The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

NHS front line - A plea

neal

Well put.

And the stats show that even 60-69yo are pretty vulnerable, if not to the very worst then badly enough to need hospital treatment ....... the way I read the stats about 1:7 in that age bracket that catch it will need need time in hospital.

One of my son’s friends mother is a nurse and she was retrained last week, ready to go into battle, and frankly looked terrified when telling me about it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hello Neal,

Wise words that we would all do well to heed.

I have seen some utterly appalling, selfish behaviour being discussed on the corona virus thread, where some people have stated that unless they are actually unwell, they will continue as normal! Great! 

The thing about this virus is that you can be a carrier for up to seven days and not know it, witness that British couple in I think, Vietnam a week or so ago.

Plus, people need to think about others who may be more vulnerable than themselves even though they may be younger.

I understand that the most vulnerable are those with heart trouble followed by the diabetic and only then by such as COPD sufferers.

I wish you well and hope you do receive treatment before too long.

John.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

I agree,  just had a call from the Asthma nurse that oversees my COPD condition and I've been advised to stay at home for the duration so not really a change there then as I work from home anyway.

Anyway, everyone keep safe and WASH YER HANDS.

Dave Franks

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jf2682 said:

Well Neal, I feel for you, but as it's your life and you have a potentially terminal condition I would have taken a somewhat aggressive line with the surgeon.  He's already increasing your probability of an early death, so what have you get to lose?

JF

I think (if at all possible) I'd be asking for a recommendation towards a Private Hospital....

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, polybear said:

I think (if at all possible) I'd be asking for a recommendation towards a Private Hospital....

They'll be requisitioned before many more days pass !

No part of normal life is going to be unaffected by this crisis.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, neal said:

I have been booked in to get a PSA check in June, should this show a deterioration this may elevate my priority, but for the time being cancer surgery is to be focussed upon immediate life saving. I accept that, and hope that things will be better soon. 

It is hard to argue with a surgeon when you are both in tears.

N

And you deserve admiration and support from all on here for not doing so Neil. We are sailing in uncharted waters.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold

It worries me that there is a large number of people out there that just don't seem to realize that a huge storm is coming with all that that implies.

I am over 70 and have some 'underlying' health issues which could put me at risk so I started self-isolation three days ago. I suppose that the consequences of all this haven't really dawned on me yet. Not being able to have close contact with my 18 month old granddaughter will be hard to bear. 

A very uncertain world is upon us.

KBO everybody and keep well.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

11 minutes ago, polybear said:

We will see how the next few months go, and look at that if it is an option.

My post was not meant to highlight my condition, moreover to stress the importance of distance/isolation and highlight that the NHS will be massively strained in coming months.  

Neal

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Neal,

All the very best - I can only add my great respect for your approach.

I suggest that perhaps you should see your GP and get a PSA blood test every month rather than wait until June. They are not too expensive if you are asked to pay, hopefully the Phlebotomy Lab will be able to cope. That way you can perhaps be assured that either the PSA level is static or you are able to trigger a case review as soon as possible.

I have been in your situation although in better times.

I have two daughters who are senior sisters in the NHS, one is managing Infection Control at a largish Trust and I can confirm that many people are behaving in an Irrational and totally selfish way to the extent that my daughters team require protection from hospital security. Another British Myth goes up in smoke!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Friendly/supportive 13

My wife had a minor orthopaedic operation on her hand, just 2 days ago on Monday.

This was at a very large main hospital on the south coast.

She had a call on Friday afternoon to confirm that it was definitely going ahead......and told it would be just in time, before the situation deteriorated.

On Monday she reported at 0700, not knowing where she was on the list.

She waited 8 hours as they were doing more complicated ops under general anaesthetic first.

She was having hers under a local anaesthetic.

After a very long wait and as the afternoon wore on, she worried that they would call off the later operations, knowing that the department would be immanently stopping all non emergency work.

The nurses said that they were expecting everything to be turned on its head.

Thankfully, my wife had the operation just after 3pm.

They did one more op after her (the last one for that day) and the unit was closed for normal business.

The orthopaedic theatres and the staff were being prepared for the expected inrush of virus victims.

Good luck and best wishes Neal.

It could be any one of us, or one of our loved ones, that is in a similar position to you.

I don't know you, but I hope your outcome is a positive one.

Cheers

Ron

• Friendly/supportive 14

@AY Mod Is there a way in which the original post on this thread can be pinned, please, so that those who refuse to social distance themselves can at least be confronted with the consequences of their actions. Hopefully, it might give pause for thought. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Have you not learnt anything in the last few days.

Sadly, no he has not.

But the big problem is that so many others have not either. The Govt's message is not getting through despite the 24/7 news coverage. I don't know if these people are too stupid to understand, too cynical about Govt to believe them, or something else.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

I am depressed that some of the worst behaviour is being indulged in by people of my generation (I'm 68), the sort who are first in line to complain about selfish and anti social activity among younger folks. Just back from a trip to my local Aldi; able to get everything I needed but there was no toilet paper, very little fresh bread, and no fresh meat, and a prevailing 'me first' attitude.  I'll give it to the end of the week before the Black Market gets under way.

My nearest corner shop has plenty of toilet paper by the way, but I'm not telling you where it is...

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2020 at 15:53, polybear said:

I would not bother now... the private sector has just agreed to give over almost the entire sector to the NHS for COVID 19 patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51989183

I work in a hospital and there is a LOT more preparation and concern over COVID 19 than over the last few viral outbreaks such as Swine Flu - I hope I don't get infected and pass it on to my Dad before I develop symptoms but washing your hands and keeping them away from your face is the single most effective step to avoid catching that (apart from not getting sneezed or coughed on)

Edited by Welly
typo
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6