Penmaenbach 4mm Inglenook+ with Photo Album link on p9

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Chris,

Nice idea with the throttle holders, I need to get round to sorting that for my layouts. I usually just rest my throttle (also NCE power cab) on the keg frames but it has dropped to the floor a couple of times at shows.

It'd be nice to hear a bit more about your card system, has it changed much from when I operated Dock Street at Thornbury?

Yup - dropped throttles can be an issue - I now have an RC ProCab throttle  which is not tethered so has no cord or cable to break a fall! ( I have got hold of a curly RJ12 cord which I use with the Powercab and is quite short)

The cards have probably not changed - we have a photo on the ones we use now. The OBA/VAA is the standard wagon unit - we started off with nothing longer at Thornbury last week  but fed in a few longer ones as we got used to it. Generally we could manage the 3/3/4 problem as there are a few shorter vehicles as well....we did not resort to using the mainline as an overflow but it could be used if we decided to use a lot of longer vehicles at the same time....

Chris

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Chris,  nice photo's of the layout from Thornbury, when you painted your concrete hut did you use acrylic or enamel paint, I was wondering as I've got to paint mine and wondered if a water based acrylic would warp the card at all? 

• RMweb Gold

Steve

IIRC I think the white is thin coats of a Halfords primer spray and the blue is enamel - hand painted. I've also done one with an overall spray - acrylic I think . I tend to brace well with strip wood - a lesson learnt from US HO wood kits and I spray internally as well - the roof being made up separately and added at the end.Doors and windows painted separately and fitted later.

50723619017_f8171ce672_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Interesting criticism of my layout in the February Railway Modeller letters page.....

Chris

Hmmmm, yes. His gist seems to be that you don’t have a run round and therefore it’s not prototypical …..I don’t have one either, take up too much space on small layouts. 

Where’s his imagination ? My wagons are backed in and that’s because the run round is off scene .

At least he had the decency to say your modelling was top notch .

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Interesting criticism of my layout in the February Railway Modeller letters page.....

Chris

Take lots of no notice. As Rob D2 says, a complete failure of imagination, and it seems the chap just doesn't like small/micro layouts anyway.

I bought this issue yesterday; for me the best bit was the reprinted Issue 1. The rest of it went in the recycle bin half an hour later. The perils of buying something you can't flick through first.... :rolleyes: ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, griffgriff said:

You’d think that the editor would have ‘edited’ this lack of understanding to the bin.  Goodness knows what the writer would think if he saw Akeman Street UKF depot back in the day.

Griff

Cheers Griff - I have sent off a summary of my views to the editor  - it will be interesting to see what is published - if it is! Trolling in a magazine!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, griffgriff said:

You’d think that the editor would have ‘edited’ this lack of understanding to the bin.  Goodness knows what the writer would think if he saw Akeman Street UKF depot back in the day.

Griff

Ahh yes, involving a propelling move of about two miles if I remember?

• Agree 1

A similar propelling move used to take place from Langley Green to the Albright & Wilson chemicals factory at Oldbury in the West Midlands. I should think there were plenty of UK examples back in the day. It happens all the time on U.S. Railroads, but I suspect the complaining letter writer wouldn't be interested in "Foreign rubbish" either. ;) :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

My favourite was Farringdon on the Meon valley line . There was no run round At Farringdon and trains were propelled over some distance with A brake van leading . Initially this was done by steam but for the last 3 or 4 years a class 33 was the motive power. 
there are plenty of other examples . Bason Bridge creamery was usually served by a propelling move after the closure of the Highbridge branch until final closure in 1972. 
I didn’t understand the criticism of what I think is a superb little layout 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, david51 said:

I didn’t understand the criticism

I think you've hit the nail on the head - I wondered if I'd missed something. What I've tried to do is create a bit of a moving diorama which does have a bit of operational variety and challenge in a small space. At the Thornbury show I think we achieved that. A prototypical presentation would run the risk of becoming the freight equivalent of a the sleepy GWR branchline which only has 3 return workings a day with the same loco and rolling stock?

Edited by Gilbert
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The number of branches where there was no run-round and needed propelling moves or double heading must be legion. And not just ones where the traffic levels were low either. Middleton Towers after branch truncation - sand traffic still goes on, and Snape Goods (which at one time dispatched more sugar beet than any other GE area station), are two that immediately come to mind. But it takes all sorts doesn’t it although sometimes you do wonder……

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Chris,

As I said on your group post, if you're happy with the layout then that's what counts.

Water and Duck springs to mind....

It would be interesting to see something that's he's built.

Cheers.

Found myself wondering who Walter was until I put my glasses on properly.........

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I do not like the inglenook type of layout and I would not build one for myself. 

I am very much a 'loop' person. 

But...........

I spent a very enjoyable day operating PMB at the Thornbury show last November. It's very well crafted, extremely well thought out and a splendid  layout to operate. 

'Outraged of Letter page' needs to open their eyes..........

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Off topic, but it reminds me a bit of the solution in Cuba when half of a 2-car DMU breaks down. Just bench the non-working car and the remaining one works as a single in both directions with a bloke standing in the connecting doorway shouting guidance to the driver at the back.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I do not like the inglenook type of layout and I would not build one for myself. 

I am very much a 'loop' person. 

But...........

I spent a very enjoyable day operating PMB at the Thornbury show last November. It's a very well crafted, extremely well thought out and a splendid  layout to operate. 

'Outraged of Letter page' needs to open their eyes..........

Rob. 

You're very kind Rob 

I think - on reflection I fundamentally did not like the statement "that shunting layouts should follow the 1926 Guidelines relating to propelling moves or have a loop allowing a train to be drawn in, shunted and then move on".  I was thinking of an oval with cheeky little J70s next.....bummer...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ianmianmianm said:

Off topic, but it reminds me a bit of the solution in Cuba when half of a 2-car DMU breaks down. Just bench the non-working car and the remaining one works as a single in both directions with a bloke standing in the connecting doorway shouting guidance to the driver at the back.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me!

• Like 1