PTA/JTA/JUA, By Accurascale (NOW WITH ADDED BSC INNERS!)

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Philou said:

Ah , same time as the 92 and the rest ............. :(.

Thanks anyway, Fran.

Cheers,

Philip

92s aren’t due till late March, and the Mark 5s are Q2, so looking like May at least, so spreads it out a bit!

Cheers,

Fran

On 05/08/2019 at 21:48, Accurascale Fran said:

92s aren’t due till late March, and the Mark 5s are Q2, so looking like May at least, so spreads it out a bit!

Cheers,

Fran

Firstly, hello all! Incredibly long time lurker, just this minute joined, as I’m just about to drop the heavy end of £600 on a just a few Accurascale Tipplers! So, firstly, may I say an official ‘hello’ to anyone who reads this,  and I look forward to getting to know some of you a lot better in the future; ) 

However... As expected, my first question is directed to Fran

Fran,

Firstly, I gotta say it’s great to have the manufacturer so active on RMWEB, not only joining in the discussion, regarding all of our personal passion for your frankly stunning RTR PTA Tipplers and all that is the subtle beauty of our favourite BR Wagons! All, sadly much more prevalent on our railways, when I was a lad, than they are now! 

Anyway.... As you will have gathered, I’m extremely interested in a rather healthy order of 20 x Tipplers... One set of outers and 3 inners.. I am looking at the earlier Grey, with orange end, as it fits right into my era and many did I see on the Hunterston & Ravenscraig journey... 

Which brings me onto your cad drawings and the slightly blue/grey, also pointed out one page back by ‘John’. I can’t help but notice that the colour of grey seems to be more of a ‘teal’, rather than the dark grey (almost black), I remember from my many days trainspotting, as a young man? 

Now I realise these are only the initial cad drawings and the shape was probably the main reason for said drawings? However... In my many years as a spotter, this was not a colour I ever saw? Actually, the colour I saw on a regular basis, was a much darker grey, much more akin to the grey which is featured on the ‘typical train formation diagram’ you have posted a couple of times, within this thread. The one showing the very ambitious, yet something that all being well, I will end up modelling ‘Triple headed 37 train’...

So, I guess my question is simple on the surface? Will the grey be the grey I remember as a kid, going into young adulthood? Or is the CAD drawing on your website an accurate representation of the way you are going , with the grey? Funnily enough, my small posse of fellow trainspotters and I, actually nicknamed the wagons as ‘Duracells’, mainly owing to the stark contrast between the dark, almost black grey and quirky orange end? 

Also, the wagons were exactly the same as the ones you are producing, with absolutely no markings at all, apart from the ones shown in your cad designs. With always one fully dark grey wagon nearest to the Loco(s]

Just thought I’d check before the wife divorces me is all Fran! I will undoubtedly tell her that it was a 2 for one wagon special day anyhow ; )

Thanks again Fran! Look forward to hearing from you..

Best Wishes,

Coop 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Coop said:

Firstly, hello all! Incredibly long time lurker, just this minute joined, as I’m just about to drop the heavy end of £600 on a just a few Accurascale Tipplers! So, firstly, may I say an official ‘hello’ to anyone who reads this,  and I look forward to getting to know some of you a lot better in the future; ) 

However... As expected, my first question is directed to Fran

Fran,

Firstly, I gotta say it’s great to have the manufacturer so active on RMWEB, not only joining in the discussion, regarding all of our personal passion for your frankly stunning RTR PTA Tipplers and all that is the subtle beauty of our favourite BR Wagons! All, sadly much more prevalent on our railways, when I was a lad, than they are now! 

Anyway.... As you will have gathered, I’m extremely interested in a rather healthy order of 20 x Tipplers... One set of outers and 3 inners.. I am looking at the earlier Grey, with orange end, as it fits right into my era and many did I see on the Hunterston & Ravenscraig journey... 

Which brings me onto your cad drawings and the slightly blue/grey, also pointed out one page back by ‘John’. I can’t help but notice that the colour of grey seems to be more of a ‘teal’, rather than the dark grey (almost black), I remember from my many days trainspotting, as a young man? 

Now I realise these are only the initial cad drawings and the shape was probably the main reason for said drawings? However... In my many years as a spotter, this was not a colour I ever saw? Actually, the colour I saw on a regular basis, was a much darker grey, much more akin to the grey which is featured on the ‘typical train formation diagram’ you have posted a couple of times, within this thread. The one showing the very ambitious, yet something that all being well, I will end up modelling ‘Triple headed 37 train’...

So, I guess my question is simple on the surface? Will the grey be the grey I remember as a kid, going into young adulthood? Or is the CAD drawing on your website an accurate representation of the way you are going , with the grey? Funnily enough, my small posse of fellow trainspotters and I, actually nicknamed the wagons as ‘Duracells’, mainly owing to the stark contrast between the dark, almost black grey and quirky orange end? 

Also, the wagons were exactly the same as the ones you are producing, with absolutely no markings at all, apart from the ones shown in your cad designs. With always one fully dark grey wagon nearest to the Loco(s]

Just thought I’d check before the wife divorces me is all Fran! I will undoubtedly tell her that it was a 2 for one wagon special day anyhow ; )

Thanks again Fran! Look forward to hearing from you..

Best Wishes,

Coop 

Hi Coop,

Many thanks for the kind words and welcome to RMWeb. Appreciate the feedback on how we do things.

The graphic representation of the wagons are just placeholder for now, and colour will be correct on the final wagons as they left the works. Colour is assessed from China on the second sample we receive from the factory, and if you check out the PFA thread you can see that we show these, take feedback on board and correct them before production, even if it means a slight delay. So, rest assured the colour will be correct, and feedback on these samples in a couple of months time will be welcomed! As you say we have it right in the formation guide.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 7

Good evening Fran! 

