2021 hopes

Hilux5972

19 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

For gods sake people just can’t help themselves can they. You could have at least waited until Andy gave us the all clear. 

Ahh take a chill pill mate... Andy has always allowed the wishlisting to commence a month prior to the announcement. He hasn't locked the thread (yet) so have fun wishlisting!! 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

SNEAK PREVIEW PIX Hornby 2021 RANGE...!

From a top secret location the following models of a Thompson B2 and revised D49/2 Hunt snapped by our spy.

663660106_DSCN0056(2).JPG.198a3723b329d7e2195dbc43a7053e42.JPG

379123961_DSCN0051(2).JPG.4e4bbbe9c9092723382afebd29eee82c.JPG

1248989114_DSCN0046(2).JPG.cdc3b8239a5e8cd321329cedbb9ba0cb.JPG

364963478_DSCN0045(2).JPG.2bd07125a90b32b88f3b71845118508b.JPG

At this point several large gentlemen in suits appeared heading straight for our intrepid snapper, so in best 'News of the World' tradition, he made his excuses and left quickly.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

For new liveries on existing models, I predict the following:-

- Europhoenix Class 37 (Railroad+)

- ROG Class 47 (Railroad+)

- DC Rail Class 56

- DC Rail Class 60

- CAPPAGH Class 60

- GBRf Blue Class 60

- GBRf Class 60

- TfW Class 67

- Intercity/LSL Class 90 (Railroad+)

- Intercity Class 87

- TPE Class 800

- TfW Mk4 DVT

- ex-VTEC Mk4 coaches

- more NR coaching stock

- Christmas wagon

- Father's Day wagon

- 2021 wagon

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Are we aloud to discuss this yet? :scared: 

I found it hilarious how on Simon and Montana's Recent Hornby Q&A they mentioned that they already have their 2022 range and 2023 range!  already planned but they joked that they hadn't had their 2021 range sorted.

My predictions for 2021 (disclaimer I am not predicting that all of these models are to be introduced launched or Reintroduced out of them all I'd say at least one).

Newly tooled 

Newly tooled BR MK4 coaches in original BR IC swallow livery and probably PP liveries.

Newly tooled BR MK4 DVT same quality as the BR MK3 DVT

Newly tooled BR Class 89 original BR IC executive livery, IC swallow livery (if Rails won't go through with it).

Newly tooled BR Class 81

Reintroduced

Steam locomotives

BR Clan Class 6MT 

SR Battle of Britain Golden Arrow both original and rebuilt.

DMUs/EMUs

BR Class 110

BR Class 142 Pacer RailBus (in any BR liveries.) (Probably railroad now) been a while since was Reintroduced 2013 was it? 

BR Class 466 "Connex" Networker

Train packs

LNER: Inter-City 125 "Let's go Round Again!" BR Class 43 power cars with seperate BR MK3 Coaches.

the second "Final days of HST" GWR 43009 and GWR 43185 BR Intercity Swallow. With a rake of matching MK3s separately.

RailRoad 

RailRoad BR Class 37 in original BR Blue with DCC fitted with TTS sound.

Possibly one or two of these prprediction  be reintroduced into the RailRoad range out of the following if the toolings still exist.

BR Class 25 In BR Blue or BR Green

BR Class 29 BR Blue

BR Class 33 BR Blue

BR Class 35 (Hymek) 

BR Class 52 (Western)  in BR Blue or Marron

BR Class 58 in BR 1985 in Grey Railfreight Livery 

BR MK3s standard first and buffet of the older tooling in RailRoad range to go with 2019 BR Class 43 HST power cars. 

That's quite right, Hornby already working on items for 2023 and it's quite normal for Hornby to be working on models due for release 2-3 years ahead. 

They are probably referring to sorting out their 2021 range with regards to licensing agreements, production slots and finalising newly tooled models.

I don't really see Hornby doing the Class 89. One off steamers are Hornby thing. One off diesels and electrics aren't. So I'd be really surprised if they do a Class 89.

A Class 81 would be really nice, but I don't see Hornby doing it. Though I wish they would do atleast one of the earlier AC electrics.

