Ebay annoyances

Butler Henderson

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I think this is a common occurrence from sellers incorrectly assuming what an item is, most of us if not selling but discussing models on this and other sites

I brought a 7mm scale 14xx whitemetal loco and showed it on here, I called it a Springside model, which was totally incorrect, I was told it was a CCW loco and upon checking the chassis was either a Springside or one of a very similar type, certainly not a chassis which was available at the time the kit was available. For me as I visited the old CCW shop in the Bridal Path in Watford (very close to the Junction station) as a very wide eyed 7 year old. My parents could have never been able to buy me one of these this model) The model is of far more worth to me than the Springside kit I now have

Clearly from the description I assume its a Wills or very early SEF kit, but without seeing the chassis I may be wrong

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think this is a common occurrence from sellers incorrectly assuming what an item is, most of us if not selling but discussing models on this and other sites

I brought a 7mm scale 14xx whitemetal loco and showed it on here, I called it a Springside model, which was totally incorrect, I was told it was a CCW loco and upon checking the chassis was either a Springside or one of a very similar type, certainly not a chassis which was available at the time the kit was available. For me as I visited the old CCW shop in the Bridal Path in Watford (very close to the Junction station) as a very wide eyed 7 year old. My parents could have never been able to buy me one of these this model) The model is of far more worth to me than the Springside kit I now have

Clearly from the description I assume its a Wills or very early SEF kit, but without seeing the chassis I may be wrong

I did contact the seller and advise that this was not as described and could lead to buyers being misled. 

I was informed that this was a Hattons kit. 

I replied saying I had my doubts and that it looked more like a SEF kit but in any event, the description should be amended to prevent any misunderstanding and was told to stop bothering him. 

So I have. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I did contact the seller and advise that this was not as described and could lead to buyers being misled. 

I was informed that this was a Hattons kit. 

I replied saying I had my doubts and that it looked more like a SEF kit but in any event, the description should be amended to prevent any misunderstanding and was told to stop bothering him. 

So I have. 

Rob. 

Even more strange, it's not like his other stuff has been labled in similar misleading ways, you'd think he'd be happy to correct it - he has plenty of other kit built stuff with correct sources.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/03/2024 at 13:31, chuffinghell said:

It’s taken me an hour to get my account closed, passed from one representative to another

What part of “I wish to close my account” does eBay not understand?

I had the opposite problem when my account somehow got closed when I went a year or more without using it.   When I found I could no longer log in, eBay treated me as a new member and gave me a new user name, which I promptly changed back to the original, however in the process all the previous feedback was lost.  That's why on my about page I honestly declare that I have been a member since 2004 with over 3,000 positive feedbacks yet immediately below this eBay have added Member since 2015 and have only credited me with 1,855 positive feedbacks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Why is it necessary to formally close an account? 

What's wrong with just ceasing to use it if you no longer have any reason to do so?

Are you incurring any real risk by leaving it open?

Its not necessary, I’ve closed it on principle 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Its not necessary, I’ve closed it on principle 

I’m just a big baby and have well and truly thrown all my toys out of my pram 🤣

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2024 at 14:12, Michael Hodgson said:

Why is it necessary to formally close an account? 

What's wrong with just ceasing to use it if you no longer have any reason to do so?

Are you incurring any real risk by leaving it open?

You are risking someone taking it over and stealing your positive reviews and trading under your name. I made this mistake when i shut down a mail order business but left the eBay account open and forgot about it. Remembered a couple of years later to find i couldn't get into it as someone had pinched it. Same as all online accounts, not just eBay. If you don't need an online account always close it and get to them to delete all data as per GDPR and right to be forgotten.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Saw a loco yesterday, listed as used. The description was AI so picked out that it had a highly detailed smokebox door, but failed to mention if it works or has any damage.

I messaged the seller asking and have had no response.

Will be interesting to see if AI increasingly becomes a way of sellers hiding behind the recommended blurb and how eBay react to any increase in returns on the basis of an incomplete or inaccurate description.

Edit. they have actually responded now but my view remains unchanged that when listing something that is going to be sold remotely, the seller should have to write a description. Yet another example of new ways of doing things being introduced that completely miss the point behind doing it the old way. Welcome to old age!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Saw a loco yesterday, listed as used. The description was AI so picked out that it had a highly detailed smokebox door, but failed to mention if it works or has any damage.

I messaged the seller asking and have had no response.

