The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Self isolation support group

Neil

Message added by AY Mod

Please keep this thread free of Coronavirus information or discussion, there are two other threads to go into details if one wishes to visit.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Excellent idea, Neil. Common findings in our isolation will reassure others they are normal. 

On your last point, this from the BBC Website Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told the BBC that over-70s will be told they can go out for walks under the guidelines.

We didn't know the Transport portfolio includes walking - but we do now! 

In fact,I have just trialled walking but using solo guidelines rather than DfT.Purpose was to take wife’s repeat prescription to GP surgery. Both pedestrian and vehicle traffic much reduced today.Resisted strong urge to hurl any potentially infected humanoid encroaching on my space into Trent. Surgery car park nearly empty.On a Monday?  Enter pressing auto door pad with elbow .Alien confronted me in the form of practice nurse attached to mask and plastic pinafore.Handed over paper and retreated to outside world.Chatted to neighbour outside house.He,living on his own,totally unconcerned re:virus.Intends visit to family in North London this weekend.Was surprised when I told him of the number of upcoming events we’ve just had cancelled.Needs to borrow my drain rods which I duly excavated from the back of the shed.Happy day.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

In fact,I have just trialled walking but using solo guidelines rather than DfT. Purpose was to take wife’s repeat prescription to GP surgery. 

Does your surgery not allow you to order repeat prescriptions online? Ours does and the prescription is then sent directly to our local Tesco's for us to collect which we do when next shopping. Next stage is to have them delivered directly so we don't have to leave the house, for example via https://prescriptionsdirect.godaddysites.com/prescriptions . May set this up soon if we're forced to self-isolate being both the wrong side of 70. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

We have also taken our own view of what is sensible and gone into "minimum social contact" mode. Frankly, I have lost faith in Government statements, which now seem to be following the public consensus rather than providing leadership.

I assume that some of us will have a lot more time for modelling! Two weeks in Spain has just gone off the agenda with nothing else in the diary.

Maybe I should sign up Mrs Burgundy for a couple of months on Ancestry.com.  Last time, she found it totally addictive and  tracked down 6 great aunts whom she knew nothing about. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am considering self isolation as I am in both the top two vulnerable groups as far as mortality rate goes.  I had decided though to continue walking and as I’m a bit of an ant-social git I would avoid human contact while out anyway.

However, Valerie (Mrs BoD) works at one of the big supermarkets on the tills.  She says they have been busier than at Xmas but are not provided with any sanitiser and don’t even have  time to go and wash hands.  I may be peeing against the wind here.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

19 minutes ago, RFS said:

Does your surgery not allow you to order repeat prescriptions online? Ours does and the prescription is then sent directly to our local Tesco's for us to collect which we do when next shopping. Next stage is to have them delivered directly so we don't have to leave the house, for example via https://prescriptionsdirect.godaddysites.com/prescriptions . May set this up soon if we're forced to self-isolate being both the wrong side of 70. 

Be careful regarding the delivery. The delivery man will have been to a lot of people before he gets to you. Some may be self isolating because they do have symptoms. Delivery men, as well as the pharmacy team are not immune. It’s like Christamas in pharmacy land as well and there are only so many delivery slots available.

keep well and be sensible.

Regards 

Robert(MRPharms)

• Like 5

We have adopted a non contact way of life, can't totally rule out someone leaving the lurgie lying around, but we go out when it's quiet and have plenty to do at home, I have spent most of the day in the garden and assisting in domestic duties where I'm deemed competent(I can't hang out washing, it seems I do it all wrong)...……………..go figure……………….

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I can't hang out washing, it seems I do it all wrong

Top work, Sir!

A mate of mine got a round of tea for the entire department on his first day. Utterly undrinkable. He sat there smirking and said "You wont be asking me again will you?!"

Just to add for those isolating (my Dad is too), try to keep spirits up! My work decided to send us all home very early on and I found personally that only having forums etc to keep in touch with reality was rather dispiriting. So keep some perspective if you can - we will get through this as we have other concerning issues - and make room for a little fun!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

My usual heavy excercise is to take out a mountain bike on a remote route. I have several straight from the door and lots more where I park in a remote layby. Most rides I will see only a handful of people and don't have any need to interact with any of them, so hopefully this can continue. 

