Rails of Sheffield/Dapol/NRM Announce OO gauge Stroudley A1/A1X

MGR Hooper!

Just now, Edwardian said:

I don't know which Terrier the cab belongs, but I know which Terror owns the photograph. 

You must like living dangerously. 

Sorry - could you elucidate?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I think my earlier comment about the top of the windows being too high up on the cab front is wrong. My change of mind came from looking at pictures of prototypes online, and has been confirmed by the images above. The size and distance apart still seems off though, and that's confirmed by the images above.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I make no comment, other than to say I don't know which Terrier it belongs to, as it's not my photo - discuss !

511382273_terriespectacleplate.jpg.3934c91258e8835ac9c89e451e196b52.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Jolly kind of them to take the roof off their Terrier so that this issue could be settled.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldnt let Spares be the deciding factor in any purchase.

in the short term usually some dead ones end up in a few retailers from both manufacturers, trade shows often show up broken seconds and if all else ebay eventually delivers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Jolly kind of them to take the roof off their Terrier so that this issue could be settled.

Solves the problems too as no windows on the Gentleman’s Sporting Model Terrier ;) 

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, Silly Moo said:

There has been some discussion on Facebook about the two new Terriers with one person posing an interesting question, which loco would be better in terms of guarantee and long term spares availability? 

I expect that Hornby will be building theirs for years whereas the Rails/Dapol version might be a limited run. 

I couldn’t see anything on the Rails website about a guarantee. I’m not unduly worried about it myself as I have found that most of my N gauge Dapol locos have been very good if looked after properly. 

I have 9 of the old Dapol/Hornby terriers, the oldest is over 20 years old. And I have a range of spare motors, in fact quite a few spares for my 80s/90s Hornby stuff for well over a decade. I rarely use any.

I'm fairly confident you won't need to worry about that. In the worst case, there will doubtless be damaged cheap seconds appearing on a certain auction site as the years drag by. If you do need spares, I'm Peterspares and DCC supplies will have them.

The only recent models i have crying out for spares are the Well tanks but everthing else are still performing pretty good.

I don't suppose there is a rear view?

As an A1 cab, it should undoubtedly have the rivetted vertical central butt plate.  I am not sure this was a feature of the 7mm model (and Hornby's Rovendon doesn't have it)  and I would be interested to see if it has been included on the 4mm model.  

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 1

@Edwardian I'm hoping you can help, I apologise if this is outside of your usual time period questioning.

I'm looking at ordering a terrier, and would like to renumber it to one of the following: 2635, 2636, 2647 or 2650 in late 1947's condition

I'm assuming my options are either of the BR locos, or the southern one, you seem to be immensely clued up, do you have any advice as to which one to go for (i'm not adverse to some modification).

Cheers!

• Administrators

At Ally Pally, I managed to borrow a Rails Terrier and pose it beside the Hornby version. Please note, the Rails model is a pre-production prototype and John tells me they have spotted some areas for improvement and these will be rectified before production. 

Front: Rails model. Rear: Hornby Model

Rails Front Hornby Back 2_rmweb.jpg

Rails Front Hornby Back 1_RMweb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

20 minutes ago, Jack P said:

@Edwardian I'm hoping you can help, I apologise if this is outside of your usual time period questioning.

I'm looking at ordering a terrier, and would like to renumber it to one of the following: 2635, 2636, 2647 or 2650 in late 1947's condition

I'm assuming my options are either of the BR locos, or the southern one, you seem to be immensely clued up, do you have any advice as to which one to go for (i'm not adverse to some modification).

Cheers!

It seems that there are no perfect matches, so far, given the combinations of features found on your selected prototypes!

Late condition/IOW Terriers are a bit out of my comfort zone, but here goes ... 

2635 - As No.635, to A1X in 1922, re-numbered as 377S August 1946 and to 32635 January 1959. Withdrawn 1963.

She became the Brighton works shunter from August 1946, so liveried black with "LOCO WORKS BRIGHTON" on the tanks, but, June 1947 saw her in IEG with number 377S on the bunker and "BRIGHTON WORKS" on the tanks.  

Rails/Dapol's 32661 should be a very good match, as the correct rivets combination is on the smoke-box, but note that Dapol has not tooled for the flush face. 

377S had retained her Westinghouse, but I don't think either of Dapol's 32661 or 32655 did. 

2636 - As Newhaven Harbour Fenchurch, to A1X 1913. re-numbered as 636 February 1927, 2636 December 1935, BR No.32636, withdrawn 1963

She has non-standard features, but the best overall match is probably Dapol's 2644.  The flush smoke-box (without snaphead rivets) is in common with 2644. 

The tank front lubricators should be moved to be at right angles under the boiler. 

Westinghouse pump had been restored and steam exhaust domes retained, 2644 carried both.

However, 2644 retained condensing pipes, but Fenchurch did not.

Fenchurch was fitted with rear window grills, like 2644, but, probably uniquely, not coal rails, but these should be removable from 2644. 

Livery: SR Goods Black

2647 - As No.647, to A1X in 1912. Withdrawn 1951.

This has a couple of distinctive features.  Most obviously by 1947 she would have worn a Drummond pattern chimney.  No Dapol announced model, so far, has one. 

She also seem to have had smoke-box rivets to the rear of the wrapper only in this condition, and none to the front.  The best option here is to use Rails/Dapol's SR 2644, as this should have flush wrapper and front, and you can add rear rivets.

She had also lost her steam exhaust domes, so these would need to be removed if the donor model featured these. 

She would be in SR Goods Black livery at your period. 

Query whether she retained the Westinghouse pump.

2650 - As No.650, to A1X in 1920, re-numbered W9 Fishbourne, then 515S in 1937, and 32650 under BR. Withdrawn 1963. 

This will not be a match, because W9 had an extended bunker.  Rails publicity states that they have tooled for IOW variants, so I would expect to see a suitable loco enter the range at some point.

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

At Ally Pally, I managed to borrow a Rails Terrier and pose it beside the Hornby version. Please note, the Rails model is a pre-production prototype and John tells me they have spotted some areas for improvement and these will be rectified before production. 

Front: Rails model. Rear: Hornby Model

Rails Front Hornby Back 2_rmweb.jpg

Rails Front Hornby Back 1_RMweb.jpg

It is good to say on the Rails/Dapol model that both Bodiam and Boxhill correctly reproduce the rivetted butt strap down the centre of the cab rear sheet. A universal feature, as per the real Boxhill

72844794_DSCN8612-Copy.JPG.03f28181a595f095bef625bde7b63809.JPG

I am particularly gratified to see this detail present, as I don't think Dapol had included it on its 7mm model.  If they get the window spacing sorted, Dapaol are onto a winner here. 

This is correct for the 2 K&ESR, as is the lack of window grills. Hornby's Rolvenden has what is in effect a late condition replacement flush cab rear sheet, which is incorrect. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Well done, Phil. The differences are there, and the modeller can make his mind up. 

I will have both of these models either way. Bodiam and Rolvenden don't look out of place with each other though I can see the errors on both, I doubt most of joe public would be even aware that they are from different manufacturers and most would think the detail differences are down to the real world locos (some are, most are not).

• Agree 1

I didn't expect to be saying this, but I think I prefer the Hornby version even with the ghastly stick on buffers.

In reality you need the chassis, water tank lip, buffers and guard rails of the Rails version with the chimney and cab of the Hornby model, the general shape of both is fine.

• Agree 1