Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Instant gratification, Where can I buy it?

• RMweb Gold

I am noting a worrying trend on RMWeb of people not giving anyone any time or leeway with regards to questions, orders or such like. whilst I realise it is a carry over from real life where this sort of thing seems to have been allowed to become the norm, I'm just a little bit worried that I am being left behind the times again. So. can I ask all of you out there with this problem where you buy yours from, then when I've got a good dose of my own your attitude won't seem so alien to me.

Mike.

• Like 3

It can be found on the shelf just above 'I'm incapable of sorting something out for myself on my own' and to the right of 'I need to tell the world I'm not happy'. I'm a traditionalist and regularly buy some 'not particularly impressed with something but I get it sorted'; sometimes the old products are the best.

• Like 13

I have the patience of one of those Saints no-one's ever heard of. "No rush" being a favourite phrase. If I do feel the need for a spot of instant gratification, I never turn to model railways. I just turn the TV on to Channel 4 and watch an episode of A Place In The Sun hosted by Danni Menzies. Works for me...

post-17811-0-72412600-1524820031.jpg

I just thought I'd get in before someone embeds a video of Queen's "I want it all"...

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 6

Working in retail I get it all the time.

"where's XYZ?"

"Why haven't you got ABC in green?"

"Could you get FGH in my size please?"

"I want JKL, you must have it. If not, why not?"

"Can you order DEF for me?"

Erm. We're a charity shop. There is a giant retail park next door......

:scratchhead: 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Premium

You can’t get instant gratification . However we live in a fast moving society , things generally do happen quicker . Order something from Amazon and chances are it will arrive next day ( just ordered a book on Swiss Traction and amazingly arrived by 12next day) . Even something like a bowel screening test, sent off Monday , results back today, I’m happy to say all ok, but that’s seriously impressive from the NHS. Passport renewal sent off , new one received inside a week. Transfer money to someone , it’s there in minutes as opposed to waiting for a cheque to clear . On the receiving side workwise I note requests for costings that need to happen straight away and there seems more urgency than there was before . Sorry but that’s the way society and business is going and it’s no wonder it carries across to our hobby.

You can then understand frustration at some things announced several years ago , maybe even 7, that have yet to appear or even cases when something is announced but they can’t give you a price . These are in direct contrast to the events listed above . I placed order for my Caley 812 I’ve long wanted (and it probably will still be long) but no idea when it will arrive. 18 months was quoted but I think we can take that with a pinch of salt. Don’t even know the final price, probably around £160 . As I said contrast with the rest of the world is stark. Our expectations have changed.

I always get my Instant Gratification from the DIY department. It's usually on the shelf above the boxes of You Could Have Googled That Yourself.

My thoughts exactly to the "where can I buy <whatever> as cheap as possible" threads.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can’t get instant gratification . However we live in a fast moving society , things generally do happen quicker . Order something from Amazon and chances are it will arrive next day ( just ordered a book on Swiss Traction and amazingly arrived by 12next day) . Even something like a bowel screening test, sent off Monday , results back today, I’m happy to say all ok, but that’s seriously impressive from the NHS. Passport renewal sent off , new one received inside a week. Transfer money to someone , it’s there in minutes as opposed to waiting for a cheque to clear . On the receiving side workwise I note requests for costings that need to happen straight away and there seems more urgency than there was before . Sorry but that’s the way society and business is going and it’s no wonder it carries across to our hobby.

You can then understand frustration at some things announced several years ago , maybe even 7, that have yet to appear or even cases when something is announced but they can’t give you a price . These are in direct contrast to the events listed above . I placed order for my Caley 812 I’ve long wanted (and it probably will still be long) but no idea when it will arrive. 18 months was quoted but I think we can take that with a pinch of salt. Don’t even know the final price, probably around £160 . As I said contrast with the rest of the world is stark. Our expectations have changed.

You obviously have a completely different set of hopes and aspirations to me.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

I wanted a model of 'Shannon' (Wantage Tramway No 5) when I was 10 years old, it's taken 46 years and I designed and built it myself in the end.  . I think I might have a bit more patience. 

• Like 8

I wanted a model of 'Shannon' (Wantage Tramway No 5) when I was 10 years old, it's taken 46 years and I designed and built it myself in the end.  . I think I might have a bit more patience. 

46 years and you still don't know what colour you want it in!

• RMweb Premium

Yes very probably. What I meant by giving these examples was that life is generally faster paced and that leads to impatience. As people want more from you, so you want more from others.