As far as my allotment is concerned there are only nine plots, parking is on-site and it's rare to see more than two of us there together. I usually go when six of the plot holders are at work.

My prescription is not for a life-threatening condition, and with a bit of co-operation I built an 8-week buffer in the pre-Brexit period.

Mrs SE has cut out her gym classes and I have stopped using the swimming pool. 

Looks like we could be off the school run for a while, but daughter can work from home most days. 

Hopefully the measures will have the desired effect, but I fear that the NHS has been depleted to such a level that it cannot cope with a spike in demand.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Be careful regarding the delivery. The delivery man will have been to a lot of people before he gets to you. Some may be self isolating because they do have symptoms. Delivery men, as well as the pharmacy team are not immune. It’s like Christamas in pharmacy land as well and there are only so many delivery slots available.

keep well and be sensible.

Regards 

Robert(MRPharms)

Indeed but what's the alternative if you're self-isolating at home? Both medication and groceries are going to have to be delivered. So we just need to take more care. 

Royal Mail have issued an update on deliveries and other carriers are doing the same - see https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Having married a younger woman (an idea I commend wholeheartedly to the House), only I will be confined to barracks, and I'm relieved to note now that I can still go for my daily walk (who's going to be counting how many times a day?).  I intend to carry on as normal with the cycling, but wearing jeans instead of my customary cords.  Mrs S assures me that in jeans, trainers, cycling jacket and baseball hat, I'll easily pass for not a day over 69.

I do an hour of exercises a day anyhow, and now the growing season's getting under way I'll be dragooned into the garden or down the allotment often enough.  Mrs S is currently drawing up a worryingly-long list of chores apparently in need of my attention, starting with the pile of ironing that needs doing, and I have a copious supply of interesting books bought from charity shops but still not read.  And then of course there's the railway.

So boredom doesn't seem likely, and the lack of social contact doesn't bother me in the slightest, so for the time being I'm happy enough with the prospect of avoiding humanity as far as possible for the foreseeable.

I am just so glad this has come when it has.  If we were in the middle of October with the winter to look forward to, that would be a bit depressing ...

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, RFS said:

Indeed but what's the alternative if you're self-isolating at home? Both medication and groceries are going to have to be delivered. So we just need to take more care. 

Royal Mail have issued an update on deliveries and other carriers are doing the same - see https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus

As medication delivery is not an NHS service and is therefore not funded it cannot be ‘demanded’. As I said the delivery man has been in contact with many people and he has to get a signature in all cases. It would be safer for a friend or relative to collect the items. 

Keep safe,

Robert

• Like 1

From an over 70 in the GWN and an ex Pat, are you legally supposed to stay in if you are over 70?  As I read it you are but it is not clear.  Over here Quebec has recommended it but that is all.  There are so many variables in being 70+ that it seems a bit Orwellian to me although it is done for your own good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great idea/need for a thread.

I've been told, by work, to test my VPN connection into the works computers, so that I can work from home if/when that comes along.

My 12 year old son also can't wait to work/play at home!

Kev.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

From an over 70 in the GWN and an ex Pat, are you legally supposed to stay in if you are over 70?  As I read it you are but it is not clear.  Over here Quebec has recommended it but that is all.  There are so many variables in being 70+ that it seems a bit Orwellian to me although it is done for your own good.

More of a very strong suggestion.  If it were a legal requirement it would be unenforceable anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Theakerr said:

As Polybear says it's not backed up by any legal requirement but an appeal to one's best instincts as it's not just for your own good but society at large. Reduced contact reduces the risk of catching the virus but also the risk of passing it on to others. Fewer people catching the virus means less strain on the healthcare services. We may think that we're powerless in the face of a spreading virus but collectively we can have impact.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 6
  • Agree 7

We don't need anyone to tell us what to do, proper information to make the correct decision on our personal situation would help, but if we need any clue as to how that might go, cast your mind to the last referendum......no danger of that ever happening.

My better half has no immune system, so we both have to be cautious without being in panic mode, sensible decisions will be taken and care and due diligence will hopefully keep us away from needing to trouble the already over worked NHS.

