Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I wish people would stop throwing the word "iconic" around like confetti. I wouldn't call a diesel shunter and two wagons "iconic."

The contents may not be, but the livery certainly is. Coca Cola would be the one brand I would say would be recognised worldwide by anyone of any nationality 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I like the way the oval of track allows the train to go around & around.

Pretty iconic, that....

Happy weekend, everyone!

Ian.

Bottles of Coca-Cola are always expensive in the shops. I wonder if Aldi & Lidl sell cheaper train sets? 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I like the way the oval of track allows the train to go around & around.

Pretty iconic, that....

Happy weekend, everyone!

Ian.

Bottles of Coca-Cola are always expensive in the shops. I wonder if Aldi & Lidl sell cheaper train sets? 

Lidl had a Hornby trainset on offer last Christmas, an iconic* 0-4-0 with some wagons, an oval of track and a controller.

They didn't seem to have any trouble getting rid of them!

* Or perhaps ironic?

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Lidl had a Hornby trainset on offer last Christmas, an iconic* 0-4-0 with some wagons, an oval of track and a controller.

They didn't seem to have any trouble getting rid of them!

* Or perhaps ironic?

Wasn't the RMS Ironic a White Star transatlantic liner fitted with ice breaker bows?

• Funny 3

On 22/03/2019 at 19:04, truffy said:

Ahhh, but they're careful not to stipulate collectors of what though! ;)

I have already been asked by one of my friends how best to get hold of one of these sets. She couldn't give a rat's @rse about model railways, but is an avid collector of Coke memorabilia! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fireline said:

I have already been asked by one of my friends how best to get hold of one of these sets. She couldn't give a rat's @rse about model railways, but is an avid collector of Coke memorabilia! 

and I'm sure that's what Hornby is hoping for - lots of sales to Coca Cola collectors - as no doubt also with the Harry Potter set to Harry Potter fans. Serious collectors will pay far more for their themes than we are prepared to pay for them as trains sets. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, truffy said:

There are Coca Cola collectors?

All of a sudden, I feel more normal.

You need to watch more TV then - progs like American Pickers where coke memorabilia goes for serious money.

1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

You need to watch more TV then - progs like American Pickers where coke memorabilia goes for serious money.

No, I don't think that I do. I currently watch zero TV, and on balance that seems just about right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ribird said:

So since there are a lot of replies in this thread, I’ll just ask. Does the Hogwarts Castle have brake rods, compared to the Railroad Olton Hall?

The new set isn’t out yet, so who knows...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well Rood Ashton Hall did when that was released as a main range version so hopefully yes it does. If not, find a set of brake rods for a Grange as they are almost a perfect Fit. That’s what’s on my R3169 Olton Hall that I tarted up and renamed with etched plates. 

9B5CF5E1-2F38-4C8B-B826-B548C83C8B4E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very interesting the Class 156 Provincial release. The body of the Lima offering is still quite good and captures the look very well. Clearly the interior and everything under the body is not ideal at all. Cannot help thinking they should have produced two running numbers as customers would potentially have bought more than a single variant. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cs233 said:

Very interesting the Class 156 Provincial release. The body of the Lima offering is still quite good and captures the look very well. Clearly the interior and everything under the body is not ideal at all. Cannot help thinking they should have produced two running numbers as customers would potentially have bought more than a single variant. 

It's meant for those on a budget, those who cannot afford the lovely Realtrack one, they won't mind the lesser detail.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2019 at 10:10, MGR Hooper! said:

It's meant for those on a budget, those who cannot afford the lovely Realtrack one, they won't mind the lesser detail.

They can buy 4 Lima ones on eBay for Hornby’s new price.

i don’t see the point in this one myself, £120 for a repeat of a well worn livery.

They may have more traction with it, if they had considered the class 66 approach and scatter gunned the 2019 liveries of 156.

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i don’t see the point in this one myself, £120 for a repeat of a well worn livery.

They may have more traction with it, if they had considered the class 66 approach and scatter gunned the 2019 liveries of 156.

I don't disagree with that....but there's a lot of people who won't buy second hand stuff, especially from eBay. And the reasons as to why people don't buy second hand are in plentiful

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I don't disagree with that....but there's a lot of people who won't buy second hand stuff, especially from eBay. And the reasons as to why people don't buy second hand are in plentiful

True enough, but my comment wasn’t targeting buyers of second hand, but potential revenue opportunities...

the class 156 is wearing a lot of liveries in 2019 that haven’t been tapped, by Hornby or Realtrack. Taking a punt on a modern “ive seen one of those this morning” colours is surely more optimistic than “its been done 20 times already and I’ve already got it” livery  considering you have to be at least of adult age to remember it, and have probably bought a Lima one already and are ready to trade up to a Realtrack one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

True enough, but my comment wasn’t targeting buyers of second hand, but potential revenue opportunities...

the class 156 is wearing a lot of liveries in 2019 that haven’t been tapped, by Hornby or Realtrack. Taking a punt on a modern “ive seen one of those this morning” colours is surely more optimistic than “its been done 20 times already and I’ve already got it” livery  considering you have to be at least of adult age to remember it, and have probably bought a Lima one already and are ready to trade up to a Realtrack one.

True, hopefully they see the opportunity and do it next year.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Well, it’s only a repeat if you’ve already got one, and it’ll run a lot better than a Lima, not to mention having NEM couplers.   There’s a reason Lima stuff is cheap on ‘Bay...

• Agree 2