The Class 25, 29, 35, 52 and 58 would all require major tooling upgrades to be re-introduced to the Railroad range. So I don't see that happening any time soon. They'll all need new motorised bogies, new wheels, NEM coupling pockets and a DCC decoder. All that requires a substantial amount of new tooling which will be too costly. There's already two Class 25s available and it's a Class that isn't so popular even in terms of preservation, so I don't see the need. The Class 29 tooling is far too old and probably scrapped. The Class 35 would be like the Class 25, though they have quite a fan following, it's highly unlikely. The Class 52 again has 2 models from other manufacturers and the Class 58 again would require major modifications that won't really justify the cost. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots of interesting comments and some really valid hope for model’s.  I’m going to expand my hope list to include;

Titfield Thunderbolt set with a 14xx, 4 wheel carriage and Toad brake van.  Also in the set, the steam traction engine and isn’t there a bus somewhere?  It’s ages since I’ve seen the film.

Big Bertha, the 0-10-0 Lickey Banker.  Got to have at least one odd ball steam loco included.  USATC 2-8-0 S160 in OO scale, so make that now two.

Full fat version of a rebuilt Crosti 2-10-0 9f

Classes 81 - 84 OHLE AC loco’s 

Class 116, 119, 120 DMU’s

4-Sub EMU

Class 313, 314, 315, 507, 508 EMU’s

The any of the Electro-star family of EMU’s

I think there’s something there to please at least one person :scratchhead:

• Like 6

I think it'd be great to see Hornby fill a huge gap in the market and do some of the earlier AC electrics, having classes 81-84 would be awesome! Maybe even an AC EMU like the class 303 or 304!

Along with that, as many others have wished for, a fully detailed version of the Crosti 9f is much desired. 

And although I don't model the era, an LNWR Claughton would be very cool!

Gosh, wouldn't an LMS 7F be nice too.

Aw heck, why not even wish for some LNWR and LMS 3rd rail electric units too!

What would also be cool would be to see a super detailed version of the Class 06 shunter, seeing all the popularity with smaller locos lately!

Although that's what I'm wishing for, I wouldn't be surprised to see them retool the black 5 and Stanier 8f, considering their retools of many other models as of late.

Edited by thohurst
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

Lots of interesting comments and some really valid hope for model’s.  I’m going to expand my hope list to include;

Titfield Thunderbolt set with a 14xx, 4 wheel carriage and Toad brake van.  Also in the set, the steam traction engine and isn’t there a bus somewhere?  It’s ages since I’ve seen the film.

I think there’s something there to please at least one person :scratchhead:

Hornby do (did ) indeed release a model of the 'Star',  so that's another part of the film already made.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the suggestions/predictions offered so far it seems that a lot are for re-tooled versions of what are perfectly acceptable models.  I'd argue that if you can't improve on an already decent offering to bring it up to the standard you wish for then you probably don't have the skills to build a layout to the same standard and we end up with a lovely loco let down by its surroundings.

There are possibilities for new models, so far unavailable in the rtr world, but they're a little less mainstream as all the obvious targets seem to have been covered. I'd suggest:

NLR Park 0-6-0T

GWR 2-4-0T metro tank - (could the same tooling with tweaks do the B&M version?)

HR class W 0-4-4T

LNER B16 4-6-0

I could see Hornby doing a set of GWR 4w carriages - like the ever popular Ratio kits.

Outside bet, the Battle Space turbo car in the steampunk range.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, mdvle said:

Experience says otherwise, with un-numbered models sitting on retailer shelves as buyers (whether "collectors, modellers, or the vast majority of people who just buy stuff to have fun with) avoid them.  As such I don't know that many retailers would bother stocking un-numbered wagons, leaving Hornby with a lot of stuff stock in the warehouse.

You could be entirely right.  If you want a 'single' example of a wagon, then that's fine. If you want 50-60 wagons, then removing the numbers is a bit tedious.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Kris said:

There is a lithograph that gives some indication as to the types of wagons in use. 

854946512.jpg

This image is a direct link from the Science + Industry museum in Manchester. There is quite a bit of information on their website. 

Ah, so that is where the image originates, thank you.

Maybe also the source used by Royal Mail for an issue of stamps 'Rainhill Trials' in 1980.

The pink coach at the end of the top train is interesting.

I recall from the stamps one of the third class coaches having a roof though have also read on this site that this was a later addition not for weather protection but for protection from steam, smoke + soot from the locomotive.

