The London Festival of Railway Modelling- 21 & 22 March 2020

BRMExhibitions

August great - means I can travel without having to think how many layers I need.

This is how one trip to Ally Pally went in March - left house coat/jumper/shirt - arrived in London carrying coat - got to Ally Pally station began walking up the hill - half way to the top and the jumper was off, by the time I was queuing to buy a ticket the shirt sleeves were all rolled up and I was boiling.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

August great - means I can travel without having to think how many layers I need.

This is how one trip to Ally Pally went in March - left house coat/jumper/shirt - arrived in London carrying coat - got to Ally Pally station began walking up the hill - half way to the top and the jumper was off, by the time I was queuing to buy a ticket the shirt sleeves were all rolled up and I was boiling.

Or the other time one Saturday morning, all was ok, cold and dry.

Came out in the afternoon and there was snow on the ground!

Made walking back down the hill a little more entertaining, especially with carrier bags of goodies.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2020 at 10:16, adrianmc said:

The new dates are on the world-of-railways website:

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/information/the-london-festival-of-railway-modelling

"Warners Shows have decided to cancel the London Festival of Railway Modelling, 21-22 March 2020. 

We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding events to the hobby and this decision was not reached lightly, but the right one for the health and safety of all involved. Naturally, we are all very disappointed. We have secured a new date (22/23 August 2020) - more details will follow in May.

Thank you to all the sponsors, exhibitors, layouts, societies and visitors for their continued support for the show during these exceptional circumstances.

We will shortly be making contact with everyone who is involved in the show to organise transfers / refunds."

Sadly I don't think that is possible looking at current problems.    Charlie

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Let's at least try and think positively can we?  There is enough doom and gloom as it is!!

Positive thinking might suggest there will now be enough 377s to allow the 313s to retire! ;)  

I have managed to source much of what I could have bought at AP today some of which has already arrived and more is expected soon.  OK I don't get to see the layouts nor take away inspiration and ideas from them nor do I get to chat with folk either over the railings or at the bar.  And I don't get to make those impulse "I never knew I needed one of those" purchases which will actually help my overall budget slightly!  

But there is this place and there is the antisocial media wherein we can have "live" face-to-face conversations and potentially show each other what we're up to.  Yesterday I was introduced to Zoom which allows a virtual meeting of large numbers of people.  

Could we arrange a virtual exhibition, perhaps? 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Could we arrange a virtual exhibition, perhaps? 

Happening today on twitter and I guess other places too.

Edited by john new
Shortened the quoted post for relevance to reply

There is reaction and there is over-reaction.

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Positive thinking might suggest there will now be enough 377s to allow the 313s to retire! ;) 

As most already have!

• RMweb Premium

Still clattering along the Sussex coast until about 2024....  It would be nice if the down time for the reduced timetable was used for something like a respray or eighteen...

• Like 1

Had a trip on one from Brighton several years ago now, seemed to have been refurbished with better seating if I remember correctly. If they are going on to 2024 then they will be really vintage, calls for another trip sometime!

The GN ones went Autumn 2019, one unit was repainted (into blue/grey I think) for last trips and was going to nrm.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, railroadbill said:

one unit was repainted (into blue/grey I think) for last trips and was going to nrm.

Southern's 313201 is blue/grey but might not look too good if it has to last until 2024.  All Southern units (class 313/2) have been re-seated ; whether the seats are any better is a moot point; I remember the originals when they arrived on the GN Electrics in '76 which were fine if a bit squeezy when all three seats were in use.  You were only separated from you fellow commuters' upper thighs by the thickness of two pairs of trousers - rather close for comfort when you think about it!!!  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Southern's 313201 is blue/grey but might not look too good if it has to last until 2024.  All Southern units (class 313/2) have been re-seated ; whether the seats are any better is a moot point; I remember the originals when they arrived on the GN Electrics in '76 which were fine if a bit squeezy when all three seats were in use.  You were only separated from you fellow commuters' upper thighs by the thickness of two pairs of trousers - rather close for comfort when you think about it!!!  

Fresh off a 313 from LA to BAA. Functional is probably the only way to describe them but they do have one good point it today's climate - you can open the window and get 'fresh' air in; aircon helps incubate viruses, cold fresh air is their worst enemy!

• Like 2

They just seem to have been around for so long. But as the original stock for the GN electrification they were a quantum leap ahead from the 105 cravens DMUs, which I had a soft spot for,   and those awful class 125 DMUs with the hydraulic transmission on which for a while I commuted from Broad Street. 

The 313s were also used on a more frequent timetable than before which I think increased the number of passengers a lot.

• RMweb Gold

Sad to have missed the show weekend, glad though that I am not now starting the 3 hour drive home with a crawl round the North Circular followed by the second  inevitable crawl on the M25 section past Heathrow.

Edited by john new
Typos corrected
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Fresh off a 313 from LA to BAA. Functional is probably the only way to describe them but they do have one good point it today's climate - you can open the window and get 'fresh' air in; aircon helps incubate viruses, cold fresh air is their worst enemy!

Having spent some years commuting on the sisters of Class 313, Class 314, I have to say the opening hopper windows were IMHO one of their worst features; Because whoever opened the window didn't feel the resulting draught, that was inflicted on the people sitting behind them !

1 hour ago, caradoc said:

Having spent some years commuting on the sisters of Class 313, Class 314, I have to say the opening hopper windows were IMHO one of their worst features; Because whoever opened the window didn't feel the resulting draught, that was inflicted on the people sitting behind them !

Sierra Oscar Delta that, it's still FRESH air!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, john new said:

Sad to have missed the show weekend, glad though that I am not now starting the 3 hour drive home with a crawl round the North Circular followed by the second  inevitable crawl on the M25 section past Heathrow.

But the roads were pretty clear today ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, john new said:

DL safely packed away after the weekend.

Ah.

Oops......................

:D ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• AY Mod locked this topic
  • AY Mod unpinned this topic