Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Bon Noêl to you all from a quiet and dark Charente this Christmas morning.  We rolled in about 11.15 after a lovely meal with a French neighbour.  The streetlights had gone out so we had a lovely dark and starlit sky. Orion was very clearly visible and our rute home folloeed part of the milky way..  the moonnwas quite low innthe north east almost obscured by sone low cloud.

Hope that everyone finds the presents that they want under the tree.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Merry Christmas all! Not sure I have ever, in 73 years, been up and dressed at 06.30 on Christmas morning before. But we look set to be on our way from Torquay to Crewe by 8, so may be there for lunch. 

I hope your day goes well and good times are had by all.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

IO SATURNALIA!

was the traditional greeting for the Roman festival of Saturnalia (adopted and adapted into many festivals and cultures since Roman times).

A celebration of the winter solstice and the turn of the year, this Christmas season like festival is one that appeals to me much more than the commercial and tacky event that Christmas has become.

So let us celebrate Saturnalia: when masters become slaves and slaves become masters, when everyone is free to be their true self- without the shackles of convention, where the King of Saturnalia presides over joyous misrule and everyone rejoices, exchanges presents and petition the gods for a happy and prosperous New Year.

Beatus Saturnalia, unus est, et omnes

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

What I heard was that he adjusted the printed timetables to reflect how the trains were actually running.

I heard he got his train to run on time.

The rest? 

Meh!

Andy

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

24 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

IO SATURNALIA!

was the traditional greeting for the Roman festival of Saturnalia (adopted and adapted into many festivals and cultures since Roman times).

A celebration of the winter solstice and the turn of the year, this Christmas season like festival is one that appeals to me much more than the commercial and tacky event that Christmas has become.

So let us celebrate Saturnalia: when masters become slaves and slaves become masters, when everyone is free to be their true self- without the shackles of convention, where the King of Saturnalia presides over joyous misrule and everyone rejoices, exchanges presents and petition the gods for a happy and prosperous New Year.

Beatus Saturnalia, unus est, et omnes

ipsi mihi inimicissimus sum

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

A happy Christmas to all our readers from a seasonally grey and windy North Hipposhire (but at least the wind isn't effluvia from the Muddy Hollow). Just about to prepare a lateish breakfast for the mob.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Well this is a late start for me. 

Earlier posting was a brief aberration in the sleep time continuum

I am now better refreshed after more sleep

Not much planned today.

Quick half at the pub ( new experience for us) with a couple of family members whilst lunch is cooking.

Simple lunch  and then just relaxing. May crack out the cheese and port later. 

For us the main event was yesterday, which leaves an unhurried, stress, free day, that, on past experience seems to last forever. 

Hope you all have a similar relaxing and enjoyable day today whatever you may be doing. 

Hopefully, unlike last night I won't end up looking like a Bond villain again, being sat under cat, at some stoopid hour.

Andy

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The scented candle has been lit in the sitting room.

A bit of a disappointment, as I'd requested Limpopo River Mud Bank as my preference.

However, Frankincense and Myrrh seems to have won the day.

Yesterday evening I was treated to a guided tour of my son's LR Discovery 4.

I might have seemed a bit disinterested with all the various features, and only really took an interest when I was shown the boot space.

I will concede that the acceleration, with just shy of 300bhp at your boot's disposal, is quite respectable.  The proper roof ladder to get topside makes loading the roof rack a breeze.

Walking away from it is the only time I've ever thought 'I'll have to extend the layout to fit into there!'

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The proper roof ladder to get topside makes loading the roof rack a breeze.

Aditi recalls the look of horror on some of her students faces when as their field trip minibus was being loaded that they realised their nice luggage was going on the roof. They had been warned. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Pocket mags have just given me a Christmas present...

A free magazine.

Perhaps a Military modelling/Model Ship builder/Railway Modeller etc?

No, the best I could manage was  Dolls House and Miniature Scene.

I really didn't want Hello, Good Housekeeping or Readers Digest.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A free magazine.

I got the same offer. I am not sure if I had the same selection though. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

So it's all about ground signals then?

Should be useful for Aberwotsit.

Dave

Too true!

After much discussion and messaging between Brian (br2975) and myself over various track planning issues, due to space, and with more than a nod towards an even more prototypically based plan, the latest incarnation of Aberflyarff (Low Level) now has more independent ground discs than it has semaphore signals.

TNM will no doubt find much amusement after I've finished pushing paper templates around and come up with yet another presentable plan.

Lunch has been consumed and we are now festering in a euphoric haze having opened the huge pile of presents that were awaiting our attention.

Sadly I managed to spill the whisky gift from Morgan and Charlotte all over my trousers and the floor.

Mortification did not follow, as fortunately, it was a jigsaw disguised in a high end container.

I'm not sure I'm so appreciative of the book Model Railways on a Budget,  which was written by Cyril Freezer back in the latter years of the 20th Century.

The techniques and illustrations have not weathered the years well. 

Of course, I am in the lucky situation that any budgetary constraints are somewhat self imposed.

When it comes to model railways, Scrooge is not my middle name:lol:

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I had the misfortune to flick through a copy of Hello magazine whilst Swmbo was in hospital if it wasn't a glossy all itvwoukd be good for is wiping my ar$€. It was full of so called celebrities that you had never heard of in fact the only ones I had heard of were Royals and no not Jim and his clan ill  stick to this years Viz annual thank you

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A free magazine.

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I got the same offer. I am not sure if I had the same selection though. 

I have three magazines on subscription from Kelsey Publishing. One of the magazines came with a complimentary magazine from their portfolio. It was one of the other titles I subscribe to. There was no choice in the matter but I know someone who will enjoy the magazine.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I once bought a subscription to Good Homes for the Mrs for Xmas it cost me a bl00dy fortune the subscription itself was cheap but the ideas she got from it never ever again

She probably says the same about the ideas you get for the railway:

The subscription was cheap but..........

• Agree 7
  • Funny 2