Hornby - New tooling - Mark 2F coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:56, MGR Hooper! said:

The latest blog is up....

Featuring the Mk2F coaches

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/large-prairie-mk2f-big-boy

It looks to me that Hornby still hasn’t got the Blue/Grey livery right - the grey band is either too low round the windows or the blue is too deep above them. Either that or the windows are too deep. The same mistake as with the Mk2e?

EDIT: Being corrected; see update in post below

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

It looks to me that Hornby still hasn’t got the Blue/Grey livery right - the grey band is either too low round the windows or the blue is too deep above them. Either that or the windows are too deep. The same mistake as with the Mk2e?

I don’t think they look too bad. The light shining on the gutter rail in the Blog images makes the blue band look deeper than it really is. Comparing with door handles and vents, the light grey looks right. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

15 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I don’t think they look too bad. The light shining on the gutter rail in the Blog images makes the blue band look deeper than it really is. Comparing with door handles and vents, the light grey looks right. 

Roy

I raised this issue by PM and have been advised that the Engine Shed photo gives the impression of the grey area being incorrect due to a fault in the manufacturing process (the body is warped). This has been noted as part of the ongoing manufacturing check process, and will be corrected.

Good to see time being taken to get the model right.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Hornby BSO and Bachmann TSO.  The most obvious difference is in the colours.  The Hornby light grey has a more yellow/ brown tinge to it.  The red and white bands on the Hornby version are narrower and they are broken where they go over door handles.  As far as the body mouldings go, it is difficult to say which is best, some of the moulding on the Hornby version is sharper than Bachmann's, but on other details Bachmann are better.  The Bachmann bogies are better mouldings, with better detail than Hornby.  If I was to guess, I would say that the Hornby bogies are from an older moulding, they just don't look as good as the body.

Overall, I would say that the Hornby version would win on value for money but the Bachmann version is better because of the bogies and the livery finish.

This is not an objective review, just my observations from looking at two different versions side by side. 

Whilst I probably won't buy any more of the intercity versions, I will probably buy the Scotrail ones.

Regards 

Roddy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I hope that the DRS versions are done in the next batch by Hornby or Bachmann but time will tell.  Given the large following of the Class 37’s and Mk 2F’s used Cumbrian Coast services and the GA short sets, bit of a no brainier for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

I wonder if anyone could help me please? 

Just seen on a new Hattons article on their website the six BR Blue & Grey MK2Fs. Can anyone tell me if this is the same colour as the rake that usually resides at Burton for use on railtours and that currently forms the Cardiff loco hauled sets, pulled by Colas 37s? I'm not bothered if the numbers that Hattons have chosen to model are not the same as the coaches used on the workings I have mentioned. I just want to know if the colours are the same and if I could use them to model prototypical modern workings. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

9 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Will these mix in ok with my Hornby ( ex Dapol ) 2Es on cross country stuff in the IV swallow era ? Seems silly to pursue more of the ancient tooling if these are ok to mix in 

Hornby did Mk.2E coaches themselves. Dapol didn't. Airfix/Dapol did the Mk.2D which Hornby then produced after they bought the tooling.

2 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

I would be interested to see a side by side comparison to the Hornby Mark 2e.....      

It's most likely to be identical sans the solebar. They've been made using existing design and research from the Mk.2E and the models are aimed at a segment lower than the high spec Bachmann on and yet above the usual Hornby RailRoad range.

Here's a picture of the Bachmann TSO and the Hornby BSO side by side.  The light grey on the Hornby model is slightly lighter and you can see the difference in the size of the red stripe.  The Bachmann model is in InterCity livery whilst the Hornby is Intercity Executive.  

The Hornby Mk2f does not suffer from the Mk2e solebar issues, at least my BSO does not.

Hope that this is helpful for others.

Regards

Roddy

Hornby_BSO1.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Here's a picture of the Bachmann TSO and the Hornby BSO side by side.  The light grey on the Hornby model is slightly lighter and you can see the difference in the size of the red stripe.  The Bachmann model is in InterCity livery whilst the Hornby is Intercity Executive.  

The Hornby Mk2f does not suffer from the Mk2e solebar issues, at least my BSO does not.

Hope that this is helpful for others.

Regards

Roddy

That is a very useful comparison shot, thanks for posting.

IIRC the shades of both Executive Light Grey and Executive Dark Grey on coaching stock didn't change when the lettering was changed to INTERCITY.

Shades are all different from the various model manufacturers, and of course they always will be, so I guess the only way to get some uniformity on the layout is to repaint them all (at least just the light grey sections) which I intend to sometime!

9 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hornby did Mk.2E coaches themselves. Dapol didn't. Airfix/Dapol did the Mk.2D which Hornby then produced after they bought the tooling.

Sorry, yes, I have 2D then. I have 4 so I could buy 3 higher spec Fs and we have a rake 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, westie7 said:

On the subject of depths thicknesses etc, found this on my wanderings thru Flickr... Useful?

On The Curve Near Pitlochry (Michael McNicholas)

Useful photo, thanks for posting.

Looking along the train to the first carriage, and It looks as if Hornby have got the Executive Light Grey a lot better than their previous efforts.

But (and there's always a "but" isn't there?!) their ELG band above the windows is too wide.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Change of word