SWAG Member's Day - 2020 - CANCELLED

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ramblin Rich said:

In view of the current lockdown, I need to change my user name to "walking within a 2 mile radius of my home Rich"

Yet there remains no specified distance - only "advice" as to how often it may be prudent to leave home.  And other than in Wales there is also no limit set on the number of times we may depart the premises in a day.  

How about "Ramblin Within a Reasonable Distance of Home Rich"? :jester:

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Yet there remains no specified distance - only "advice" as to how often it may be prudent to leave home.  And other than in Wales there is also no limit set on the number of times we may depart the premises in a day.  

How about "Ramblin Within a Reasonable Distance of Home Rich"? :jester:

I dont know about the legal position but I am fairly sure the instruction was to only go out for exercise once a day. The dog doesn't believe this and keeps looking at me around the time for the evening walk. This one is a terrier but we have had collies  in the past. I cannot imagine trying to keep a collie in a flat with only one walk a day. 

We have quite a large garden so can be outside a lot well away from others. It does seem very strange though without the sound of the trains on the WSR. We also had the pleasure of hearing  the gibbons yesterday morning  they are in a tourist attraction must seem very odd to them with no visitors

Don

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Are you close to Watchet then Don? 

Rob 

Indeed our postal address is Watchet and I walk the dog across the fields into the edge of Watchet every morning these days as I fetl someone might object to us driving to the Quantocks five minutes away.  Cannot see the railway from here although I have seen puffs of smoke from the top of the garden. Somewhere out in the view from our place was the longest railway inclined plane at Comberrow on the Mineral line.

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

Indeed our postal address is Watchet and I walk the dog across the fields into the edge of Watchet every morning these days as I fetl someone might object to us driving to the Quantocks five minutes away.  Cannot see the railway from here although I have seen puffs of smoke from the top of the garden. Somewhere out in the view from our place was the longest railway inclined plane at Comberrow on the Mineral line.

Don

It was the reference to gibbons that did it, Don. 

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

We call them Emmets in Cornwall, must be a Somerset thing.

Those who are currently being found down there are being called something a lot less polite!  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

It was the reference to gibbons that did it, Don. 

We have a very good view of the radio masts. Mind you from the top of the garden we can also see the welsh coast and the mountains behind. I will wave to you next time I am up there :jester:

In Brixham tourists were called Grockles when we were there. I have not heard any term for them in West Somerset but perhaps as neither of us are natives here they only use it behind our backs. I have no idea whether any of these gibbons were born here or not.

Cornwall may have a lot of incomers but I doubt if it is a many as where I was born in Lambeth.  I dislike second homes were they can kill a village some become dead in winter. Incomers are ok unless they want to change the place to suit themselves.

Din

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

In view of the current lockdown, I need to change my user name to "walking within a 2 mile radius of my home Rich"

Thankfully the requirement to wear Lycra or a shopping bag to save the Police time in who they stop has been put on hold . . .

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Donw said:

In Brixham tourists were called Grockles when we were there.

common usage for them in Dorset too. 

53 minutes ago, Donw said:

any of these gibbons were born here or not. . . .

Cornwall may have a lot of incomers

Who did they look at in the tourist attraction before the gibbons replaced them?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Who did they look at in the tourist attraction before the gibbons replaced them?

The Wurzels. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, mullie said:

On Portland outsiders are called Kimberlins

Next door on the Isle of Wight they are called "overners"; overners in turn call Islanders "caulkheads"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The Isle of wight is a special case the East and West Islanders  regard each other as foreigners despite the Island only being only 25 miles  wide.  As far as they are concerned we all live in the North Island.  We lived there while caring for the In-laws my friend Gary lived round the corner in Alveston Road . His family had moved there from Cowes when he was six months old.  When he married he had to live in rented accomodation for a year before they bought a house in the same road he is still there  over 70 years old.  I suspect that had once been common in the North Island but more unusual. 

Whenn in Brixham we found the House Marion's grandfather had been born in where his dad had a joiner's workshop. Her Great Grandmothers parent lived a little up the road,  Her Great Grandfathers dad and Grandfather lived a little further along.  People tended to stay in once place much more in those days. 

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 07:46, Stubby47 said:

Important News!!!

Plans are now in negotiation to create the Virtual Show. 

More details soon.

More plans are being planned.

Lots of things.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Donw said:

Whenn in Brixham we found the House Marion's grandfather had been born in where his dad had a joiner's workshop. Her Great Grandmothers parent lived a little up the road,  Her Great Grandfathers dad and Grandfather lived a little further along.  People tended to stay in once place much more in those days. 

Don

I 'm living in the house I was brought up in. My parents bought it from my Grandmother who owned it more or less from when it was first built in the 1920s. My daughter is therefore the fourth generation of the same family to have lived here. 

I have photos from the 20s/30s all showing the family at the house right through until now. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I 'm living in the house I was brought up in. My parents bought it from my Grandmother who owned it more or less from when it was first built in the 1920s. My daughter is therefore the fourth generation of the same family to have lived here. 

I have photos from the 20s/30s all showing the family at the house right through until now. 

Rob. 

Still got the outside loo ?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Still got the outside loo ?

Seeing as you ask, in a manner of speaking,  Yes. 

Originally accessed from the garden, HQ is now accessed from inside the house and comes complete with magazine rack,  cup holder and cat flap. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1