I should like a big red one

neilmack

I'm not modelling anything in particular, just building a train set that has some visual appeal. I would like to add a red (maroon or crimson, are they different?) steam locomotive to my OO gauge set. I'd like something recently designed, with loco drive, Bachmann or H***by.

Would anyone like to recommend something? Thanks very much.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann do some red LMS loco’s which might be of interest.  0-6-0 “Jinty”,   2-6-0 “Crab” or 4-6-0 Jubilee though they might be more.

I hope that’s might be of help to you.

I was cornered into choosing my favourite loco; not easy because they’re all special. I decided on Bachmann’s Short-firebox Jubilee.

544461478_5664Nelson.jpg.bec5bee508f478778e32930afde89907.jpg

A rather more elegant machine than the Patriot, in my opinion. It is likely to be displaced by Bachmann’s forthcoming V2, so long as Bachmann doesn’t make a mess of it. The V2, though, won’t be red (perish the thought) unless J. K. Rowling is brought in as consultant.

Arguments about colour are fierce and inconclusive. I’d say that crimson is a bright red and maroon is red with some brown mixed in. Any shade under consideration is quite likely to be given different names: officially and unofficially.