Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Perhaps Bachmann would be better off using the later body style work to develop an N gauge version? The only late body style 25s they've done in N were Poole-era tooling.

I think this would have been a consideration anyway given the Farish 25/1 model.

The SLW announcement doesn't make this model dead and buried. Yes I've cancelled my pre-orders, but I'd still count this one as a better prospect than the Heljan offering even sight as yet unseen. The headcode box class 24, while not perfect, is still a darn sight better at representing its prototype than the Heljan 25/2/3 has been seen to be. Whereas I trust that Bachmann will do as equally good a job with their 25s as they did with the headcode 24.

The one certainty for me is that the Heljan model is entirely off my radar, I wouldn't care if it was put in my lap tomorrow and I had to wait for the second run of SLW models before I got any. The SLW announcement for the model we all knew was inevitable from them sooner or later finished off any chance Heljan had to pry money out of my wallet. Harsh? Yes I admit it is harsh, but they had ample opportunity and advice from plenty of people to correct it. I'll still pick up the Bachy 25/1, but for now its far enough away to become a wait and see whether SLW also go this route rather than remain a pre-order certainty, but the headcode 24 stands up commendably well to the SLW 24/0 so its still game on. I can also imagine picking up the Bachy 25/2 at some point too; just not several of them as I had originally envisaged.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, is the model of D5282 suitable to renumber as D7540 or are there fundamental differences between the locos. Thanks Fred 

Both are unboilered late bodyshell 25/2s so the fundamentals are there. Possible areas to look at which will need a photo are:

Exhaust - silencer or later 

Boiler room grille - plated or not

Bodyside boiler filler steps - plated or not

Depends how picky you want to be, those those are the more obvious issues - there is also bogie footsteps and sandboxes if you want to get down to fine detail

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

With my Heljan 25 stripped down for weathering I looked at the possibility of doing a Bachjan hybrid 25/1. I would say it's not impossible but the first issue is cab bulkhead profile, so it's remove Heljan cab insert and use Bachy cab interior. Next is the need for a boiler water tank, the Bachy tank is to long when offered up resulting in almost completely restricting the bogie from pivoting. At this point I gave up, other areas to do would be top cab foot step not present on Bachy body and the 3 chassis cross braces which are painted blue on the under frame. Easy way would be to use the mouldings on the Heljan body but my approach was to look at this conversion without butchering the Heljan body . This still leaves you with the fundamental  flaw in Bachmann's body. Good luck to anyone one that has a go, but it's not for me. 

It seems that SLW has pseudo announced a 25/1 or 25/2 to follow their recently announced 25/3. The precise model isn't announced, only a photo of the front of the ep , which shows both original doors and plated over variants. It is definately a sample from the tooling as glazing is in place, so fairly well advanced. You can see this in the Smaller Supplies threads where a new topic has been opened.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, Markwj said:

According to the latest Bachmann times engineering samples of the 25’s have been received. There is a picture and they look really good but not sure if I can reproduce it here due to copyright.

Interesting , I re-watched the the 2022 announcements last night as I watched it in silence at work initially and they mentioned the samples would be at Alexandra Palace , can't wait to see it as any Sulzer type 2 is of interest to me

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, 37403 said:

Good to hear they have been progressing.

What's the initial thoughts.... improvement over say Heljan?

Shape correct?

Improvement over Heljan? Body shape wise, I think that's a given!!! :D

Question is, how will they compare to SLW? The new Bachmann class 24 models were excellent, and only just beaten by SLW in terms of finesse in a couple of areas, so I would expect the 25's to be the same. The way things are going price wise though, Bachmann's may end up being more expensive than SLW! 

Granted, SLW have not yet announced when their early bodied 25's will be produced. Quite a while I expect, as the later bodied variants, as well as further 24's have understandably been delayed a lot over the last 18 months. But then again, they always keep the cards close to their chest! 

Regards,

Cameron

Thanks Cameron

I was looking at the trader prices for the Bachmann 24 and it comes in around £140 so if Bachmann can align their prices with the Heljan model they'll be in a good position.

I'm looking forward to seeing the examples

On 03/02/2022 at 21:33, Markwj said:

According to the latest Bachmann times engineering samples of the 25’s have been received. There is a picture and they look really good but not sure if I can reproduce it here due to copyright.

I would be amazed if Bachmann didn't want images shared to promote the sale of a model they are making. It's not the same as wanting to retain control of an image that has commercial value in its own right.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 37403 said:

Thanks Cameron

I was looking at the trader prices for the Bachmann 24 and it comes in around £140 so if Bachmann can align their prices with the Heljan model they'll be in a good position.

I'm looking forward to seeing the examples

Suspect closer to £200 will be nearer the mark given 47 pricing but let’s wait and see …. Would love to be proven wrong! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I would be amazed if Bachmann didn't want images shared to promote the sale of a model they are making. It's not the same as wanting to retain control of an image that has commercial value in its own right.

Thanks Andy, don't disagree but I am sure @Andy Y will have some high resolution ugly close up pics to show soon.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/03/2022 at 14:45, sulzer71 said:

If anyone here is at Ally Pally this weekend could you get some photos of the Engineering Prototype Samples Bachmann should have on display please? :)

Good call