Advertising

• RMweb Premium

A few days ago I started getting ads on my android tablt just like those shown by durham light infanttry a few posts ago. Prior to that I had been getting ads but they were tolerable. I have now therefore installed an Android app called Full Adshield and it has effectively removed all RMWeb ads. Having said that I shall still be happy to stump up my £12 or so as soon as Andy announces that the new adfree membership is available.

DT

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Having a look this morning on my iPad, the website feels better, there’s no ad appearing as you try to log on, and the page looks clean, with no ad banners across the top and bottom, there’s just this video running on the lower RH side called Connectix, which is a pain in the a..., so you guys are succeeding so far, who do I pay the cheque to?

i thought I’d try one of these web blocker thingys, they’re all labelled “FREE” but when you get on to the site, they want you to open a subscription, but nowhere does it say how much and how often, even in PayPal they just want unlimited access to your account, so I didn’t go there, it just has the makings of a bloody big scam.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It'll be RMweb Plum* when we launch it.

*Not a real product, just a project code-name.

But now you know what everyone will call it and you won't get anyone to STOP!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Appreciate the efforts Andy regarding the tablet adverts and for posting the general apology banner. Hope that you are successful with the tech people.

In the meantime I've found that I can access RM Web  with just an odd (acceptable) advert via my phone, although I prefer to view the images on my larger tablet screen.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, johnd said:

Well I am still getting pestered with unwanted adverts.

And it's not so much they are unwanted, but are large and cover and overlap forum content. Plus many don't have a 'X' to select to close them. It's very frustrating.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 07/12/2021 at 13:16, Legend said:

iPad here Andy. Only getting the video on right 

Hi

Depends if you get Safari to request the desktop or mobile version of the site.

Mobile version intrusive banner at the top which you can't close plus advert at the bottom

Desktop version just the video.

Above is on an iPad Mini running IOS15.1

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, 43110andyb said:

Apologies if this is old/known about info

Thanks Andy, all old and known (sadly) but have you only just started to see that this week?

• Like 2

On 07/12/2021 at 11:33, Mikkel said:

I'm puzzled, could you elaborate? We're all co-creators here, but Andy set up RMweb from day one and made the whole thing happen. 

I was lead to believe that Andy came on the scene when RMweb took over.

If this is the case, then I apologise you you all.

Dave.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to log on through my Samsung Android tablet only because the top advert banner was slow to load and is located to allow you to sign in, so improvements are happening!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I too thought there had been some improvement in that the white band that creeps down from the top and obscures options had gone this afternoon. But it was a false dawn. This evening it's back with a vengeance. And the adverts/videos are as frustrating as ever and cover much of each page content.

Edited by grahame
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, can't log on on my tablet. A top advert band covers the sign 8n  a one just below that covers the top of the forum, then one across the bottom cleans out the bottom of the page added to the video  means..back on the phone. Whoever is doing it has zero understanding of the damage they are causing..and are rechnically inept...

Disgruntled Baz

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Having gone through most of this thread, I have a new problem for me. I have to use the left side to scroll down and lingered on a id too long, so went to that person's stats. Clicked back, and got the video running constantly without a means to close it.

Any, having followed this site for years, a big thank for your time and effort. I understand the money go round adds represent. Myself I am waiting for the rmweb only subscription to appear.

The problem I have with adds is they say it keeps sites like this free. But when Google make millions from advertising, they are not paying for my bandwidth they are using.  And remember the bit from ready player one where the big executive in the suit proudly states they can goto 70% of the view being adverts. Just change the name of the company in the film to Google (other companies are available).

The above comments are not directed to Andy or others who are responsible for keeping this site going, more the big companies using the internet to make bigger profits.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Also to add that du to the top and bottom adds when using my tablet with the on screen keyboard I can be reduced to only seeing two lines of text. Highlighting or correcting anything automatically jump to the bottom of the reply screen, so you cannot actually see what you are doing. And trying to scroll without touching the vaillant boiler upgrade when your screen is less that a quarter due to these keypad?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

The problem I have with adds is they say it keeps sites like this free. But when Google make millions from advertising, they are not paying for my bandwidth they are using.  And remember the bit from ready player one where the big executive in the suit proudly states they can goto 70% of the view being adverts. Just change the name of the company in the film to Google (other companies are available).

The above comments are not directed to Andy or others who are responsible for keeping this site going, more the big companies using the internet to make bigger profits.

Yep. They say Henry 1st died from a surfeit of lampreys. Let's hope that RMweb doesn't die from a surfeit of adverts, suffocated under them and from corporate profit greed. The world does seem bent on squeezing everything and monetising it. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I am happy to say that my phone gets the odd advert but they all have an X so can be removed quickly. Sadly my computer's screen is infested by adverts, most of which are for things I have purchased online in the past 14 days and are hard to remove or once removed reappear everytime you move to a new page! Simple solution for me is to only use RMweb on my phone which is what I am doing now.

I fully understand why adverts are needed and feel for @AY Mod who seems to be banging his head on a brick wall with the technical people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

When the ads started to become really intrusive several weeks ago I fiddled with the settings in Windows 10 or Microsoft Edge or something (I'm an I.T. illiterate) and have managed to make them all go away, every last one.

This of course is great, but it has made me think that an excess of ads is actually counter-productive for RMWeb - I had no problem with the ads on the right hand side, I could quietly ignore them, but having them spread all over the place made the situation intolerable. I therefore see no ads when I used to see a reasonable number, and I do understand they are there to fund something that I get for free!

The advertisers must also understand however that it is user content that draws their potential customers to the site and therefore to their adverts - it's a classic symbiotic relationship and needs to remain in balance for it to work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, grahame said:

corporate profit greed.

Possibly a little harsh? We've been told that RMweb needs to pay it's way within Warners, fair enough, but it's the way they are going about it that is causing all the problems.

It does make me wonder though if the Powers That Be at Warners really understood what they were taking on with the Forum, or did they just see the large membership number as a marketing opportunity for the magazine, failing to appreciate that BRM, by it's very name, does not cater for the interests of absolutely all of us on here, which is why we don't subscribe, or buy it very often, or at all?

(Apologies to Phil Parker who has posted before about the amount of people who post to say they don't buy BRM. I do sometimes, but not regularly)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barclay said:

The advertisers must also understand however that it is user content that draws their potential customers to the site and therefore to their adverts - it's a classic symbiotic relationship and needs to remain in balance for it to work. 

Also it can be self defeating. If users give up or install ad blockers the ads won't be seen anyway. 

• Agree 6