Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

If you have a read of the summer 2022 newsletter, there is clear mention of a 25/1 and some tooling shots. 

Roy

There was also a partially decorated 25/1 body shell at York on the SLW stand (from memory painted but not handrails etc) although it was quite tucked away it was definitely there - plates over doors and horns on roof so fairly confident it wasn’t a 24/1. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo as too busy ordering one of the blue later bodied 25’s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SHerr said:

There was also a partially decorated 25/1 body shell at York on the SLW stand (from memory painted but not handrails etc) although it was quite tucked away it was definitely there - plates over doors and horns on roof so fairly confident it wasn’t a 24/1. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo as too busy ordering one of the blue later bodied 25’s.

You are correct , it was 25042 and there's a picture of it on page 23 of the Suttons thread

Edited by sulzer71

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Spotted in the cabinet at Quorn last weekend..

98C91C9D-3BCC-4418-9DF4-E24B0D4D204B.jpeg

0F0330AC-3605-4144-8968-6C5A12F8BA2C.jpeg

What is the status of these? Are they an EP or further along than that? The reason I ask is that there appears to be another obvious "seam" line:

image.png.ba2c078a90a4e2bac7c5534b9bd74ca4.png

On the prototype the cab roof and headcode box wing blend together quite high up as seen on this Flickr link (not my photo): 

25057 (78)

Roy

Roy

11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

What is the status of these? Are they an EP or further along than that? The reason I ask is that there appears to be another obvious "seam" line:

On the prototype the cab roof and headcode box wing blend together quite high up as seen on this Flickr link (not my photo): 

25057 (78)

Roy

Roy

I think decorated samples normally well after EP, so not far off production ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

25057 (78)

Roy

Roy

Seems much less apparent on the green version. These are painted samples, wonder if they are older engineering samples?

25057 (78)

Roy

Roy

There was more than one variation of the wing and how high it blended in on the real thing so a photo of a specific example isn't definitive for assessing a model of a different loco. Class 24s/25s are an absolute minefield.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

25057 (78)

Roy

19 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Seems much less apparent on the green version. These are painted samples, wonder if they are older engineering samples?

Did quite a bit of research on these a few years ago, as well as correspondence with Sulzer guru David Hills.   I came to the conclusion that different batches had different seam lines on their cab roof mouldings. Some right down to the guttering, and others much less so as per your piccie.  Add to the fact that class 25 cabs got swapped around - It is not something i am settled on.  Just glad Bachmann are doing a decent "boilered" 25.  My modelling era is 1960-1975 but if Bachmann do my favourites 25040 and 25245 then I will find it very difficult to resist them. One day back in the early 1980s 25218+25040 worked a charter train down the Cambrian but despite 25218 being ex works, shiny and smelling of new paint it had fuel issues and had shut down. 25040 dumped it on the shed at Machynlleth then returned to the stock and took the train single handedly up the coast to I think Barmouth and back. It always stood out in my view, but being a vaccy only example it didn't have a long life.

On one of only two works tours I saw a flamecut of 25040's cabside at Swindon, bought it and humped it home - DMU to Bristol and a HST back to BHM then an AM4 to Walsall.  Sadly a house move saw it occupy a skip in the street where Ii lived !!!   25245 was a trusty dual braked workhorse and was an all round favourite of mine.  It was also "special" as it had the Royal Train comms plate on the nose ends.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

There was more than one variation of the wing and how high it blended in on the real thing so a photo of a specific example isn't definitive for assessing a model of a different loco. Class 24s/25s are an absolute minefield.

Yep, which is why I show a photo of the real 25057 alongside the model 25057...

Roy

• Like 2

Having a quick search around online piccies I think it was the Darlington built "RSH batch" of 25/2 which had the slighlty different cab roof mouldings.  Take a look at this shot of 25234 to see the "creases"

25234+25196 Crewe | 25234 and 25196 pass Crewe station with … | Flickr

Another one is 25242 working with 25227 on the "Annesley Anabasis" railtour on 2nd April 1983 !!!

Edited by Covkid

3 hours ago, Covkid said:

25245 was a trusty dual braked workhorse and was an all round favourite of mine.  It was also "special" as it had the Royal Train comms plate on the nose ends.  

Here's a pic of 25245 I took at Toton on the 6th November 1982. Might be useful modelling reference for you.

Looking forward to Bachmann releasing their 25s

25245 at Toton 6.11.82.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Looks a pretty good match for 25057 in the period modelled to me.

25057 Crewe station June 11th 1978

But that shows a seam on the front of the headcode box wing, not the back which is what I highlighted. 

Roy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Definitely look like SFX type windows. Would help them to differentiate against the competition so wouldn't be surprised if they go down that route.

The blue version seems to have a similar effect. https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/59403/32-340-Bachmann-Class-25-1-Diesel-Locomotive-number-25-057

Only two models currently. Quite a small initial release if this is maintained.

Edited by E100

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Dont think it looks 'bad' at all - just not as good as the SLW version and now very close in price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2