HELJAN OO GAUGE CLASS 33s RETURN FOR 2021

AY Mod

5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Looking pretty good. Two comments though:

The blue for the DRS loco still looks wrong - perhaps to ensure it matches the others;

I thought Fragonset 33021 Eastleigh had a crest above the nameplate - I have it in my head that all the named Fragonset locos had crests.

Roy

Yes you're right. As long as the Eastleigh plates are not bigger than the Shawplan etches I won't mind if the crest is missing!

Likely be 33025 in Dutch for me to pair with 33116.

I'm hoping though the weathering is toned down a bit and the marks where the plaques were is adjusted. Looking at pictures, the paintwork is more faded and grimy rather than coated in brake dust.

The marks where the plates used to be aren't quite right. For the period it's being done as was when it went to Scotland in late 1999 through to 2000, the marks look to have been painted over to get rid of the rust patches. Certainly the depot plaque marks are barely noticeable apart from 4 rusty holes.

33025 - Aberdeen Guild Street

Aberdeen in April 2000

33025 3 140698

Eastleigh in June 1998 after withdrawal. (Neither picture is mine)

I'd probably still go for it if it's released as is, but try and sort the weathering out.

Andy.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

A pity they still havnt addressed the Bodyside radiator grille, although it probably stands proud of the bodyside because the framing is plastic, and if made too thin itll be brittle and be too delicate

NL

can't help feeling that Heljan tried to fix a problem that was not there - one of the earlier iterations had a very acceptable grill that a very few people objected to.

Roy

• Agree 3

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Call me cynical, and it's great news that Heljan are doing a re-run of the class 33s for 2021. It just seems that the one everyone wants to go with there 4TC sets from Kernow is more exspensive than the rest of the range. That's the post Tops, BR Blue with Yellow ends, no orange 'cant' rail or white window surrounds.

Or is it just me.  

3 hours ago, pushpull33 said:

Call me cynical, and it's great news that Heljan are doing a re-run of the class 33s for 2021. It just seems that the one everyone wants to go with there 4TC sets from Kernow is more exspensive than the rest of the range. That's the post Tops, BR Blue with Yellow ends, no orange 'cant' rail or white window surrounds.

Or is it just me.  

It's weathered, that's why it's more expensive. 

• 1 month later...

Can anyone pin a timeframe on 33023 with a headlight in this livery. I can find post preservation photos at Barrow Hill with an ugly black headlight, but very clean livery. I have also found photos in this livery in work-stained condition before headlight fitting at Stewarts Lane. I know it was withdrawn in this livery in 1997. Did it ever run in BR service in such heavily weathered condition with a headlight, or is this model a strange mix of pre-withdrawal livery and condition with post preservation headlight?

Thanks

David

8 hours ago, David41283 said:

Can anyone pin a timeframe on 33023 with a headlight in this livery. I can find post preservation photos at Barrow Hill with an ugly black headlight, but very clean livery. I have also found photos in this livery in work-stained condition before headlight fitting at Stewarts Lane. I know it was withdrawn in this livery in 1997. Did it ever run in BR service in such heavily weathered condition with a headlight, or is this model a strange mix of pre-withdrawal livery and condition with post preservation headlight?

Thanks

David

answered my own question! If the dates on Flickr are accurate the headlight was fitted sometime between late 1992 and early 1993. It also sported mini snowploughs during this period. It remained in this condition until withdrawal in 1997, so the model is probably accurate for late 1992 to 1997.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve recently purchased 3465, the WCRC 33025 and surprised to find that it’s still only got a 8 pin DCC socket.  Is it easy to fit a sound chip and speaker as I’ve never owned a Heljan Class 33 before.

On 02/03/2022 at 21:29, jools1959 said:

I’ve recently purchased 3465, the WCRC 33025 and surprised to find that it’s still only got a 8 pin DCC socket.  Is it easy to fit a sound chip and speaker as I’ve never owned a Heljan Class 33 before.

It is not straight forwards. It depends on how fussy you want sound quality to be. 

This seems to be the simplest route:

https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=OOHeljanCL33

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

I’ve seen that Heljan are doing 33114 in nse livery again but with a hi intensity headlight on the front is this correct for this loco? As only ever seen pics without it. 

cheers Craig 

Yes it carried a headlight from late 1992 till withdrawal in early 1993

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

More here (all flickr urls, not my images)

33114 at Oxford

33114 at Birmingham New Street

Its worth pointing out that 33114 was only in service for 9 months in NSE livery… May 1992 until February 1993, in Mid November it didnt have headlights, on a railtour with 4TC stock, but by Christmas it did, suggesting 4.5 months ish with, and without… 

i seem to recall it was like 25912, in that it was knackered, resurrected for the openday, did minimal use, several railtours, and assisted on some workings, but burst after being used on Waterloo Exeters unsuccessfully.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 25/07/2022 at 19:43, Craig1989 said:

I’ve seen that Heljan are doing 33114 in nse livery again but with a hi intensity headlight on the front is this correct for this loco? As only ever seen pics without it. 

cheers Craig 

Indeed ,Heljan must like 33114 ( as i do ) ,this will be the 3rd iteration of it they will have produced.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 33052 said:

Indeed ,Heljan must like 33114 ( as i do ) ,this will be the 3rd iteration of it they will have produced.

Lima did 2 as well.

it seemed to be a hit, even though it was short term…. Probably due to the railtours/open days. 33035 by all accounts replaced 33114 and lasted several years, and preservation in NSE, but just isnt the same hit.

Edited by adb968008

8 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Was 33114 withdrawn before 33035 got NSE livery, im assuming so as ive never seen the two together in NSE colours?

114 withdrawn early 92

035 outshopped in NSE September 92. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 12:15, WCML100 said:

looking to get the WCR release of the latest batch and wondered if it is a suitable renumber candidate for 33207 Jim Martin. Not an expert on the 33's and wondering if there were any differences I have missed?

thanks

33207 is one of the narrow bodied 33/2s built to the narrower Hastings line loading gauge, so only another 33/2 donor model would be authentic.

• Thanks 1