Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Premium
On 11/07/2021 at 20:38, Alister_G said:

The first bit of video taken on location.

That is one little tenacious engine!

If I told my wife I had loaded the layout in the back of the car and was off to place it in a paddock so I could take some photos, she would change the locks on the house while I was gone.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bogie said:

That is one little tenacious engine!

If I told my wife I had loaded the layout in the back of the car and was off to place it in a paddock so I could take some photos, she would change the locks on the house while I was gone.

To be fair, if you managed to get your layout into the back of a car, I would think you need locking out, or up...

Al.

• Funny 3

The photo of the shed with the red tractor has the making of a great micro. Cut off the right had side at the left hand end of the cattle trailer and you have a perfect layout view to a two track shed on an embankment, while the shed by the tractor can be de-roofed and become coal drops. Tree view-blocker on the left, yard office by the trailer. Inglenook in the making. Just a thought...

aac 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

To be fair, if you managed to get your layout into the back of a car, I would think you need locking out, or up...

Al.

Well there is that but . . . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This evening I added the rest of the roof timbers:

ladmanlow1721.jpg.9c2574a7d46392095b9cbfe1b30af25a.jpg

ladmanlow1722.jpg.ab1cd7c171b5ae3ff455f9a41862b7f9.jpg

My plan was to next give it an all-over coat of Matt White from an aerosol, as a primer and base coat. However, I find that my can of Matt White won't spray, even with a different nozzle, so I'm going to have to wait now for some new paint to be delivered.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

My plan was to next give it an all-over coat of Matt White from an aerosol, as a primer and base coat. However, I find that my can of Matt White won't spray, even with a different nozzle, so I'm going to have to wait now for some new paint to be delivered.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Hi Al, I've found that most most blocked paint spray nozzles can be unblocked with acetone. So, by hook or by crook, borrow SWMBO's nail varnish remover, you may have your own, I'm not to judge, remove and invert the nozzle and put a few drops of acetone down it. Also put a few drops down the tube in the top of the can. I use a 000 paint brush. It may take a couple of treatments. The paint may splutter for a couple of seconds when all is put back together by most of the time it works, even on etch primer cans.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Al, I've found that most most blocked paint spray nozzles can be unblocked with acetone. So, by hook or by crook, borrow SWMBO's nail varnish remover, you may have your own, I'm not to judge, remove and invert the nozzle and put a few drops of acetone down it. Also put a few drops down the tube in the top of the can. I use a 000 paint brush. It may take a couple of treatments. The paint may splutter for a couple of seconds when all is put back together by most of the time it works, even on etch primer cans.

Thanks Jonathan, I'll give that a try.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
On 14/07/2021 at 17:06, Rowsley17D said:

Let us know how you get on.

Sorry Jonathan, I forgot. It worked, thank you, I put some down the neck of the can and that freed up whatever the blockage was.

The first couple of sprays reacted a bit (I guess it still had acetone in it) but after that it was fine.

Thanks again,

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I committed the unpardonable sin of modelling without the aid of a camera, yesterday, and therefore I don't have any step-by-step photos of the painting process. In my defence, the paint was drying so quickly in the heat that if I'd stopped to take photos it would have messed up.

So anyway, here's where we are with the cart shed.

The whole thing was given a coat of matt white (Humbrol 34) from a spray can, then when dry that was all masked off, and the timber frame was painted by hand in matt tan (Humbrol 237). It was then dry-brushed with dark earth (Humbrol 29) and dark sea grey (Humbrol 123) and then a wash of black green (Humbrol 91).

Then the walls had individual stones picked out in light grey (Humbrol 64) and engineers grey (Humbrol RC413). Then a dilute wash of a 50/50 mix of matt white and light grey was applied over the top.

Here's what it looks like now:

ladmanlow1723.jpg.422734bc3ad1b8f919fb297e183aad63.jpg

ladmanlow1724.jpg.6495559b5b0fa7a9bb5b803c5a2215f5.jpg

ladmanlow1725.jpg.709e25b580387be6e9f9b43e20d7ecdd.jpg

And here it is with some occupants:

ladmanlow1726.jpg.677934ad6f68aff7061f62062aa508bb.jpg

ladmanlow1727.jpg.2524c1d784edf7a5dc470f46e76905c4.jpg

This evening will be all about the corrugation.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replaced images
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 2

Nice job indeed, I am experimenting with different colours for the insides of open wagons at the moment, trying to clear the bench. I'm using a mix of Humbrol 33, 64 and 110. I'm not 100% convinced that it works yet. 

I feel a test piece coming on with 237 replacing 110.

I do like that rusty old Bedford QL,, it reminds me of a number of vehicles that I have found, but was twenty years too late to be able to save them.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

For external woodwork, I very much recommend the Black Green 91, used as a wash over browns and tans, as it captures the very slightly green mildew effect that you get on old wood. Not so useful for trucks though.

I think the 237 has been discontinued now, much to my dismay, I haven't found anybody recently who stocks it. I've been looking at Tamiya equivalents instead when my stash runs out.

Al.

• Informative/Useful 3