Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Didcot GWR Society - 18000 'Kerosene Castle'

• RMweb Gold

I'm told that the exhaust from these beasts was pretty fearsome and famous for dislodging accumulated soot from overbridges and tunnel roofs, which was then deposited on the leading coaches of the train.  Wonder if it's downthrust added to tractive effort...

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2019 at 14:47, The Johnster said:

Mike.... may or may not know something or not something about possible projects that may or may not be undertaken by someone or other at some time or other somewhere or other somehow or other in some way or other.  Or not.   

Have you been having lessons from Captain Kernow? ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2019 at 08:33, Ramblin Rich said:

Have you been having lessons from Captain Kernow? ;)

I believe that maybe some time in the distant past when our paths crossed at work  - and perhaps even at the time when I was involved in training him and his colleagues on the new 'Driver-To-Shore radio system (which had its little quirks) - he might possibly have picked up some tips from me on how to be wholly committed to being non-committal?  Alas you'll have to ask him about that as I can neither confirm nor deny - but obviously you're expecting nothing else ;)

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It would seem that KRModels have designs on all three GTs - plus some other oddballs !! (See the GT3 thread).

Fortunately, I already have GT3 - so I can see how things develop, or not.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I believe that maybe some time in the distant past when our paths crossed at work  - and perhaps even at the time when I was involved in training him and his colleagues on the new 'Driver-To-Shore radio system (which had its little quirks) - he might possibly have picked up some tips from me on how to be wholly committed to being non-committal?  Alas you'll have to ask him about that as I can neither confirm nor deny - but obviously you're expecting nothing else ;)

And I could or could not possibly or impossibly comment.  But my abtrusity is self taught, and owes nothing to either the good Captain or to Stationmaster, though I am or am not very flattered that anyone might or might not think that it was of such a high standard!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/03/2019 at 15:46, Jeff Smith said:

According to Wikapedia, 18000 (GT1) also had a small diesel which was used for manoeuvring and starting the gas turbine - done at the last minute before departure due to the noise.  18100 (GT2) had battery/electric starter so the gas turbine had to be running for manoeuvring; of course it then may have been shut down until departure.....

Speaking of which:

I don't need a model of it.

But I'm desperate to hear the sound chip .... :)

• RMweb Premium

I remember seeing 18000 at Didcot as a youngster, the noise was certainly fearsome, I was a bit nervous getting near it. I seem to remember that it was an extremely high revving engine. I would buy an 18000 and 18100. I would also love to see the prototype rebuilt, but I accept it will probably never happen.

• RMweb Premium

When I was a lad at college they had a small gas turbine attached to a dynomometer. Standing next to that under load was certainly an experience. Even in pre health and safety days ear defenders were always worn. I remember the first time I heard it start I thought it was ‘running away’. Faster, faster and faster still until it settled down to a high pitched whine/roar. 

The cotton wool brigade probably wouldn’t  allow it now!

Edited by TrevorP1
Typo
  • Like 2

On 05/03/2019 at 22:31, Jeff Smith said:

Go to your local airport.......or maybe find a recording of an M1 Abrams tank which is also turbine powered.

But I did see and hear it, and no. it didn't sound quite like aircraft jet engine (because it was tucked away inside) but I can't truly recall how it did sound - except it was different to anything else I ever heard.

• RMweb Premium

My Father also said it smelled odd. But I don’t suppose he’d had the pleasure of too many jets in those days.

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Did it sound anything like Thunderbird 2? All the sci-fi series in the 1960s seemed to use a similar sound effect for jets etc.

I like it but somehow "Kerosene Castle is go!"  doesn't quite have the same ring to it... :)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

18 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The original prototype APT was also gas turbine powered, maybe there are recordings of this?

The Rapido APT-E has a sound version with sounds taken from original sound recordings.

However it's quite a long thread so it may take a bit of searching to find them.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87114-the-official-rapido-apt-e-thread/

But here is a YouTube video with sounds to give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XNk9tCpE8

Jason

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2019 at 12:52, Jeff Smith said:

Yesterday I visited Didcot, GWR Society half term running day.  I was interested to see what might have been a 3D scan being carried out.  The tripod, with flashing box on top, was set up in a couple of locations (whilst I was there) between the statically displayed 18000 and the 70' turntable.  Perhaps a future commission?

Now we know don't we.:D

• Agree 3