Markits - customer experiences

97xx

On 28/05/2020 at 22:01, cctransuk said:

I was point-blank declared 'persona non grata'; ie. he will no longer speak to me at all.

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

IYHO, not mine!

Yes, you've made that quite clear...

This thread has rumbled on at a low level for years. There's nothing new here and largely speaking it is the same few posters grumbling along...

Paul A. 

9 hours ago, rope runner said:

Yes, you've made that quite clear...

This thread has rumbled on at a low level for years. There's nothing new here and largely speaking it is the same few posters grumbling along...

Paul A. 

My reading of recent posts is almost exclusively positive towards Markits - which is fine as a reflection of personal experience.

CJI.

• Like 2

Many years ago I phoned Markits and caught Mark in expansive mood.  We had a very long and friendly chat (he didn't know me from Adam) and I was told several anecdotes about his work with mainstream manufacturers in terms of supplying dossiers of prototype information to assist the accuracy of a couple of their planned new models.  What he revealed became fact in due course but, of course, as far as I am aware, he received no public thanks from the manufacturers concerned (red and blue boxes).  Possibly he was recompensed as a consultant - I hope so - but we can probably credit Mark with contributing significantly to the improvements in the standard and fidelity of some introductions in recent years.

Personally, I think the guy's a one-man marvel, given the size of the Markits catalogue.  If he decides one day to hang up the "closed" sign on the Markits door, I just hope that those who've brushed against his rougher side will drop him a PM to thank him for the work he's done over the years to make our hobby more satisfying and our models more accurate.

I have no more commendation than to declare myself "a satisfied (if occasionally frustrated) customer".

Stan

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

If you don't get the service that you think you should, then take your money else where.

I have.

I build on average 4-5 locomotives a year and used Markits wheels and fittings. But after to many orders not being fulfilled properly and having to send product back (at my cost) I gave up. He's a nice enough chap to speak to on the phone, but receiving the wrong goods time and again just isn't good enough.

I last ordered from Markits 2-3 years ago and looking at my notes I spent just over £500 in 12 months on 4 orders, not a small sum for any trader.

I now use Colin at Alan Gibson and am very happy with the product.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I said earlier in this (or one of the other) threads that the two orders I had made both came back wrong and didn't match the agreed pricing. This was a few years ago now.

There are some bits that nobody stocks (even when they can get them, retailers seem to have constant difficulty) so I have filled in an order form and sent it with payment details. Totally against payment card industry rules!

Fingers crossed :)

32 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I think I said earlier in this (or one of the other) threads that the two orders I had made both came back wrong and didn't match the agreed pricing. This was a few years ago now.

There are some bits that nobody stocks (even when they can get them, retailers seem to have constant difficulty) so I have filled in an order form and sent it with payment details. Totally against payment card industry rules!

Is there a current price list in existence ?.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

I think you are quite safe as there have been no reports of trouble, better than getting a postal order that's if they still exist

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Possibly, but the prices I was told in (?) 2017 didn't match the 2013 catalogue so who knows :)

On my invoice it says the 7% increase in March '22 is on the 2015 prices. However, how do they compare to the 2013 list ?

EDIT*

Looking at the prices, mine are about 29% higher than those in the 2013 list.

On the reverse of the invoice is the Jan 22 "Recent Products" which includes the keyed outside crank system, which needs a miniature axle screwdriver and a 1mm allen key to assemble.

But the outside cranks supplied, say they need a miniature screwdriver and a 14BA nut spinner to assemble!

* the Aberdare wheels set I bought is £63.95 in the 2013 price list, I was charged £82.41, both include VAT.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

This is looking promising - I've had an invoice through for approval, so pretty quick to this stage.

As an idea of price increase on the 2013 catalogue - BR625xx D16/3 (so complete wheelset for ex GER D16/3) was £52.53, now (10 years later) £67.83

I think that's a little over 25%? Pretty much bang on what the Bank Of England inflation calculator suggests it would be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok - credit where credit is thoroughly due - 

Order has arrived, all correct. Interestingly (and I didn't spot it on the invoice) - the wheels are all nickel silver tyred well after a year since it was announced he would be changing to stainless steel for cost reasons. All the wheels I've had from Wizard have been stainless for quite a while.

So, it was worth me plucking up the courage to try again.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Interestingly (and I didn't spot it on the invoice) - the wheels are all nickel silver tyred well after a year since it was announced he would be changing to stainless steel for cost reasons. All the wheels I've had from Wizard have been stainless for quite a while.

The ones I had a few weeks ago are N/S for one loco (7 axles) and S/S for the other (3 axles), as per invoice.

Gibson wheels are steel and have been for ages.

I don't know what grade of N/S Markits uses but they are less yellow than some Romford wheels.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Markits switched to stainless steel due to the massive price increase and poor availability of nickel silver. 

Their driving wheels are very good, with improved fixing/quartering, and probably cheaper than if they had stayed with N/S. 

Only thing is you can't chemically blacken the stainless.  Unless anyone knows otherwise???

• RMweb Premium
On 01/03/2023 at 08:02, micklner said:

Also what is the best method on painting the wheel rims , without the paint  falling/chipping  off after a week please ?

A real problem Mick. I usually use fine wet and dry paper on the wheel rims to help the paint key. It helps but is not a complete solution. I forgot to do this on my current DJH B16/1 build!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1