Will be interesting to see if AI increasingly becomes a way of sellers hiding behind the recommended blurb and how eBay react to any increase in returns on the basis of an incomplete or inaccurate description.

Edit. they have actually responded now but my view remains unchanged that when listing something that is going to be sold remotely, the seller should have to write a description. Yet another example of new ways of doing things being introduced that completely miss the point behind doing it the old way. Welcome to old age!

On the other hand it might be a blessing in disguise for others, many search out for such listings in the hope other will not bid and leading to a possible super bargain for others. This is where the skill (or perhaps luck) of the bargain hunter steps in. The lazy seller misses out, as reported many times items listed as not working, seem to spring into life in the hands of a modeler (sometimes without any work). Does AI stand for added interest? of buyer beware ?

I do agree with you, sometimes the old way is best, especially when the seller knows what they are selling and has a few communication skills.

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 09:11, hayfield said:

On the other hand it might be a blessing in disguise for others, many search out for such listings in the hope other will not bid and leading to a possible super bargain for others. This is where the skill (or perhaps luck) of the bargain hunter steps in. The lazy seller misses out, as reported many times items listed as not working, seem to spring into life in the hands of a modeler (sometimes without any work). Does AI stand for added interest? of buyer beware ?

I do agree with you, sometimes the old way is best, especially when the seller knows what they are selling and has a few communication skills.

The last few listings I have done wouldn’t let me write anything other than edit the cringe worthy AI blurb. If I wrote my own it just refused to save it! 

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

The last few listings I have done wouldn’t let me write anything other than edit the cringe worthy AI blurb. If I wrote my own it just refused to save it! 

Mark

Mark

That sounds strange, about two weeks ago I went to one of my sold listings, pressed sell similar and was able to create a completely new listing by editing the old one, something I always do

Have you got any stored templates, this may also be an alternative

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark

Interesting, as yesterday I spotted a couple of listings that included "below is the AI description" followed by said rubbish...

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

If we think the AI descriptions of models are bad, it seems that's nothing compared to some other categories:

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Selling-Tools/a-i-descriptions-are-rubbish/td-p/7493482

Descriptions of clothing that don't include either colour or size...

edit - and from another article: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Anyone-else-like-the-AI-description-feature/td-p/34144374, is this fantastic comment:

I love the AI description feature.

I hope my competitors all continue to use it.

Which tells you a lot!

Edited by Nick C
  • Funny 2

I have just gone to an item which did not sell, used sell similar (not relist), had no issues with AI, now in a save to later format

I also went to an item which had sold again selecting sell similar, when editing no AI interference 

The way I create a listings, which is to find something similar and edit the listing by altering all relevant information/details. A lazy way of doing things but saves a lot of time

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I sold a train last Thursday for around £100.  Buyer notified me that he can't pay until 13th May and asked me to hold the item for him till then, to which I reluctantly agreed as he had ample good feedbacks as a reliable buyer and quick payer and no non-paying bidder strikes.  Just now I see his feedback score has gone up by a further two today, both sellers mentioning prompt payment.   I wouldn't call a 25 day wait for payment "prompt" or I am I just being impatient or being the fall guy who has to wait longer than other sellers to be paid?

Edited by cessna152towser
punctuation
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

If he can't pay now he really shouldn't have purchased,but then you did agree to wait and you're stuck with that.   I hope you won't  be posting the item until you get paid 

He may be waiting to see if he can get the same item cheaper elsewhere but let's hope that is not the case.

Lesson learnt I'm afraid.  Been there myself.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I sold a train last Thursday for around £100.  Buyer notified me that he can't pay until 13th May and asked me to hold the item for him till then, to which I reluctantly agreed as he had ample good feedbacks as a reliable buyer and quick payer and no non-paying bidder strikes.  Just now I see his feedback score has gone up by a further two today, both sellers mentioning prompt payment.   I wouldn't call a 25 day wait for payment "prompt" or I am I just being impatient or being the fall guy who has to wait longer than other sellers to be paid?

Sounds like you've got a punter whose finances are too tight and his credit card is maxed out.  There could be exceptional circumstances which are such that he will come good, but the odds are against that. 

I sold something in January which the buyer couldn't collect immediately.  It's big and awkward to transport, so was listed as collection only.

He still hasn't collected it, but is going to do so in a few days time.  It's been so long ago now that the item is no longer listed on the ebay history, so I assume we can't leave feeedback for each other anyway.  The important difference here is he paid me immediately; he's the one carrying the risk.

• Like 1