Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

Scalextrix,

The only problem with it is the god awful wire braid pickups still being after how many years ?  They were junk 35 years ago when I bought my son a a very expensive set , the pick up braids lasted about a week, and they are still making them the same why? . Other than making god knows how much money out of bits of braid wire ? why havent they designed a better system ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I appreciate that you have access to Hornby's internal accounts when you make this statement and aren't just saying something based on your own prejudices - perhaps you could enlighten those making and selling it as they have developed several new sets, especially in the micro Scalextric range. You might also like to go along to one of the UK's popular slot car festivals where you'll find loads of people of all ages enjoying the hobby and tell them it's dead too.

That would be the set introduced in 1982? Just under 20 years before the current 08 was released? I can see your point if you mean the mixed freight set, where it is a bit old in the tooth. There were presumably cost reasons for doing this, again your greater access to the accounting system might be able to shed more light on this.

Johnster is perhaps referring to the old Lima class 08/9 which despite being basic at least has the correct outside frames .   I suppose  the view is that it’s a starter trainset so why bother too much. However as I still have locos from my childhood if it could be made more accurate without driving the cost up then why not .  Using the new Hornby 08 is clearly a non starter in a starter set. 

• RMweb Gold

Slot car racing is becoming a bit more trendy...

I spotted this in the Turkish Airlines executive lounge in the new Istanbul Airport last month....

3AB25A68-5D3C-4A73-AC83-08C32773D08A.jpeg.6743880dff688cf786c3aac3d75fe1af.jpeg1E810A7D-A556-4B91-8211-FFFC16048F75.jpeg.42f265476cabfe2de5d86e8137c51f7a.jpeg

(Not Hornby’s though).

it certainly doesn't strike me as me as a dead duck, seriously the opposite.

unlike railways, slot cars are cheaper, get bashed, trashed and disposable too... precisely what a company needs to keep revenue churn without loads capex expenditure on new toolings of a few thousand detailed models here and there.

My post man just wishes I collected slot cars instead of trains, given the number of boxes he brings... he’s all over it.

ive a lot more friends who find slot cars more cool than trains, and more affordable... me Ive repaired loads of slot cars for mates over the years, they might race em but they’ve no clue how to fix em... still they hold back the train jokes when they hand over another bag of broken bits from a table jumper.. I’ve even bodged a few ringers from some crashed up no hopers into custom cars.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

it certainly doesn't strike me as me as a dead duck, seriously the opposite.

unlike railways, slot cars are cheaper, get bashed, trashed and disposable too... precisely what a company needs to keep revenue churn without loads capex expenditure on new toolings of a few thousand detailed models here and there.

PLUS there's no rivet counters among slot car racers. They're only scale models at a certain level, and hi-fidelity they are not.

Relatively cheap, and relatively easy. What's not to like?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, truffy said:

PLUS there's no rivet counters among slot car racers. They're only scale models at a certain level, and hi-fidelity they are not.

Relatively cheap, and relatively easy. What's not to like?

And no retooling either..

when the car car becomes out of date.. it becomes a classic.

i do find an irony though, many like to buy pristine new, check every detail in its new box, then can’t wait to put it on the track, turn full Chav.. rag-it to death, spin it, roll it and  things like wing mirrors, bumpers and lights all get chipped and disappear.. they don’t quite worry any more..next !

imagine that mentality with a £150+ loco  !

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, truffy said:

Says who? I am very particular about fidelity on any 1/32 slot car I buy - and few of them ever see a track! Models of contemporary prototypes had better have all the right sponsorship decals in all the right places. 

There are some most ill-informed views about Scalextric being expressed here.  

• Agree 4

48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Says who? I am very particular about fidelity on any 1/32 slot car I buy - and few of them ever see a track! Models of contemporary prototypes had better have all the right sponsorship decals in all the right places. 

There are some most ill-informed views about Scalextric being expressed here.  

Sorry Ian, no offence intended. Any sweeping enough generalisation is bound to unearth exceptions. I was speaking from my own experience and that of many others that I have met and raced against.

Personally, if I want a high fidelity model of a car, I'll buy a kit rather than a 'toy' that's intended to be played with, quite roughly in comparison to railway stock. But obviously that's not everyone's bag.

34 minutes ago, truffy said:

Sorry Ian, no offence intended. Any sweeping enough generalisation is bound to unearth exceptions. I was speaking from my own experience and that of many others that I have met and raced against.

Personally, if I want a high fidelity model of a car, I'll buy a kit rather than a 'toy' that's intended to be played with, quite roughly in comparison to railway stock. But obviously that's not everyone's bag.

Have a look at the Fly range, some excellent car models, better quality then the Scalextrix models. None of mine, Gulf Porsche and Ford have ever been near a track, and never will !!

