My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

Been doing a bit of drawing tonight.

I think the first piccy shows the side sof the restaurant car the top one is from above and the lower one is hopefully the other side. If anyone had any extra info on the coach, would be appreciated.

post-2873-0-03217400-1525121952_thumb.jpg

Next up, is a corridor brake that looks like it may be an interesting build, again any extra info you chaps may be able to help me with.......

post-2873-0-69677600-1525122102_thumb.jpg

I think that building three at a time like the last builds was a bit too much, so it'll be one at a time from now.

Seeya soon

Scott

• Like 4

If I can pick up from post 41, some more progress on the 6 wheelers I'm building.

D84_XFL_4.jpg

D. 84 Lavatory First now on a rolling chassis. This vehicle has rowmark sides, 3D printed ends and brass droplights from 51L/RDEB.

D84_XFL_2.jpg

From above you can see how I've held it together, with a piece of Plastruct angle superglued to the end. A piece of scrap etch with two captive nuts is glued to that, then holes marked and drilled in the floor to suit. Countersunk 10BA bolts up from below then hold everything together. To disassemble, the bolts are removed and the floor drops out.

D84_XFL_3.jpg

From below, the copperclad side of the paxolin floor with the screw heads visible. Solebars are 4mm x 2mm brass angle soldered along their length and filed to be a very snug fit between th ebuffer beams. 14mm W irons from Comet, one fixed, one rocking and the centre axle floats on the end of a piece of .45 mm wire.

1938_train_1.jpg

The start of the 1938 train - hopefully I'll be somewhere near completing it when the Stirling Single turns up.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

That's an elegant  (and cheap) solution to the six wheel problem.  How does it run?  Also do you have a stop to prevent the centre wheels from touching their axleboxes?

BTW thank you to Scott for being so inclusive and welcoming the work of others on the thread he started.  I know that threads aren't really the originator's property, but some do operate that way.

• Like 1

I've always done 6 wheelers like this, either with the Comet cradle or just using a piece of 2mm ID tube and never had a problem. It needs to hang fairly centrally and the wire needs to impart slight downward pressure on the axle, but I can't honestly say I've had any problem with it. A bit of paper or masking tape on the underside of the floor prevents both wheels touching and shorting. IN this case there won't be a problem with them touching the axleboxes as they are 3D printed (Mike Trice again), so non-conductive.

Edited by jwealleans

Jonathan, nice looking 6 wheelers you have there. Very interested in these as I have future plans for a couple of 6 wheeled vehicles and want to know how the middle set have enough give on a radius.

Buhar, your most welcome. If you have an interest in this, whether your just starting out or have experience of scratchin', any ideas, comments, crits or you have a preferred way of doing something that you think might benefit us scratchers', please share.

Thanks again chaps

Scott

Edited by gobbler

The photographs are taken on the test track in my workshop; I have a pair of PECO short radius points face to face and a pair of medium forming a double reverse curve, which all my stock is tested on. I also have a plain track curve at about 2'9" radius for the same purpose. They go through all that with no problem.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

If I can pick up from post 41, some more progress on the 6 wheelers I'm building.D84_XFL_4.jpgD. 84 Lavatory First now on a rolling chassis. This vehicle has rowmark sides, 3D printed ends and brass droplights from 51L.

Question from an elderly ignoramus but is “rowmark” a manufacturer or a material?

Tim T

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps, I did say I'd post something if any thing interesting had gone on.......well

I've spent a couple of evenings with the mid-Essex mrc, taken a few bits down. I'd like to report that all my GE coaches ran nice and smoothly.

I took my N7 down and apart from a very minor hiccup, ran very well. So I have decided to start a basic Westinghouse gear.

post-2873-0-43746300-1526162613_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Will be adding to it over the next few evenings

Seeya later

Scott

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning All,

Despite having minimal modelling time, I've managed to nearly complete my D1682 LNWR 6 wheel CCT.

Only weathering and painting of the handrails remain, then she's good to go!

post-1937-0-22705700-1527585983_thumb.jpg

Gaz.

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have recently completed a D120 4-wheel brake and hope it's okay to post some shots of the construction in case they may be of interest. The sides/ends are the etched ones from Comet, buffers and torpedo vents Markits, couplings Smiths, while the wheels are Romfords altered a bit on my lathe to run on P4. The rest is mostly plasticard. and it seems to have turned out looking quite reasonable and runs okay. I am particularly grateful to Scott for starting this thread and giving me the impetus to undertake it based on seeing what he made completely from scratch. Great stuff.

post-12706-0-79616200-1528360631.jpg

post-12706-0-08441900-1528360646.jpg

I had to fit dividers to keep the sides from bowing inwards along with 0.9mm brass rod at the inside top. The way the ends fit into the sides with the fold-up floor end and locations for the solebars is very helpful.

post-12706-0-58975600-1528360697.jpg

post-12706-0-56019700-1528360709.jpg

Seemed strange making up the springs/axleboxes with the springs on the other side to the front of the boxes.

post-12706-0-97559500-1528360825.jpg

The roof needed inside strips to keep things as square as possible but I couldn't get the top very smooth, so I took some of the tissue paper the etches came wrapped in and flooded it onto it with Mek. Gives quite a good canvas type look. I had to add another bit to the underside of the roof so it could be held in place with a 8ba bolt from underneath as it wouldn't sit down properly without it.

post-12706-0-27029600-1528360836.jpg

The inside axle frames I made in plasticard rather than brass as in the past. For a small shunting type layout it runs quite okay. Too free running can sometimes be a drawback on less than totally level small layouts where the stock may be shunted about and not run in a fixed rake.

post-12706-0-70820100-1528360850.jpg

post-12706-0-06525200-1528360865.jpg

I had fun adding a few small squares as rivets. Oversize but is okay from a distance!