Been dying to get back on all day, although duty calls and your lovely wagons most certainly won’t pay for themselves will they! 

As for your answer regarding the eventual colour of the grey, you have more than put my mind at ease, so very much appreciated in that regard good buddy! ! 

Also, thanks for the very warm welcome to RMWEB.. I signed up to both yesterday in fact! Firstly here At RMWEB and secondly, at your website. Both of which I have been a lurker on, for quite some time. Although, I have probably been lurking around here for a good 4 years or so, therefore I cannot believe I have only just signed up! 

Anyhows..... I guess there is now only one thing left to do & that’s place my order for a very healthy rake of the early grey & orange PTA’s! Thanks again for your decision to do the inners Fran, as my intended rake, would be impossible without them... 

My only worry is, what happens when my pre ordered Yeoman & ARC Dapol 59’s arrive? Looks as though you will also have another sale on some Yeoman & ARC rakes too! Oh dear! Better start looking for a new missus now eh? 

Which reminds me.... If anyone by the name of Rachel, happens to email you from my email address regarding my order.... Jjust remember, I was lucky enough to place my order on the ‘2 wagons for the price of one’ promotional day, you were having! ; ) 

Thanks again Fran, your help has been invaluable! Cannot wait to see the colour samples! 

Best Wishes,

Coop

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

@Fran

I did leave a message a few days ago direct on your site but I have had no answer as yet (not surprised though as I wanted to 'paragraph' the message and in so doing it would go direct to 'send' so it all got a bit dis-jointed!).

The question I raised was this: In placing the order, no indication was given regarding the multi-buy discount at the check-out, though the postage was exceptionally cheap. Is that where the discount went?

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Philou said:

@Fran

I did leave a message a few days ago direct on your site but I have had no answer as yet (not surprised though as I wanted to 'paragraph' the message and in so doing it would go direct to 'send' so it all got a bit dis-jointed!).

The question I raised was this: In placing the order, no indication was given regarding the multi-buy discount at the check-out, though the postage was exceptionally cheap. Is that where the discount went?

Cheers,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Sorry, currently away on holiday before the busy season starts up again, but will look into it for you on Monday when I’m back if that’s okay?

Cheers

Fran

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

Did the Yeoman or ARC JTA/PTAs ever run together in the same trains with the two axle PGAs?  I would love to be able to run my old Lima/Hornby PGA wagons with these.

Hi Mevaman1,

-Not saying it didn't happen but the photos we dug up for the formations article were nearly all box wagons only, except for a few jumbos comprised of bogie boxes and bogie hoppers. We didn’t come across PGAs and tipplers in the same train, but I bet someone somewhere has a pic of one I bet!

Cheers!

Fran

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mevaman1,

-Not saying it didn't happen but the photos we dug up for the formations article were nearly all box wagons only, except for a few jumbos comprised of bogie boxes and bogie hoppers. We didn’t come across PGAs and tipplers in the same train, but I bet someone somewhere has a pic of one I bet!

Cheers!

Fran

Would have thought they would have mainly worked in trains separately, for different locations.  PGA's need discharge equipment, but the box wagons need a grab to unload! 

Regards,

C.

• Agree 1

Commonplace to find Jumbo's made up of hoppers and boxes in recent years

not sure about ex tipplers, that said not sure PGA's were ever formed up in the jumbos, could be wrong though....ultimately it's your models so rule 1 applies 

perhaps search for it via Flickr?

Edited by eric709

4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

PGAs had instanter couplings. Not sure these would have the strength to go in a jumbo. In fact, it would surprise me if they did. 

Jo

Correct marshalling of wagons can overcome the coupling strength issues, in this case PGA’s at the rear.

Similar to OAA’s with Block Traffic.

Mark Saunders 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, mevaman1 said:

What about the jumbo trains to Acton Yard where they were split to different destinations?  Could these have mixed boxes and hoppers?

I was thinking of the jumbo trains, but as I said we havent seen a photo of it on our travels yet. Not to say that it didnt happen, but a bad photo is better than the best memory as we say. 

Still, they would look good together and it's your railway at the end of the day... :)

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran and team,

Well I couldn’t resist any longer and went ahead with a rake of 10 tipplers to recreate the Hardendale to Ravenscraig workings, will help fill the new fiddle yard for Newlands Park with plenty of steel workings along side the EMU’s.

cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Fran and team,

Well I couldn’t resist any longer and went ahead with a rake of 10 tipplers to recreate the Hardendale to Ravenscraig workings, will help fill the new fiddle yard for Newlands Park with plenty of steel workings along side the EMU’s.

cheers

Mark

Many thanks for the order, Mark! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Correct marshalling of wagons can overcome the coupling strength issues, in this case PGA’s at the rear.

Similar to OAA’s with Block Traffic.

Mark Saunders 

Whilst I agree that correct marshalling can be a means to overcome the lower coupling strength of the Instanter on PGAs, it was not unusual for couplings to break during marshalling of trains of PGAs. The reason was simply poor operating practice caused by propelling the train on to one leg of a triangle at the quarry, and reversing the train suddenly as soon as the whole train was on that leg and the turnout had been reversed. The slack in the long train meant that the back of the train and the front of the train were moving in opposite directions when the direction of the locomotive was reversed. Result was normally a broken Instanter, but worse would be a stretched one going undetected.

On 17/08/2019 at 13:01, mevaman1 said:

Did the Yeoman or ARC JTA/PTAs ever run together in the same trains with the two axle PGAs?  I would love to be able to run my old Lima/Hornby PGA wagons with these.

:excl: Saddo Alert :excl:

I've spent more hours than I care to mention looking at pics of mendip aggregate workings from this period.

Never seen this.

Guy

• Thanks 2
  • Funny 3