MRJ 263

Wibble

Really this persistent delayed posting of sub. copies is my main gripe about MRJ, though failure to meet publication dates comes second; it must be galling to pay for an ad for a show and then find that the mag. only gets into the hands of the punters either just before it opens or - worse - after everything's been cleared away until next year.

And I too have noticed that they tend to turn up on schedule when it's renewal time, though that may be a simple coincidence. But I agree that a world without MRJ would have a significant hole in it, so I keep subscribing and keep enjoying it. And this one does look interesting.

• RMweb Gold

FYI - subs copy arrived this morning.

And for the record: Mrs. Trellis - I salute you. Your Tiny Ruston* is exquisite modelling and is truly a thing of beauty. It’s not my gauge or my time period, but it’s absolutely the sort of thing for which I get MRJ.

* for any ISIHAC fans - this is not a euphemism...

• RMweb Gold

And I too have noticed that they tend to turn up on schedule when it's renewal time, though that may be a simple coincidence.

Through the door this morning several days after copies have been found in Ealing, my renewal notice within so not really how it is.

For all those that can't wait just a few days.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/133622-instant-gratification-where-can-i-buy-it/?hl=gratification

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

TBH, I can't see why some people gets their knickers in a twist over the arrival or otherwise of the magazine, (yes, I know some of the banter is lighthearted0, other than the aforementioned exhibition adverts, (and they are ones which everybody who is of the MRJ mindset will already be aware of), it's not like there is any date sensitive material in it. For a magazine of such stature and without any direct competition I'm just happy it exists.

Mike.

Awaiting 263 sometime next week if Correos get el dedo out.

....failure to meet publication dates comes second; it must be galling to pay for an ad for a show and then find that the mag. only gets into the hands of the punters either just before it opens or - worse - after everything's been cleared away until next year.....

It's also a trademark of MRJ - it wouldn't be MRJ without having missed at least one show that it carries a Diary entry or advert for. That's almost a sine qua non, like Mrs Trellis, or even E.J. Thribb (aged 17.5) in Private Eye. Everyone expects it to be there.

.... it's not like there is any date sensitive material in it....

Or indeed data-sensitive material. Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

In Smiths in Newtown on Friday.

Llangunllo rings all the bells for me, other than being rather minimal for operating interest. I was most surprised that the backscene is a commercial offering as for me it shouts out the Mid Wales Marches. The whole layout is exquisite. I can even forgive it being ex-GWR!

And it was very interesting to read the history of London Road. I spent a long time watching it at a recent exhibition, and was captivated.

The other articles are interesting too, even if not wholly relevant to my modelling interests. As stated above, the Ruston is lovely.

Perhaps too much GWR bias but I can cope with that (says he who is modelling a GWR ex-Cambrian branch!)

Jonathan

A great issue in many ways. For me Llangunllo is a work of art. I can't think it'd be much fun to operate, but then the builder does say he's not really into operation. Visually, I don't know how you could beat it.

Nice to see London Road in its new version. Looks awesome.

Well, it turned up shortly after my slightly-tongue-in-cheek moan, and it is indeed well up to expectations. Simply brilliant, and it would be invidious to pick any one article as being more inspiring than the others.

Full marks for this one!

Llangunllo rings all the bells for me, other than being rather minimal for operating interest. I was most surprised that the backscene is a commercial offering as for me it shouts out the Mid Wales Marches. The whole layout is exquisite. I can even forgive it being ex-GWR!

A great issue in many ways. For me Llangunllo is a work of art. I can't think it'd be much fun to operate, but then the builder does say he's not really into operation. Visually, I don't know how you could beat it.

Nice to see London Road in its new version. Looks awesome.

Thank you both for your very generous and kind comments, Llangunllo is nothing more than a large diorama really. Despite its limited operation I take great pleasure watching trains pass through my personal slice of Mid Wales. Unfortunately the article, and a couple of captions suffer from some editing, for instance my description of using Wills quoins and spraying foamboard models should read as follows.

"All the walls were scribed before assembly and as much detail was added as possible. Both roofs are made from styrene sheet, as are the plinths and window sills. Once I had cut the window, and door openings out I added the lintels, and window sills from styrene sheet. Wills quoins, much reduced in width, and thickness to suit the size, and style of the building being used for the decorative stonework, and the corners of the building once it had been assembled. To provide a key for painting, and to blend everything together I spray all my foamboard structures with Halfords white acrylic primer.

As for fitting window seals, I don't in 4mm scale but I did fit the window sills :-) Then there is the caption that refers to 'Filflor, which should read...

Like most country stations, the one at Llangunllo is some distance from the village that it serves. This was also true of the real station which still stands on the former LNWR Central Wales line. The village church can just be picked out in the background above the platform trolley, and as you can see its a fair walk. The back scene was selected from the 'id' range which are produced by Art printers, most of the foreground being cut away to lower the horizon thus giving a feeling of distance. Knighton, and the sweep of the Central Wales line is supposedly somewhere in the distance behind the station building. Once again I turned to Silflor winter pasture mat, and static fibres to create the sun bleached appearance of late summer, early autumn grass. A little Heki, and Noch meadow grass being added to the mix"

and another which should read..   

"The goods shed was inspired by a similar structure which once stood at Llansilin Road on the Tanat Valley Light Railway, and is a mix of Wills, and Slaters corrugated styrene sheets. With its end doors and rustic appearance I thought it would be an ideal choice for the small yard at Llangunllo. The ruins to the left of the shed are deemed to be those of an old tramway weighbridge, which once served a local quarry. The track was constructed from ply sleepers, and C & L two bolt GWR chairs, all three signals, which are fully working started life as Ratio mouldings, to which etched ladders, arms and other detail from MSE has been fitted". 

Geoff

• Like 3

Turned up today in the Fens, along with the April edition of the EM gauge society magazine. Should be reading them now but Montalbano is on, so later.

Montalbano was almost as slow as MRJ is to arrive.....

Been in Tywyn for the weekend and thought I’d have to wait til this week to pick up a copy. However, as I was passing the newsagents on Tywyn High St yesterday I called in to find they now have a good range of railway mags including the new MRJ. Always happy when my money goes to an independent newsagent rather than WH Sugar.

Great to see Llangunllo appear, the allotments are an inspiration and the photos of the near deserted goods yard on p154 could easily be photos of the Tanat Valley in the sixties.

Another highlight for me is more information on Lowleigh. A very simple idea, but well executed. Sharp corners and oo track aren’t usually found in MRJ, but well worthy of their place imho.

Then of course there’s the 12 wheel WCJS dining saloon to drool over....

Another cracking edition.

Andrew

• Like 2