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I joined a model car racing club in 1965 - the track was hardboard and copper tape. There was a lot of pride in replicating liveries of a real prototype car. So, for example, the Jim Clark Lotus Cortina (a vehicle rather over-represented on OO scale layouts - they weren't common) would have a narrow yellow stripe in the middle of the green one, showing it was a works car. I have never lost that aim, and C21 RTR manufacturing helps me.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2019 at 19:45, Phil Parker said:

Hi Phil,

an interesting article to read. If only all business leaders took the same approach Lyndon has taken. I can certainly see a much more vibrant brand with him and Simon back. The catalogue this year was packed and as a result I think us all as modellers have probably bought more. I know I certainly have this year.

With being at shows behind layouts or demos this year and last with the GMRC on telly there are more children and families coming and interested so it’s good Hornby have product range to get people started and continue that interest. It’s good for all of us both now and for the future of the hobby.

I must admit it will be interesting to see what we will get offered next year from Hornby what with a 100th birthday to celebrate.

Cheers

Mark

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I joined a model car racing club in 1965 - the track was hardboard and copper tape. There was a lot of pride in replicating liveries of a real prototype car. So, for example, the Jim Clark Lotus Cortina (a vehicle rather over-represented on OO scale layouts - they weren't common) would have a narrow yellow stripe in the middle of the green one, showing it was a works car. I have never lost that aim, and C21 RTR manufacturing helps me.

I just used to build them to be fast.Lola.jpg.5623660334ee0358db47ace64dd3371d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My dad was in the Luton slot racing club and they did the same thing apparently. The photos look amazing. (Yes I know this is off-topic, but it is interesting how many people are also into slot cars. Perhaps we need some at future shows...)

Dad car.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A 250P! Probably Super Shells. They can still be found new occasionally on ebay. 

Edit! Now I've checked the link, this is the body that Monogram offered as a 275P.I have one unbuilt. There were 275Ps with this shell - but they basically had the 1963 250P shell with the uprated 3.3 litre engine. The full works 275Ps had a slightly different shell. 

Perhaps a slotcar thread in Wheeltappers is overdue. 

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

My dad was in the Luton slot racing club and they did the same thing apparently. The photos look amazing. (Yes I know this is off-topic, but it is interesting how many people are also into slot cars. Perhaps we need some at future shows...)

Dad car.jpg

I assume you mean at a model railway show..

Wouldn't that change the dynamic of a show  !

I think thats a great idea, and could lead to a bit of cross pollination and new blood... in both directions.

Sure there might be some resistance from extreme elements on both sides, but a show is a community event and this is a good way of opening it up a bit more.

The US successfully merged Guns and Dolls at the same shows afterall.

Edited by adb968008

I think you'll find that slot cars, like model railways have been increasing their accuracy in dimensions and realistic representation.

Fly Sky have been a very decent 'average good' slot car for quite a few years now, their cars being keenly collected - despite the 917 headlamps being incorrect, for example.

Scalextric have evolved with the times as well, and I would say can be compared well with the better ones.

Al.

On 22/12/2019 at 20:34, atom3624 said:

I think you'll find that slot cars, like model railways have been increasing their accuracy in dimensions and realistic representation.

Fly Sky have been a very decent 'average good' slot car for quite a few years now, their cars being keenly collected - despite the 917 headlamps being incorrect, for example.

Scalextric have evolved with the times as well, and I would say can be compared well with the better ones.

Al.

OK, already. But the 'play scenario' for slot cars and model railways is different. And the models/toys are built to that understanding.

Model locos tend not to fly off the track at high speed, while slot cars tend not to have too many (if any) individually fitted fine details. They may be nicely modelled, but they're still designed to be raced. Whether or not they end up as shelf queens.

For those still awaiting the blue Merchant (35024), I’ve just noticed the Hornby website has been updated to show Spring 2020. It said Summer until very recently, so perhaps they’re finally confident of a delivery timeframe and we might see it around May-ish time.

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, truffy said:

OK, already. But the 'play scenario' for slot cars and model railways is different. And the models/toys are built to that understanding.

Model locos tend not to fly off the track at high speed, while slot cars tend not to have too many (if any) individually fitted fine details. They may be nicely modelled, but they're still designed to be raced. Whether or not they end up as shelf queens.

Totally agreed.

I've had to dig out a SCX Digital set for my youngest, and despite setting the 'magnadhesion equivalent' close to the track he's managed to get the Peugeot 908 Le Mans GT1 prototype to fly off enough times to break the mirrors 3x!!

There is quite a lot of 'finer detail' on the relatively modern cars, but nowhere near what you'll find on modern model locomotives.

I always spend up to a minute figuring out just where to pick them up from before even touching them!!

Al.

• Funny 1

It's avaialble online but sadly you have to be a member to read the whole thing: www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/12/31/traditional-toys-meet-digital-devices-Hornby-staying-relevant/amp/

In the bit you can read for free mentions iPhones and apps so perhaps a digital interface like railmaster on a tablet or phone.