Not withstanding historical accuracy I wonder if these could be on the cards from Hornby (as surely not a big adjustment for them to make to existing tooling), with the likes of 'Lion' or similar!

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

They did one a while ago, complete with DVD of the film.  Whats needed is a version with "Lion", a locomotive that would go nicely with "Rocket" rolling stock.  A couple of early goods wagons would be nice too.

1 hour ago, thohurst said:

an LNWR Claughton would be very cool!

I completely agree!

1 hour ago, thohurst said:

Aw heck, why not even wish for some LNWR and LMS 3rd rail electric units too!

There's a Class 503 LMS/BR EMU in their 1:1 storage.

Oh well... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Legend said:

Large carnivore often found on safari.  If you are old enough to remember Daktari, Clarence was a cross eyed one . And there certainly was a chocolate bar named after one , not sure if you still get it . I think might be ideal in a Titfield Thunderbolt set too . 

Excellent, just like the game we play with the wee ones on a long car journey when the had to guess the animal.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

May I be the first? Swindon Cross Country DMU (Cl.120)..:jester: Pretty much given up on that unless Heljan shoot their 7mm one down to OO.

Seriously, though. Excuse my Southern steam bias, and I'll excuse that of others for other regions and traction.

A further tranche of air-smoothed MNs is a safe bet, hopefully with more than just livery variations this time around. At least one in 1957+ condition (e.g. 35001/11/21 with cut-down tenders or 35006 with a high one) that can run legitimately alongside Rebuilts on the South Western. (Clan Line didn't until after rebuilding AFAIK).

A medium or smaller Southern loco, a Q seems to be most expected but a G6, H16, U or W would do me very nicely - more than one of them would do me even more nicely! Some further variations of the M7 PLEASE to relieve the monotony of the long-frame/p-p fitted/high sandbox variant. I've had three of those since early on and only bought a fourth because it was an absolute steal s/h.

I don't think we'll see a Urie S15 this year, I get the impression Hornby produced rather too many of their gorgeous Maunsell ones and overhanging stocks of those need to disappear first. I've done my bit, having bought my third. I suspect that one may be well advanced, but probably being held back.

Re-tools? the Rebuilt MN and Black Five must be top of the list, I'd think. There is a third of the former class that Hornby haven't yet touched (preserved blue version with wrong tender excepted). 

Finally, ain't it about time Hornby got round to a de-Crostied Crosti 9F?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7

I know little about diesel markets so will say nothing. However for steam

1) More era 1. Rocket was massively popular. Coaches are now available. Lion would be a good seller with titfield tie in, as would Locomotion but I guess this might be costly. Also, I believe a WU tramway coach has been measured.

2) other locos will focus on pres stuff. USATC S160s seem strangely popular. 

Maybe be a new tooling 4F?

• Like 2

Not a Wish List per se, but my musings on the more likely contenders to be picked up by manufactures. Most of these are not my interest anyway, any I put them in no particular order:

J69 0-6-0T (preserved)

J17 0-6-0 (preserved)

S160 2-8-0 (preserved)

120 dmu

E4 2-4-0 (preserved)

D78/230/484 etc mu

Networker (365) emu

Electrostar (387 etc) emu

302 emu

303 emu

304 305 emu

309 emu

310 emu

313 emu

317 emu

I drew this up a couple of weeks ago I did have a 15xx on it as well, but we know what happened there!

Stewart

• Like 7

10 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

According to the Hornby Advent Calendar 1000 on 5/1/2021.

A reasonable expectation that the website will crash so I would suggest looking on the afternoon of the 6th...

WHAT !

And lose the opportunity to come on this site and moan about what wasn't announced !

IF there were to be a split in the reactions, I would suggest one thread for praise/appraisal, and one thread (that all sensible people could ignore) for moans and complaints.

By the way, a  4-COR would be excellent - the only EMU with "character".

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

By the way, a  4-COR would be excellent - the only EMU with "character".

Yep, but I'd prefer green with yellow ends.

Another one that has occurred since I put my original wish list up: A Bulleid Raworth Booster Loco, There is a resin kit available but it didn't strike me as a brilliant representation and needed a lot of work to get it looking halfway decent.

• Like 4

More Era 1 stuff as other people have said.

Mark 4s + DVT as a obvious as well.

