The run-up to the Virtual Members' Day

• RMweb Premium

This year Mark was invited down to Members Day to show his work in progress layout "Manifold Valley Minerals". After some significant arm twisting I agreed o help out...

With the plan still to get a longer day on the WSR, Mark (didn't) arrive this morning at Spam Towers at the crack of dawn (no sniggering at the back). The layout just about filled his car (not) and it was a struggle finding room for my overnight bag and supply of paracetamol.

Our journey (not) to SWAGonia started on the M42 and if wasn't (not) long before we joined the M5. After a short time Andy Y was (not)spotted in the outside lane (not) scorching a path down south. His rapid progress was (not) halted by a sudden stop at Gloucester Services for some "fresh air".

So (not) around 9am we arrived at  Bishop's Lydeard, just in time (not) to have a cuppa and find a seat on the train (not) waiting to leave. 

Hopefully we'll (not) see many of you on our travels today...

IMAG7615.jpg.5542e90c439805f3fcaeef3b41802711.jpg

Looks like a nice day ahead...

IMAG7620.jpg.50d6f27ad9120c2dddf1869625030f2c.jpg

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

Three years ago our trip to Zummerzet coincided with the gala weekend on the West Somerset. My highlight was the double-headed 4Fs.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As luck would have it I was on Facebook this morning and the Hornby page had a reminder about this event. My next notification was an advertisement for this wonderful shirt. Wardrobe for tomorrow sorted

27be79b8_b979_470a_974f_cf92851c0f51-1585793514951_900x.jpg.3d116001232fada0137f6fad79860fff.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• Moderators

The year before that wasn't a gala which meant a nice quiet trip with some glorious spring sunshine on the climb up from Williton to Crowcombe.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I'm aiming to finish this video at some point today explaining how (not) to exhibit at SWAG. Worringly, I can't really find a shirt quite garish enough, so I've gone for one that I don't think I've ever worn!
I'd better not get too carried away though; I am still yet to film the layout... (not) going to an event is turning out to be surprisingly fun, albeit perhaps with more work involved!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

This time last year, I was contemplating the short trip down to the village deli to collect some pasties and chicken & ham pies.

Hmmm.

Get your skates on CK, need to collect this year's for tomorrow.

h

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I've gone for one that I don't think I've ever worn!

Something from the 'I don't think I'll wear that today" back of the wardrobe section sounds just right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 2ManySpams said:

Get your skates on CK, need to collect this year's for tomorrow.

h

Well perhaps I will and perhaps I won't.

I might do that and I might decide to have a quiet day in at home.

It does get very difficult to keep social distance from all the oddball characters you find on Robin's station, you know, they do tend to congregate around the pasty shop when Robin's not got his camera out. I know we all compliment Robin on his lovely layout and rightly so, but there are times when it's just no fun to live so close to all these rather stiff characters, who like to get up close and personal and tell you all about their latest media appearances.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

rather stiff characters, who like to get up close and personal and tell you all about their latest media appearances.

I will most certainly not be telling you about my media appearance 39 years ago with several famous names of the day in case anyone goes looking for it. I think I am quite safe as the BBC will have probably recorded over the tapes with Percy Thrower potting something; anyway, no-one would recognise me. :biggrin_mini2:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

I will most certainly not be telling you about my media appearance 39 years ago with several famous names of the day in case anyone goes looking for it. I think I am quite safe as the BBC will have probably recorded over the tapes with Percy Thrower potting something; anyway, no-one would recognise me. :biggrin_mini2:

Sounds like you may well decide not to confirm nor deny anything further about this interesting occurence.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It does get very difficult to keep social distance from all the oddball characters you find on Robin's station, you know, they do tend to congregate around the pasty shop when Robin's not got his camera out. I know we all compliment Robin on his lovely layout and rightly so, but there are times when it's just no fun to live so close to all these rather stiff characters, who like to get up close and personal and tell you all about their latest media appearances.

That's no way to talk about @AY Mod

747265421_DSCN6444(2).JPG.b126d6ebcaea84d052ee45557ca84a97.JPG

• Like 5
  • Funny 6