• Friendly/supportive 10

Can I join the gang ;)

One of my partners kids was sent home this afternoon with a cough, I've not had any direct contact with him but I was at their house Friday to Monday morning. They are self isolating now for 14 days and I will do the same given the fact I work in a gym with vulnerable people it's the right thing to do.

I got plenty of modelling to get on with and numerous garden jobs I can do so although I don't like it I'm going to make the most of it.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry and I have no alternative to being apart for months. I had expected to travel to be with her next week, but we agreed that I might be kept in the UK for many months while the virus does its thing, and meanwhile Chez Moi would go to pot. Our cruise to celebrate Sherry's 70th has been cancelled anyway. My tumbledown 1850 cottage sits in a rural acre, and there's quite a lot of grass! And I am not short of modelling opportunities. I don't have the skills necessary to own a 'kit mountain' but there are lots of things that warmer weather will permit. In June the 24 hr race takes place at Le Mans, and I can see that being scrubbed this year. Will I get a refund on our seats in the Members' Grandstand? 

Isolation will be tempered by weekly visits by Alison, my Scots cleaner. And I will be required to take my usual role of being her girlfriend, analysing the actions and motives of the French farmer who has been her lover for the last 7 years. At least he's finally left his wife and moved in, but it isn't that simple.... 

But the ace in the hole for all of us is modern comms. Sherry and I text multiple times a day, and generally have at least an hour on a landline call. I hope others of you will settle into regime of regular calls to friends and loved-ones. It can be so uplifting to talk, share and enthuse, reminisce and plan for tomorrow, whenever that is.

So right. I am just off the phone from my cousin. She has probably got it, but can't test. Her older brother is at great risk as he already has COPD. Her sister and diabetic BiL have been repatriated from Lanzarote today. Not a lot of good news! But good to talk with loved ones.

I even sent an e-mail to estranged wife telling her how much I am concerned for her extra work load (she is senior Local Govt) and for her various elderly relatives.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BoD said:

I am considering self isolation as I am in both the top two vulnerable groups as far as mortality rate goes.  I had decided though to continue walking and as I’m a bit of an ant-social git I would avoid human contact while out anyway.

However, Valerie (Mrs BoD) works at one of the big supermarkets on the tills.  She says they have been busier than at Xmas but are not provided with any sanitiser and don’t even have  time to go and wash hands.  I may be peeing against the wind here.

Great thread and  I really like the impressive positive spirit shown by fellow railway modellers.

It seems a number of modellers also like us ( sorry my wife) have allotments, strangely enough my wife gave hers up at the end of last season.

We converted half the garden last autumn into a mini allotment, and as this is a busy time for gardening it’s keeping the good lady wife busy.

More importantly I can get on a building  a small micro layout now there’s no exhibitions to go to or club nights.

No going to the pub, but beer in the cupboard 

Anyway all for now 

Stay positive

Terry  

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

As an 'old giffer at risk' I will be avoiding social contact as much as possible but will be walking quite a bit and had hoped to start getting out on the bike now the weather is (hopefully) improving.  However, I've been thinking that if I had an accident of some sort on the bike then this would probably result in some form of hospitalisation which would not be 'a good thing' and probably detrimental both to me and the NHS.  I will curtail my cycling to spells on the turbo-trainer in the shed and spend the rest of the time pleasing myself - and Mrs 5050 - with modelling, reading, scrabble, cards and watching repeats of Midsomer, Poirot, Endeavour and Minder (plus assorted others).

i have a good stock of kits, plasticard, glues, solvents, solder, flux along with a couple of bottles of decent Scotch and a supply of beers. Oh, and a couple of jars of coffee, sweetener and boxes of tea.

Sorted!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

My wife has an immune deficient disease, I’m diabetic, both in our late 60s. We took the very difficult decision to self isolate last weekend. This means we can’t be with the grandchildren or our son and daughter. I’ve tried to limit my news intake as it just makes me more and more anxious.

My Mrs is holding up remarkably well, better than me in fact. If I didn’t have this great hobby I’m sure I wouldn’t be coping at all.

For those of you who follow these things you may have seen my Bournemouth West thread on here and maybe have seen the layout at a recent show. For the time being all that has gone, the layout is packed away safely. 
So to the garage and a new home layout. The ideas are starting to form!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14