The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

Ferrari knew what they were doing when they hired LeClerc - he is their future not Vettel and going off yesterday's performance Vettel is still struggling when on the absolute edge whereas Hamilton still shows his driving skills when he isn't leading and needs to get a place.

In the past Ferrari have had one excellent champion and a clear deputy, they potentially still do but maybe they haven't out and out declared which way around it is.  I am sure Vettel was very happy with Kimi as his partner.

The question is, will Hamilton drive the red car one day - I would think he still aspires to it and that would be an interesting combination.

• Agree 1

After yesterday, I am more convinced than ever that as far as Ferrari is concerned - "The King is dead; long live the King". Good luck to LeClerc. Unlucky yesterday, but his day will come.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The question is, will Hamilton drive the red car one day - I would think he still aspires to it and that would be an interesting combination.

Not is LeClerc is there! ;)

• Agree 3

Leclerc looks like the complete package, potentially to be one half of a future dominant driver pairs competition in F1, the other likeliest current candidate Ricciardo in my estimation. Expect increasing wildness from Verstappen as the season progresses: outclassed as the new young hot shot in F1, that'll sting.

Lewis to Ferrari? I don't know anyone who has exchanged a Merc for a Fiat...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

46 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Leclerc looks like the complete package, potentially to be one half of a future dominant driver pairs competition in F1, the other likeliest current candidate Ricciardo in my estimation. Expect increasing wildness from Verstappen as the season progresses: outclassed as the new young hot shot in F1, that'll sting.

Lewis to Ferrari? I don't know anyone who has exchanged a Merc for a Fiat...

In the current crop Ricciardo is probably the exciting overtaker, lets see how he copes with a year at Renault though, he wasn't really there last year at Red Bull where there was clear favouritism that could exist again with a Ferrari seat unless they adopt a clear non preferential driver maxim.

Any top driver would like a stint at Ferrari, so Lewis could yet see himself seeing out his years in a red car there is no other team except for Mercedes that could deliver a winning car.  But it would all depend on dynamics, he rightly wouldn't accept second billing and if LeClerc is the next Schumacher/Hamilton/Vettel then it might be a difficult fit.

Verstappen may have a difficult year ahead if the Honda engine doesn't deliver and if all the drivers at Mercedes and Ferrari drive relatively well he wont see as many points this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Verstappen may have a difficult year ahead if the Honda engine doesn't deliver 

Signs are that it is/will. All Hondas finished in Bahrain, how many Renaults? No coincidence how happy Little Jack was at the post race chat ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

on a related matter, I am liking the new format that C4 have come up with, in particular the extended post race discussion and analysis. OK, it's probably a function of Sky's restrictive demands but they certainly seem to have made the best of it. You can keep pit lane walks for me :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I thought Billy acquitted himself well amongst such experienced commentators and I’m not surprised he lacks a bit of the bite as he’s still learning his trade and commentating on the top league! He’s hardly going to annoy Toto or Christian when he still has his eye on a seat in F1. 

He’s got the determination to get back this far so fast, who knows what he’s capable of ultimately ;) 

I think the shorts is just him saying it’s blummin hot so I’m wearing shorts! Wearing artificial legs he’s going to suffer more than the rest of us in heat as his legs are totally encased  ;) 

Shame for Charles but equally what a statement of intent and good of Hamilton to acknowledge that. 

We clearly have three drivers capable of getting the max out of their equipment in the top three cars so the reliability is making an interesting equaliser for Ferrari’s pace. This might actually make a really interesting season if three teams keep technically close as the season develops. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Any top driver would like a stint at Ferrari.

I fail to see why this is such a commonly held view.

History has proven that Ferrari usually finish the year in 2nd. They start each year with lots of promise & things consistently go wrong.

Only Kimi & Schumacher have won the title there since 1980 & Kimi's title was handed to him by controversy at McLaren.

So Ferrari has consistently been the wrong place to be for anyone who wants to be world champion.