post-12706-0-45179100-1528360876.jpg

It all looks much better in primer.

post-12706-0-25713900-1528360890.jpg

And then painted.....Halfords cans for the primer/top coat on the body, with the underframe/ends brush painted in matt black. A few HMRS methfix decals.

post-12706-0-60549100-1528360902.jpg

post-12706-0-39191200-1528360913.jpg

post-12706-0-62734300-1528360924.jpg

regards,

Izzy

• Like 10

I have recently completed a D120 4-wheel brake and hope it's okay to post some shots of the construction in case they may be of interest. The sides/ends are the etched ones from Comet, buffers and torpedo vents Markits, couplings Smiths, while the wheels are Romfords altered a bit on my lathe to run on P4. The rest is mostly plasticard. and it seems to have turned out looking quite reasonable and runs okay. I am particularly grateful to Scott for starting this thread and giving me the impetus to undertake it based on seeing what he made completely from scratch. Great stuff.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 01.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 02.jpg

I had to fit dividers to keep the sides from bowing inwards along with 0.9mm brass rod at the inside top. The way the ends fit into the sides with the fold-up floor end and locations for the solebars is very helpful.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 03.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 04.jpg

Seemed strange making up the springs/axleboxes with the springs on the other side to the front of the boxes.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 05.jpg

The roof needed inside strips to keep things as square as possible but I couldn't get the top very smooth, so I took some of the tissue paper the etches came wrapped in and flooded it onto it with Mek. Gives quite a good canvas type look. I had to add another bit to the underside of the roof so it could be held in place with a 8ba bolt from underneath as it wouldn't sit down properly without it.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 06 jpg.jpg

The inside axle frames I made in plasticard rather than brass as in the past. For a small shunting type layout it runs quite okay. Too free running can sometimes be a drawback on less than totally level small layouts where the stock may be shunted about and not run in a fixed rake.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 07.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 08.jpg

I had fun adding a few small squares as rivets. Oversize but is okay from a distance!

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 09.jpg

It all looks much better in primer.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 10.jpg

And then painted.....Halfords cans for the primer/top coat on the body, with the underframe/ends brush painted in matt black. A few HMRS methfix decals.

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 11.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 12.jpg

attachicon.gifRMweb D120 13.jpg

regards,

Izzy

Very nice.

If you use mickle silver wire it is far stronger than brass, I use it a lot behind steps etc. Far better.

• 1 month later...

Been a bit quiet lately, life getting in the way and a change of personal circumstances. It seems when ever I get into my flow, the world chucks a spanner in my works. Well tonight made a bit of progress with my corridor full brake.

post-2873-0-10914000-1531172040_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-93039000-1531172167_thumb.jpg

Thats it for the mo.

Cheers for looking

Scott

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing how you do what you do, Scott. The results are very good.

This carriage is actually a luggage (or lavatory) composite - the corridor 3rd is the 50' vehicle in the lower drawing. Dan Pinnock used to do this and I think Bill Bedford still offers it. Mine is from Bill.

ge_compo_thurston.jpg

You can't have too many of these on a GE section layout, they get everywhere. There is a 6 wheel version of this body style as well.

The 50' stock came later and is very common in photos throughout the LNER and early BR period. This is the corridor side of the corridor 3rd.

ge_3_1.jpg

That lower panelling is very distinctive and it was the difficulty of consistently reproducing that which put me off trying to scratchbuild these. This one came from Worsley Works.

Hi Jonathan,

Out of curiosity - and not going to need for quite some time at my build rate - what do you use for bogies with Mousa/Worsley coaches as I don't believe they come with them? Although the Mousa ones are twice the price so may do?

Also taking advantage to bump this thread to see how Scott (gobbler) is getting on :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

Out of curiosity - and not going to need for quite some time at my build rate - what do you use for bogies with Mousa/Worsley coaches as I don't believe they come with them? Although the Mousa ones are twice the price so may do?

Also taking advantage to bump this thread to see how Scott (gobbler) is getting on :)

Ah, just found elsewhere you use the 247d HR Fox bogies - presumably the full length stepboard version?

Hi Richard,

Now I'd use MJT ones, with their Fox sides. I think I used the 247 Dev ones for the GE clerestory on Larry Goddard's recommendation and Coopercraft Fox ones for the 50' corridor stock.

While I'm on, for anyone who doesn't read my thread, the 6 wheeler rake is almost complete. Details to follow.

1938_train_complete.jpg.

• Like 5

I can't remember without looking at a drawing.

MJT do a Fox bogie and I'd use that for preference. 247 have also started producing almost all of their bogie kits again, so if the MJT (GN) pattern bogie isn't correct you can use the 247 ones as the cosmetic sides.

Mr. Coopercraft is supposed to have a new machine, but he'll have his work cut out recovering anyone's good will given his antics over the last few years.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bucoops,

I've only been managing to do dribs & drabs.

As you can see things haven't progressed as quickly as I'd liked.

post-2873-0-54183900-1542907759_thumb.jpg

post-2873-0-06428700-1542908374_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of putting this on the back burner and doing something a little smaller, if not a bit more complicated as below....

post-2873-0-42092300-1542907989_thumb.jpg

It looks possibly like an extended cattle van. It may be a six wheeler. Have no other pictures or diagrams for this, so if anyone can help, I'm all ears. At first glance I thought it was two Van's, but I'm convinced it's only one.

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

The picture comes from "The Great Eastern since 1900 by Charles Phillips" page 64

Just been flicking through my historic carriage drawings vol 3, by Peter Tatlow, could it be a GWR interloper?

Perhaps a 6 ton special cattle van beetle b and c, dia W7.

What do you think?

Cheers

Scott

Edited by gobbler