes to support the dowel. What are those white those brackets, I like the look of them, they look pretty sturdy?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

I like that method of operating points but I've used curtain eyes to support the dowel. What are those white those brackets, I like the look of them, they look pretty sturdy?

Steve.

They are corner brackets,  available from most hardware places.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W2MZY7F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_s.XGDbFVT0WEB

I've just drilled out one hole to pass the 6mm dowel through.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Here are the individual wiring diagrams.

Controllers:

panel_wiring_controllers.PNG.959c79ed9601bc01c927ba74ba9c1c28.PNG

Servos:

panel_wiring_servos.PNG.3f3a4f16bfafdf2880f93c80dbd7174e.PNG

The Circle track power:

panel_wiring_stores.PNG.2e209f25735449ed86cdc30c9e2a393e.PNG

Uncouplers:

panel_wiring_uncouplers.PNG.ac6fbc4537e9ddd3cb18a54ffdf77d78.PNG

A pack of 11 colours of wires (x 2m) has been ordered from Railway Scenics (no connection, other than did I mention they are coming to the 2020 SWAG party in Taunton).

These will be used to wire the control panel in a similar colour pattern to the above diagrams.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I had spotted 2 wires going off somewhere to power something uncontrolled,  but was too polite to mention it.

I look forward to seeing the trains whizzing around, under control, when it is all wired up and running.

Well done in documenting where and what the wires are. I wish other people would do the same, especially the clubs I have belonged to. It does help when trying to debug a problem, even if it is your own train set.

And I should know. There are even more wires now since I put in the signal wiring.

Sorry to steer away for a second Stu, but Clive care to explain the nuts with  crimps which look like they could be your droppers there in the photo?

Cheers 

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Sorry to steer away for a second Stu, but Clive care to explain the nuts with  crimps which look like they could be your droppers there in the photo?

Cheers 

I think they are the back of the point stud contacts. Neat idea with the cable crimps - I used 3 nuts per brass bolt which was a pain to wire up.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Cheers 

Hi Ade

Stu gets the house point tonight. They are solder tags bolted on to the control panel. The bolt heads act as studs for the probe and stud contact method I use for point control. Nip back a couple of pages and there is a photo of the front of the control panel (that is bigger than Stu's layout).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Prior to this evening's episode of model railway mayhem, I spent some time in the garage designing the control panel.

I have the necessary thin ply and stripwood in stock, so just need to mark out, cut and glue the bits together.

A demountable panel of 10" × 6" will be hung on the left end of the layout, connected by the 25-way cable detailed above. 

One extra provision I do need is a contradiction of the earlier mistake - I do need to allow a direct plug-in to the track feed for The Circle, to allow use of a different controller.

Hopefully this panel will start to take shape tomorrow. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Panel switches now wired up.

20190921_170428.jpg.505924e7043ce3e2f56677eb3d011abc.jpg

The dangling wires are for the power supplies and controller input.

I still need to add the power/controller sockets, plus add the main layout cable to the 25-way choc block.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And the panel from the front.

20190923_081949.jpg.e0fcd81795c0e950c039d3e614209c1d.jpg

Not sure on the finish yet - varnished wood, painted green ( as Tinner's Forge frame, and this eventually ), white... dunno yet.

Edited by Stubby47
Pic added

On 19/09/2019 at 00:25, Clive Mortimore said:

:mellow:

CDBF4BF2-82F7-4592-BDC4-C90562201CA4.jpeg.f01ddae7dac430a41d37b349a49ef640.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Call that a control panel........I have built layouts bigger than that. :tomato:

It's 30ft x 18ft, I was stood 3 doors down to photograph it.

Edited by Stubby47
Can't multiply properly...
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Due to a slightly inclement weather situation in sunny Cornwall, this evening's walking football was cancelled.

Instead, I have been adding the controller sockets for the Stores track.

Subsequent testing using the Circle has proved all wiring which has been used so far is correct.

Next stage will be to wire the Stores baseboard, prior to laying the track and fitting the servos.

This can be done with flying leads which will just leave the 25-way cable to do.

• Like 1