They still allegedly seem to get 'special' payments which means they can pay their drivers more. This will probably mean less to Hamilton now than the prospect of another championship.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I thought Billy acquitted himself well amongst such experienced commentators and I’m not surprised he lacks a bit of the bite as he’s still learning his trade and commentating on the top league! He’s hardly going to annoy Toto or Christian when he still has his eye on a seat in F1. 

He’s got the determination to get back this far so fast, who knows what he’s capable of ultimately ;) 

I think the shorts is just him saying it’s blummin hot so I’m wearing shorts! Wearing artificial legs he’s going to suffer more than the rest of us in heat as his legs are totally encased  ;) 

Shame for Charles but equally what a statement of intent and good of Hamilton to acknowledge that. 

We clearly have three drivers capable of getting the max out of their equipment in the top three cars so the reliability is making an interesting equaliser for Ferrari’s pace. This might actually make a really interesting season if three teams keep technically close as the season develops. 

It may also be that putting on trousers when wearing his artificial limbs, or fitting those while wearing trousers, is a problem. Especially if wearing the sort of slim trews favoured by DC.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Only one driver has won the title in more than two different cars... going clear of the pack may be enough to convince Lewis to switch to Ferrari if he thinks they’re close enough to having a world beating car

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, amwells said:

Only one driver has won the title in more than two different cars... going clear of the pack may be enough to convince Lewis to switch to Ferrari if he thinks they’re close enough to having a world beating car

I don't think it would suit his lifestyle , at Merc they let him live his life on his terms ,

I think Ferrari would not find that acceptable and would try to control him much as

Mclaren did .

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Charles, You naughty Boy, but well done, a great move and good for you to show the Team that your there to win.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/26421674/charles-leclerc-ignored-ferrari-team-orders-bahrain

The second article about the miscombustion is interesting - they expect to have the engine back for free practice in China.

'Stay behind Vettel' 

'Take his power'??

He was leading and Vettel was not really going to be challenging anyone after his spin so it probably was a failure, but what if.......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

F1 teams are still in Bahrain, for the first in-season test of the year. Topping the number of laps this morning was Mr H. A. Milton, who managed 50, although he was by no means quickest. He, and everyone else, might have done rather more if rain hadn’t stopped play, followed by a real downpour. Rain in Bahrain? Ok.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The second article about the miscombustion is interesting - they expect to have the engine back for free practice in China.

'Stay behind Vettel' 

'Take his power'??

He was leading and Vettel was not really going to be challenging anyone after his spin so it probably was a failure, but what if.......

Ah the old "spark plug" excuse again LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Seemed it was a weekend of heartbreak for drivers who were destined to win their respective races. Leclerc in F1 and Elfyn Evans in the WRC, the latter with a last stage puncture that plummeted him from 1st to 3rd. 

Is it sad that I started laughing when Seb had his spin?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Seemed it was a weekend of heartbreak for drivers who were destined to win their respective races. Leclerc in F1 and Elfyn Evans in the WRC, the latter with a last stage puncture that plummeted him from 1st to 3rd. 

Is it sad that I started laughing when Seb had his spin?

No. It means you are normal. He has days when he simply runs out of talent. Leclerc’s instant success in the same car may well increase the incidence of such events.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:18, woodenhead said:

Schoolboys dream of driving for Ferrari. Real racing drivers want to be in the fastest, most reliable car on the track, whatever colour it is. The ones who hanker after Ferraris are generally those who aren't already driving cars that can beat them.

I reckon Lewis will quite happily stick with Mercedes so long as they keep providing cars that do that, enabling him to win more championships.

If he judged that Ferrari were building cars that could consistently outclass his current team, he's pragmatic enough to change,  but I'm guessing that by then (if it were to happen) Ferrari wouldn't be looking for a new #1 driver anyway. Early indications are that they've just found one who should keep them happy for quite a while.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 6