Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Quirky Poll

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sharris said:

This is one of my stalled projects at the moment- the Marklin model is of a Type 11, while the one I'm doing, trialled on the Oxford to Cambridge line was a Type 9. The railcars were tiny to start with, mixing H0 with 4mm might be pushing the tininess a bit far.

A type 22 was also trialled a few years later.

It's the 22 that appeals more to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Hroth

The B17/5s are more likely to find their way into 'the main Poll'. However, they haven't done so  yet as we are running beyond 'maximum permitted load' in the LNER Locos category and the class has seldom been requested. Maybe one day.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Perhaps they can be subbed in when someone produces an E4...

• Like 1

That will be next year then? After many years, I acquired an E4 kit at Warley, to complete my shed roster for the Cambridge area (and it is a large roster). After all the previous last-but-one was an N7, which I also got from Warley a little while back......still not quite finished, and Oxford beat me to it.....

Stewart

I love the Paget engine, I’m biased towards everything Midland Railway though. Some people think the real engine was possibly sabotaged by Richard Deeley because Paget wasn’t from an engineering background (he worked in the carriage and wagon department at Derby under Johnson) Paget designed other engines too which were based on Kirtley and Johnson designs but combined together. Only the Paget engine was built in the end but his other designs were interesting too. The only way anyone will know if the rumours about the Paget engine being sabotaged Are true or not would have to build a replica but built to 21st century standards, it could also be improved upon in service like Tornado too. Thank you for an interesting poll and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Jason Pape said:

I love the Paget engine, I’m biased towards everything Midland Railway though. Some people think the real engine was possibly sabotaged by Richard Deeley because Paget wasn’t from an engineering background (he worked in the carriage and wagon department at Derby under Johnson) Paget designed other engines too which were based on Kirtley and Johnson designs but combined together. Only the Paget engine was built in the end but his other designs were interesting too. The only way anyone will know if the rumours about the Paget engine being sabotaged Are true or not would have to build a replica but built to 21st century standards, it could also be improved upon in service like Tornado too. Thank you for an interesting poll and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Cecil Paget was in the Locomotive Department, being Works Manager in Deeley's time. He'd trained under S.W. Johnson. Possibly his greatest handicap in relations with his colleagues in that department was that his father, Sir Ernest, was the company chairman. I suspect that Johnson had been very happy to pack him off to Schenectady for several months to oversee construction of their batch of moguls.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Emmet locos can be had in Gn15 as kits from Smallbrook, though wonderful I can’t see them being given a tv update ;) 
Slightly disappointed that the Camberwick Green‘s Bessie and the Magic Roundabout train didn’t make the list :P

• Agree 1

I think one of the candidates for this poll should have been the little boxy Peebles / Ganz electric locos for the PB&SSR narrow gauge railway. Sadly the project was stillborne and they never ran, but I believe one was exhibited at the Crystal Palace exhibition. Imagine a 009 version amongst all the other 009 products in the scale's "rennaisance" !! 

• Like 2

I was going to vote for the Sentinel gyro electric loco - it's in the poll list but it's not in the voting page! :banghead:

Turbine electric as second choice.

For next years "quirky", how about a Fairmont speeder - they were probably some of the oddest real-world "locomotives" actually mass produced!

img.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What about Fowler’s Ghost? Possibly the most obscure loco to run in the London area.

Also the USA built diesels that worked at Dagenham Ford works - although I think I may have seen one in 0 gauge.

The Blenkinsop rack loco could also be a contender for next year!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Colin said:

Also the USA built diesels that worked at Dagenham Ford works - although I think I may have seen one in 0 gauge.

I thought the Dagenham locos were British-built, albeit to an American design (they were essentially the same as those used in Ford's US factories).

Prototype photo (and information) here:  https://preservation.kesr.org.uk/diesel-locomotives/no-40

O gauge model here:  http://www.lutonmodelrailwayclub.org.uk/central_works.htm

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandwich station said:

Wasn't they Full-Strength?

Possibly, my uncle smoked them, they didn't do him any good.

I recalled that they were proud about being the strongest cigarettes on the market.

2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

That could be counted as showing your age!

"counting" was associated with Players Navy Cut....

Which he also smoked.

(There was also a dire joke associated with Players)

• RMweb Gold

On the hit list of ‘things I’m keeping an eye out for’ is a cheap Hornby peckett (I understand that’s what’s underneath the tin work), so I can do this (not my photo)

2D49EA4D-D53A-43F7-BF99-AFC32E1E43FD.jpeg.dff50897130b2cc6b5c9de8ceabe8662.jpeg

That and I’d buy a Sirapite tomorrow if it was available in OO.

Owain

Edited by Firecracker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Also sad not to see a DeLorean too..

I don't know why anyone should be sad, disappointed or whatever when it's a quirky, fun poll that the team put some time into. Some have entered into the fun, some have taken the opportunity to be a Dickensian cliche.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've had a hankering for the Listowel & Ballybunion in 4 mm scale but I've never been able to decide whether to do it in 00 or EM or go the whole hog* and go for P4.

*Two whole hogs, otherwise it wouldn't be stable.

Hello Compound2632

Someone else has suggested that earlier on, so it's 'on the agenda' already.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Quite surprised that Lion or/aka Titfield Thunderbolt did not make the list - as the votes for that would probably put it straight into contention as a model to be made.

Hello David

Has been put on the agenda.

• Like 2