Hornby - New tooling - LMS 20T brake van

Andy Y

Hornby have announced new tooling for the LMS 20T brake van.

LMS20T brake.JPG

R6907 LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730176 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6907A LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730473 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6909 BR, D2068 20T Brake Van, M731456 - Era 4 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6909A BR, D2068 20T Brake Van, M731792 - Era 4 Due Date: Sep-19    RRP: £22.99

Early 3D print samples were on display in Dec 2018.

LMS20T.jpg

Preview 2019 - Press - PDF-174.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic - a sound and pragmatic move, I'll take four without hesitation.  Done well, as I'm sure they will be, these should turn out to be a really popular, widespread and long-lived - almost taken-for-granted - addition to the range.

• Like 1

Hornby have announced new tooling for the LMS 20T brake van.

attachicon.gifLMS20T brake.JPG

R6907 LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730176 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6907A LMS, D1919 20T Brake Van, 730473 - Era 3 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6909 BR, D2068 20T Brake Van, M731456 - Era 4 Due Date: Oct-19    RRP: £22.99

R6909A BR, D2068 20T Brake Van, M731792 - Era 4 Due Date: Sep-19    RRP: £22.99

Early 3D print samples were on display in Dec 2018.

attachicon.gifLMS20T.jpg

attachicon.gifPreview 2019 - Press - PDF-174.jpg

Nice to see both ducket widths and two ballast box variants too.  

Nice to see both ducket widths and two ballast box variants too.

And the two types of brake gear on the drawings. Single shoe for the early ones and and double shoe for the later builds.

I just hope they now understand that UK models need to have 26mm long axles and W irons the proper distance apart. Getting P4 wheels into the HAA and Shark is somewhat challenging.

• RMweb Gold

I just hope they now understand that UK models need to have 26mm long axles and W irons the proper distance apart.

Where are the "eternal optimist", "you must be joking" and "don't hold your breath" icons when you need them?

(Other manufacturers are available who are just as clueless).

Mike.

• Like 1

Are these different to the Bachmann model? As an LMS modeller I don't profess much knowledge of brake vans, but would like something a bit different like a midland single varanda, or one of the other constituent companies.

Bachmann do not produce any model of this vehicle type.

• Agree 1

Are these different to the Bachmann model? As an LMS modeller I don't profess much knowledge of brake vans, but would like something a bit different like a midland single varanda, or one of the other constituent companies.

The Bachmann example is a separate diagram to what Hornby is doing. Bachmann's model is based upon the earlier Midland Railway D1568 and LMS D1659 examples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They're longer than the earlier design, I believe, and were built from the mid-1930s into BR days. There was an example based at Burry Port for use on the BP&GV line, which had narrow footboards, a short chimney, and lettered 'For Use on BP&GV Only'

• Agree 1

The Bachmann model portrays what was effectively the first 'standard' brake van built by the LMS from 1923 without duckets and from 1926 with duckets, although based on a Midland design; a very brutalised simplification, but its the easiest way to sum up that model.

This iteration as announced by Hornby is of the standard LMS brake van which originated in 1935, and is a very different vehicle. An LMS (or BR(M) for that matter) layout can happily utilise both models in multiple numbers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Bachmann model portrays what was effectively the first 'standard' brake van built by the LMS from 1923 without duckets and from 1926 with duckets, although based on a Midland design; a very brutalised simplification, but its the easiest way to sum up that model.

This iteration as announced by Hornby is of the standard LMS brake van which originated in 1935, and is a very different vehicle. An LMS (or BR(M) for that matter) layout can happily utilise both models in multiple numbers.

Great, thanks for clarifying, currently got 8 of the Bachmann ones with and without duckets and in both grey and bauxite. Looks like I'll be adding some Hornby ones then! My point still stands that the Midland single varanda one would be nice to see RTR as would some of the other constituent companies, but a very welcome addition.

• Agree 1

I will join the 'very welcome' chorus. This is the one item in Hornby's 2019 announcement I will be purchasing as soon as available (very thin year for Doncaster/ER interest) as these were ubiquitous on BR throughout steam operations.

Now, I really should get around to knocking one of my ex-Airfix pair into 'reverse Stanier' form. (Been on my to do list forever...) The other one can get properly beaten up as most LMR equipment was, and the Hornby can be a particularly sparkling specimen that was some lucky guard's pet until it got 'took away'.