Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Didcot GWR Society - 18000 'Kerosene Castle'

Yesterday I visited Didcot, GWR Society half term running day.  I was interested to see what might have been a 3D scan being carried out.  The tripod, with flashing box on top, was set up in a couple of locations (whilst I was there) between the statically displayed 18000 and the 70' turntable.  Perhaps a future commission?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I bet I can come up with a good guess who that might be for ;)    I do hope they knew what they were scanning in view of the modifications carried out when it was in UIC hands although I suspect that one of their employees will have a reasonable idea of what changes that produced.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I would love to see this produced RRT , but as I would be looking for it to be in N gauge I expect to be disappointed, (we can't have everything can we) but for the right price I might be persuaded that my boy's 00 gauge Thomas layout needs one. 

On 22 February 2019 at 12:28, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm, I bet I can come up with a good guess who that might be for ;)    I do hope they knew what they were scanning in view of the modifications carried out when it was in UIC hands although I suspect that one of their employees will have a reasonable idea of what changes that produced.

How? Do you have a crystal ball? Guessing is different to actually knowing :lol_mini:

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, HullCityB17 said:

How? Do you have a crystal ball? Guessing is different to actually knowing :lol_mini:

I might (or might not) know more than I'm saying so for all you know it could have nothing to do with a crystal ball ;)   I could also give you a list of three concerns which in the past had no interest in doing it (they said, and I believed them) but it would be breaking confidences to do so - however none of them seem to have done anything more about since they said that a number of years back.

• RMweb Gold

Mike is in a position to have a degree of insider knowledge, but clearly must be very careful not to disseminate it in any way; pestering him for info will be pointless.  He may or may not know something or not something about possible projects that may or may not be undertaken by someone or other at some time or other somewhere or other somehow or other in some way or other.  Or not.  

I imagine that there are a good few prototypes that have been measured and scanned by one RTR concern or another as part of an investigation into whether or not they are worth producing, but the project doesn't make the cut; designing for efficient production, lack of investment capital or Chinese facilities at the right time, changes of company policy and other factors may cause it to be cancelled or shelved having never been announced or revealed by the company as one of it's intentions.  But I don't really know, I'm only guessing!

• Agree 1

On 22/02/2019 at 15:23, The Johnster said:

It's logical running partner is 18100 of course, and this has the attraction for a manufacturer that it can be released as E2000 as well...

Actually, E1000 / E2001.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:48, Kris said:

I would love to see this produced RRT , but as I would be looking for it to be in N gauge I expect to be disappointed, (we can't have everything can we) but for the right price I might be persuaded that my boy's 00 gauge Thomas layout needs one. 

Langley make a kit for N gauge.

http://www.langley-models.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Locomotive_Body_kits_73.html

I can't comment on it's accuracy as I've never had one.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Langley kit certainly looks the part but getting it to fit the chassis is a pain in the proverbial. I understand the kit has been retooled to fit a modern chassis (possibly a class 37 but I can't remember for sure) which might alleviate that problem but I prefer to struggle on stubbornly than buy another one and make life easier for myself. :crazy:

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Whoever was scanning 18000 I sincerely hope it was a manufacturer who feels able to produce a model for us. By the time my Kernow D601 arrives I will have been patiently waiting for my pre-order for near-on 9 years. I rarely pre-order anything these days and I sincerely hope 18000 doesn't take 9 years but I *will* pre-order an example if one is announced.

It didn't run in Cornwall, probably wouldn't have been allowed over the Tamar Bridge but I don't care.

Just my tuppence worth in case a manufacturer is watching... 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Whoever was scanning 18000 I sincerely hope it was a manufacturer who feels able to produce a model for us. By the time my Kernow D601 arrives I will have been patiently waiting for my pre-order for near-on 9 years. I rarely pre-order anything these days and I sincerely hope 18000 doesn't take 9 years but I *will* pre-order an example if one is announced.

It didn't run in Cornwall, probably wouldn't have been allowed over the Tamar Bridge but I don't care.

Just my tuppence worth in case a manufacturer is watching... 

I will need to start my MTK kit. That will guarantee the appearance of an RT version...

BTW I ordered my Warship on 18/9/10 so about the same time as you Trevor.

• RMweb Premium

18100 was a reasonable regular sight in Plymouth, turning up on various service trains. It was also proposed that 1800 was to be used this service, however I am not sure if this ever occurred. 

• RMweb Premium

I've just dug out my copy of Modern Locomotives Illustrated which has a chapter on this loco. Kris has beaten me to it but as he says 18000 did see service on the Plymouth route, particularly in 1950 and presumably at other times. It was a 'red' engine and at 115 tons was 3 tons lighter than a D600, so in theory at least might have been allowed in to Cornwall. That's enough for me, where do I place my order... :D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2019 at 12:15, Karhedron said:

I think at least one of the Gast turbines made it to Plymouth (although not Cornwall) but I can't remember if it was GT1 or GT2. Possibly on the Merchant Venturer.

The Merchant Venturer ran Paddington - Weston-Super-Mare with the gas turbine booked to come off at Bristol.

18000 ran various trial runs to plymouth in 1950 and 818100 subsequently also ran trial runs to Plymouth and I think might have done some booked service runs as well.  18000 seems to have been mainly kept on Paddington - Bristol working as that kept it near to Swindon - where it tended to spend quite a bit of time due to various problems.  18000 was the only one of the two I actually saw in service but as I only saw it at/starting away from Reading I haven't got a clue what it sounded like running on the gas turbine.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

According to Wikapedia, 18000 (GT1) also had a small diesel which was used for manoeuvring and starting the gas turbine - done at the last minute before departure due to the noise.  18100 (GT2) had battery/electric starter so the gas turbine had to be running for manoeuvring; of course it then may have been shut down until departure.....

Both of these had main generators which then powered the wheel motors.