Bachmann Class 25 retool announced 2018

Phil Bullock

28 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

There Will be some from SLW if they get around to officially launching them too!!These do look good though .

Yep , I'm well aware but it's a question of who's gonna get them out first , if I'm honest I'd rather have the SLW ones as I have several of Phil's products already with more on order but I also have some of the headcode box 24s by Bachmann which I'm currently converting to tablet catcher versions as we still don't know when Sutton's ones will land 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 31/08/2022 at 19:21, BVMR21 said:

It’s certainly interesting this project, looks better than the class 24 on the grills and handrails at least. Should be good to see them properly announce some more liveries and maybe show some livery samples?

Particularly as Bachmann are proceeding with the "early" bodyshell design as opposed to SLW and Heljan's smoother shaped "late" 25s. 

The problems Bachmann face are the myriad of little detail differences between each one.  Although the only significant bodyshell end differences are welded up doors or not, and lamp irons and headboard brackets. All headcode panels retained glass to the end. Bodysides are vac only or dual brakes meaning the filters were hinged on one side.  The second triangular panel was cut in most if not all dual braked examples.  Then the bodyside steps, water filler hatches, No 2 end boiler grille etc etc, as well as the five without boiler water tanks  029 030 031 032 and 242  I am confident Bachmann will produce some beauties for us if the 24s are anything to go by.  

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

I wonder when these will actually appear , unfortunately nothing from the current Suttons line up of 25s suits my modelling needs so hopefully Bachmann do one to put me on for the time being

According to the current Bachmann Times (Collectors Club magazine) they have passed the EP stage and are having their livery artworks prepared. Next will be the livery samples and then production

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

I see the blue version is still having an identity crisis, simultaneously listed as both 25057 & 25060!

Gosh, don't tell me they're 'doing a Hornby' from decades ago and supplying a 'choose your number' transfer sheet. I wouldn't really regard that as progress 🤭!

25s were not regular on the West Highland but we’re not uncommon. I model in 1983 but have some Heljan 27s to backdate to 1980 sitting patiently for sound decoders. I’m eagerly awaiting an early series 25 being announced by SLW but if Bachmann produce something suitable before I would probably take the plunge. But! Nothing sounds as good as an SLW sound project and speaker combination 🤔

However that said Bachmann don’t exactly release many variants in one go so I’m not holding my breath. How many years have they been producing 37s? And still no banger blue, cutaway cowels, oval buffer split box has ever been produced other than a commission. Won’t hold my breath for fear of suffocation. 
My immediate needs are catered for to a degree with my Baccy 37s and soon to arrive Accurascale ones but I would absolutely love a really decent looking and sounding 25228. I’ve learned to be patient.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

25s were not regular on the West Highland but we’re not uncommon. I model in 1983 but have some Heljan 27s to backdate to 1980 sitting patiently for sound decoders. I’m eagerly awaiting an early series 25 being announced by SLW but if Bachmann produce something suitable before I would probably take the plunge. But! Nothing sounds as good as an SLW sound project and speaker combination 🤔

However that said Bachmann don’t exactly release many variants in one go so I’m not holding my breath. How many years have they been producing 37s? And still no banger blue, cutaway cowels, oval buffer split box has ever been produced other than a commission. Won’t hold my breath for fear of suffocation. 
My immediate needs are catered for to a degree with my Baccy 37s and soon to arrive Accurascale ones but I would absolutely love a really decent looking and sounding 25228. I’ve learned to be patient.

Don't be too surprised.  There were probably more individual variants of the early bodyshell 25s than class 37s, particularly if you include the cab end ironmongery.  Stuff like battery box doors or lack thereof, plated over bodyside handholds, boiler room grille / cover and boiler room roof, exhausts, bodyside air filters with or without hinges and latches. The 2nd triangular panel etc etc 

My preference from Bachmann would be a vac braked GSYP and a dual braked BFYE pre TOPS - both with the Derby style cabside numbers. I could also be very tempted with an economy green D759x and also the oddball BR blue with late steam crests    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

Interesting . I've never seen a photo of a 25 on WHL . class 20 yes and the usual suspects but not a 25

11 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Interesting . I've never seen a photo of a 25 on WHL . class 20 yes and the usual suspects but not a 25

They’re out there but not so common.
It’s funny how the 20s were so famous for running to Mallaig but this only happened ten or so times during the 80s. Due to a lack of a working 37 at Fort William.

• Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Don't be too surprised.  There were probably more individual variants of the early bodyshell 25s than class 37s, particularly if you include the cab end ironmongery.  Stuff like battery box doors or lack thereof, plated over bodyside handholds, boiler room grille / cover and boiler room roof, exhausts, bodyside air filters with or without hinges and latches. The 2nd triangular panel etc etc 

My preference from Bachmann would be a vac braked GSYP and a dual braked BFYE pre TOPS - both with the Derby style cabside numbers. I could also be very tempted with an economy green D759x and also the oddball BR blue with late steam crests    

Yes, a bit of a minefield.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, rob D2 said:

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

3 of them were regulars… 

😃

but I suspect not what you mean.

But flickr does show at least 1…

https://flic.kr/p/Temv5h

There is a published shot of 25109 on the WHL - possibly in a Bradford Barton book but not seen that piccy of 25231 before.  

4 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

I did but was  only really interested in the 25 the same samples as last time.End of the year ETA

Gives us time to save then David 😀

My problem is I want two Accurascale GSYP D69ers which they haven't announced yet and two Bachmann 25s, but also not the ones they have advertised yet !!!