Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Premium

Is it not possible to take an angle grinder to the chassis in a vice. When I had mine apart I looked into that just to open up the cab! Be sure to mark the top of the motor. It'll run the opposite way if the motor goes in upside down. (found that out the hard way). When my kid was little he used to call it Mavis???

Regards Shaun

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

:scared:Alright then a hacksaw!

Forgot you need a license or something to operate one of those over there. :rtfm: 

Seriously, those old Lima Crabs never worked unless the chassis was ground down a bit. Worked well!

In days of old, when men were bold before RMweb was invented.

To cure our woes, we took grinders to crab 2-6-0s and they ran better than intended!:O

Regards Shaun.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of detailing this evening (well yesterday now, look at the time :O  ).

An interesting feature of the Cromford and High Peak locos was that they were fitted with home-made doors by the crews, to try and keep out the raw wind and rain that whistled across the more exposed parts of the railway. These doors were crudely fashioned out of bits of timber from discarded pallets and so on, and also included old hessian sacking.

Here's a photo taken by John Evans of 68012 fitted with just such a door:

10417878076_ecde4c5981.jpg

Copyright © John Evans Used with permission

And here's my attempt:

ladmanlow618.jpg.43eb0b05f7407c444bebc67aa2493004.jpg

I didn't use pallets, instead I took a small piece of Slaters' 2mm planking, and some 20thou x 40thou microstrip for the frame. The hessian is one ply of cheapo toilet paper, soaked with MEK and then painted.

I've only done it to one loco so far, but it definitely screams C&HPR in any view of the layout.

ladmanlow619.jpg.04cf5909dd5a26f5dc01d42eb0f7c39d.jpg

The other thing that is seen in photos and videos of the C&HPR, although probably a common practice whatever the railway, was a shunter hitching a ride on the cab steps.

I bought a modelu figure specifically for this and last evening I painted him up, and hung him off the side of 68006:

ladmanlow622.jpg.9cd2f36f0090662293feddfd94765fe7.jpg

Sadly, some clumsy clot broke his shunting pole for him, so I'll have to fix that.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Those crude cab doors really capture the feel and look of the C&HPR, Al. It must have been one of those rare fine days in the Peak when you took those photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alister_G said:

And the same but 50 years older :)

ladmanlow624.jpg.6d9e18f5e9241e695055e3b85f9747cd.jpg

Al.

Hmmm, pretty sure you slipped a real photo in just to see if we are paying attention Al? Great set of photos but this one in particular really grabbed me as being real! A winning candidate for the "how realistic are your models?" thread I feel. :rolleyes:

Martyn.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hmmm, pretty sure you slipped a real photo in just to see if we are paying attention Al? Great set of photos but this one in particular really grabbed me as being real! A winning candidate for the "how realistic are your models?" thread I feel. :rolleyes:

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn.

I have actually put that one up on the "How realistic" thread already. The only thing that lets it down for me is that the shunter's clothing is a bit shiny looking - despite it being matt acrylic paint, so I might have to give him a blast of matt varnish spray.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Great modelling Al!  I keep looking into see how your getting on, but those latest pictures are superb!  Great stuff.

Rich

Thanks Rich, very kind of you.

Al.

• Like 1

Great modeling  , superb scenery gives feel of upper Peak District. 

However one thing has me a bit puzzled  perhaps you can clarify it. 68006 from what I have seen in a couple of pics had the coal space enlarged between the rear cab windows resulting in the  rear cab windows being little more than what I call arrow slits, but on the CPHR they showed the same arrow lit windows with the reduced height coal load in another picture, yet your 68006 has the normal round spectacle windows.

Which is right or are both!

Great modeling all the same.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Thank you very much. A number of the Austerities were fitted with the taller coal bunker when in service with BR, but when the C&HPR were first trialling them as a possible replacement for the aged loco fleet, they discovered that the tall bunkers interefered with the manual loading process that the C&HPR used, not having access to mechanical coalers.

So when the J94s entered service with the C&HPR, the tall bunker extensions were removed, but obviously the modified rectangular cab windows were retained.

My DJM model of 68012 reflects this.

My 68068 and 68006 are both Dapol models, of a different version of the J94, and therefore have the familier porthole windows so are not in fact accurate models of the locos as they were in reality whilst with the C&HPR.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up Al,

So when Hornby produced there version of 68006 (R3023) with the tall bunker they got it right. I have the model and removed the tall bunker fitting a new coal load at the lower level so it is in the condition as used on the CHPR. Thanks for clearing that up.

Enjoying your modelling.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John.

In the interests of accuracy I might get one of the Hornby models and chop off the tall bunker as you have, and retire the Dapol version, at least then the windows will look right.

Al.