The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

All the useless things you have learned whilst in COVID isolation

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2020 at 12:26, Phil Bullock said:

3rd useless thing I have learnt....

Maltesers plainly have some higher purpose in the scheme of things!

For two weeks when this started the shelves were completely devoid. SWMBO was not happy..... until a couple of weeks ago they re-appeared.

And now you can get as much pasta, bog roll etc as you want but guess what? No Maltesers again......

Useless thing no 4. Presumably as a result of the aforementioned Malteser crisis the number of maltesers in a bag of Revels has reduced significantly.

Result!

I was distinctly annoyed when Maltesers were used to bulk out packs of Revels. If I wanted Maltesers I would buy a bag.

So SWMBO now refuses to play malteser roulette with my Revels - the chances of getting a coffee one have increased significantly.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have learned in lockdown.

Patience - especially to deal with those that now have far too much time on their hands to ring "customer support".

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Nick C said:

I've learned that "Can you just reboot your PC for updates" takes on a whole new meaning when the PC in question is several miles away in a closed office, and decided it's not gonig to come back from the reboot...

Occasionally the office where my computers are has power cuts (it's a new building and the builders are still working, fitting out other floors). I can wake up one over the network, the other I have to get someone from building security to go and poke the power button.

At least we're not working for NASA and having to worry about whether we can reboot something on Mars.

• RMweb Gold

To pass time on whilst ensconced in your wonderful country, I have raided the internet for some tools and wagon kits to attempt to keep what little bit of sanity I have remaining.

One eBay purchase was an unfinished project with a couple of Parkside conflats which came with ABS Moreton underframe gubbins, and whilst they may be a bit on the heavy side as they are whitemetal castings, nothing that a bit of filing can't cure, they do show how crap the Parkside underframes are.

If anyone has any ABS underframes they don't want, you know where to find me! ( Unless they are still available from somewhere?)

Mike.

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

they do show how crap the Parkside underframes are.

Has any plastic kit manufacturer (at least in 4mm scale) produced a convincing wagon underframe? All my kits, whether from Parkside, Slater's or Ratio have had various bits of underframe replaced by bits from Bill Bedford, Wizard, Ambis, MJT, etc.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sharris said:

Occasionally the office where my computers are has power cuts (it's a new building and the builders are still working, fitting out other floors). I can wake up one over the network, the other I have to get someone from building security to go and poke the power button.

At least we're not working for NASA and having to worry about whether we can reboot something on Mars.

Or that our cats may take over the spacecraft (a worry according to a NASA astrophysicist working from home)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sharris said:

Has any plastic kit manufacturer (at least in 4mm scale) produced a convincing wagon underframe? All my kits, whether from Parkside, Slater's or Ratio have had various bits of underframe replaced by bits from Bill Bedford, Wizard, Ambis, MJT, etc.

The best of a reasonably bad bunch were the late lamented Chivers IMHO, well detailed and made from a half decent quality of plastic, although I always replace buffers as plastic ones don't seem to have a very long future in my hands!

Mike

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The best of a reasonably bad bunch were the late lamented Chivers IMHO, well detailed and made from a half decent quality of plastic, although I always replace buffers as plastic ones don't seem to have a very long future in my hands!

Mike

And some nice whitemetal ones from Lanarkshire add a bit more weight.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

I now know the names of the Bank of England Chief Cashiers since 1955 in order ……......… can't wait to flash that in a pub quiz sometime …………… :D

Hi Folks,

The signature upon a debt instrument (bank note) indicates that it is created by a private entity, in other words the currency does not belong to you it is merely held by way of a purchase agreement.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

I now know the names of the Bank of England Chief Cashiers since 1955 in order ……......… can't wait to flash that in a pub quiz sometime …………… :D

Assuming of course the pubs will actually still be in business by the time this all ends......;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The signature upon a debt instrument (bank note) indicates that it is created by a private entity, in other words the currency does not belong to you it is merely held by way of a purchase agreement.

Gibbo.

That is even more useless information than knowing all the names of the Bank of England Chief Cashiers since 1955....

...in order!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

That is even more useless information than knowing all the names of the Bank of England Chief Cashiers since 1955....

...in order!!!

Hi There,

Not at all useless information !

Do tell me, how many dollar denominated debt instruments for a either a Barrel of Oil or 1ozt of Gold currently ?

Very important under the current system as it still stands.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2020 at 21:54, TheSignalEngineer said:

I have learned that putting all tools away in their allotted spaces after use does not make them easier to find next time they are required.

Why have I just found a roll of Gaffer Tape in the bookcase on the landing? Couldn't find it anywhere yesterday afternoon, although I used it in the garden in the morning.

Hi Folks,

I have noted the word Apocalypse in rather too many newspaper headlines recently so I thought that I would look into the meaning of the word.

It apparently comes from two Greek words the first is ἀπό [apo] which means off and is used as the prefix un as used in English, and the second is the verb καλύπτειν [kaluptein] which means to cover, in the form of ἀποκαλύπτειν [apokalyptein] it means to uncover.

The word arrived into English via the Latin apocalypsis which also means to uncover.

Even the Modern Greek word αποκαλύπτω [apokalyto] translates to the English uncover.

If this is what the word actually means then I should like to know is what has been covered up ?

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 hours ago, newbryford said:

I have learned that lots of people are also learning lots of other useless things.........................

I have learned that information is only useless if it not suitably applied within any set context.

• Agree 1