Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

We used to say you only worried if the Defender wasn't dripping oil as it meant there wasn't any left, then you worried

I suspect the only drip from the new Defender will be condensate from the aircon. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, petethemole said:

For bus fans, an ex-LT bus, RT32 of the prewar order, built 1940-42, at Stewartby in 1964.

RT32

The bus behind is an RT with a none standard Cravens body

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

My dad was luckier, the troopship he was on was diverted to Calcutta (as it was called then). The troopship ahead of his sailed into Singapore after it had fallen.

I’m very surprised that troopship wasn’t diverted.

My father-in-law was an RN signaller. Navy signallers could be put on merchant ships, so that everybody would be using the same codes and language. He was on one of the last ships to evacuate people from Singapore, first stop Fremantle.

Edited by pH
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Well, that's Mrs Rodent & Mini Rodent's presents wrapped. The Rodent is legendarily bad at wrapping. For some people, it just comes naturally, for me it's like extracting my own tooth. Wrapping paper seems to be docile in some people's hands-in mine it develops a life and attitude of it's own. I don't actually mind wrapping, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if I was actually any good at it.

The Rodents are volunteering at parkrun in the morning, as the forecast is wet, I think it'll be waterproofs all round.

Anyway, beer o'clock now. Then maybe brandy o'clock, & rum o'clock a little later....

Merry Xmas all!

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, pH said:

I’m very surprised that troopship wasn’t diverted.

My father-in-law was an RN signaller. Navy signallers could be put on merchant ships, so that everybody would be using the same codes and language. He was on one of the last ships to evacuate people from Singapore, first stop Fremantle.

My understanding was it didn't receive the message due to a faulty radio. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 23/12/2021 at 21:06, pH said:

Today's quiz - what is this? It's in a residential neighbourhood.

IMG_0790.jpeg.12172f3634ab73b1812e25e1376492af.jpeg

On 24/12/2021 at 09:51, J. S. Bach said:

It looks like an electrical substation cleverly disguised as a residence. It just might be a traction power sub, at that.

That’s the closest guess - I presume you noticed the large electrical feed.

It’s actually the building over the ventilation fans for the Thornton Tunnel in Burnaby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornton_Tunnel

The tunnel was bored under existing residential neighbourhoods for its whole length.

Edited by pH
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

As my duties tomorrow will be domestic in nature and numerous I will take this opportunity to wish all Night Mailers a very happy Christmas.  While I await orders my thoughts are turning towards a small depiction of a railway scene.  When tidying the other day I came across a Langley kit of the GWR twin railcar and a chassis to suit.  Whisper it quietly lest I am drummed out of the East Coast Appreciation Society, but the final solution may involve Panniers!

Happy Christmas

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I watched the Repair Shop this evening and they were restoring a Hornby-Dublo 3-rail trainset. I missed part of it where they re-magnetized the motor but the didn't seem to realise that the leading pony truck on the 2-6 -4T locomotive was missing making it an 0-6-4T.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

25 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

For those who aren't good, what will Satan leave in our stockings ? Asking for a friend. :unsure:

An eternal membership of Trump International Golf Links Aberdeen. Guess who will be the caddie.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

Well we got back from midnight Mass just after 1, and were followed into the house by the neighbour's  cat. 

We are now waiting up till it gets  bored and wants to go home. :wacko:

Even weirder it has a penchant for chewing plastic bags :dontknow:

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Wasn't he supposed to have got the trains to run on time.

Jamie

What I heard was that he adjusted the printed timetables to reflect how the trains were actually running.

• Informative/Useful 7

My daughter called in with No 1 Grandson and her partner, who my good wife fusses over although I find it hard to warm to him. Good time had by all  followed by carols from Westminster Abbey on tv. 

Evening tv then deteriorated into a brief visit to the miserable so-and-sos of Walford and one of the innumerable re-re-makes of All Creatures, so I  just retreated to the study with the remnants of lunch and a large glass of wine...

Merry Xmas all. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The new water heated water tank thingy was acquired today despite the fact that the town seemed determined to recreate a scene from Bedford Falls.

An assortment of comestibles and refreshments were also obtained. These will be helpful as we set up the "singing machine". Keep an eye on your Utub feed.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1