Would love more Caledonian Railways stuff, Steam loco's, coaching stock etc.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Merlin liveried version of the HST in the main range as well to.

An S160 would be nice, considering only one you can get is the Roco variant in HO.

Lastly for Hornby to get away from 8pin decoders to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I compiled a list a few weeks ago of all the locos/units I would buy if they were produced. There were 17 of them, but sadly only one - the J69 - seems  a reasonable possibility.  What I need most is a Stanier or Fowler 2-6-2T, but they seem too humdrum to interest manufacturers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrTea said:

For something a bit leftfield how about a new version of Caley 123, the single wheeler? They had one in the range years ago and it’s a pretty pre-grouping loco. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another small industrial logo as these have been good sellers for the last few years, maybe a Bagnall 0-4-0ST or another 0-4-0 diesel shunter?

It's probably not even all that left-field, there seems to be a bit of momentum behind offering models of pre-grouping locos at the moment, and it's got a long history in the Hornby catalogue- and makes quite a nice follow-on from them retooling 'Rocket' last year- when they re-released the two singles and 'Rocket' back in the early 80's, IIRC they came out pretty much in consecutive years

OK it's a one-off, but there are three livery options, it was in service until 1935 and it got about a fair bit during its' early 60's return to steam, so potentially attractive to the BR era modeller. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see Hornby do a retooled version of either the Caley or the GWR Dean Single in the next couple of years.

I'd be amazed if we don't see another industrial this year, they seem to be very much flavour of the month at the moment- at the very least we'll get some new liveries on the Pecketts and Ruston.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

According to the Hornby Advent Calendar 1000 on 5/1/2021.

A reasonable expectation that the website will crash so I would suggest looking on the afternoon of the 6th...

Andy does a great job of getting the information on here . This is my first stop for information .

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Not a Wish List per se, but my musings on the more likely contenders to be picked up by manufactures. Most of these are not my interest anyway, any I put them in no particular order:

J69 0-6-0T (preserved)

J17 0-6-0 (preserved)

S160 2-8-0 (preserved)

120 dmu

E4 2-4-0 (preserved)

D78/230/484 etc mu

Networker (365) emu

Electrostar (387 etc) emu

302 emu

303 emu

304 305 emu

309 emu

310 emu

313 emu

317 emu

I drew this up a couple of weeks ago I did have a 15xx on it as well, but we know what happened there!

Stewart

Good points . I keep forgetting about a J69  but  it looks subtly different from other tank engines . Did they appear in GER blue too , or was that just in the Graham Farish adverts for their “n” gauge one ?

I’d really love a Glasgow “Blue Train” class 303 . Lovely units that I travelled on for near on 30 years I think .  It’s a bit niche though , mainly West Scotland apart from a spell in Manchester . Probably a 313/314/315 has more commercial prospects . Also been waiting for one of these since the real things arrived in 76!   AC Emus are a bit neglected compared to their third rail counterparts, although many of them had to be discounted to clear stocks.

I like these threads . Retooled Black 5 and 8F were things I hadn’t thought of . But I suppose there’s a danger if they don’t do them someone else will pick them off - now that Accurascale might be looking at steam locos . I think Fran said that in an interview recently , when in fact their first loco model was going to be a Thomson pacific until they found out Hornby were doing one . 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

- My dark horse punt: the GWR "Great Bear", or an S160...

CoY

Been thinking about these suggestions. Before the W1 was announced I’d have thought ‘Great Bear’ was very unlikely from the red box guys. But now I’m less sure. It just has the problem of not lasting that long, only having 1 name/number and not much in the way of livery variants. I would have thought that, although it was a one-off, the LNER Hush Hush is distinctive enough - as well as being a Gresley design - to do well from a sales point of view. I wouldn’t mind betting Hornby have sold way more A4s than GWR Kings over the years?

The S160 on the other hand: preserved examples currently running, lots of liveries including LMR lined blue, and WWII associations - I can see that being a commercial success. I’ll certainly be one of the first to get my pre-order in if there’s one in the 2021 range announcement!

34D25E79-54B7-4457-8689-94E37E5C5B3E.jpeg.169c17320aacfdcb5b0a23e0c504b2d5.jpeg

USATC S160 ‘Big Jim’ 5820 at Oxenhope sometime in the mid-1980s

• Like 4
  • Agree 1