2021 hopes

Hilux5972

5 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

That leaves one more locomotive, which I reckon will be a BR Standard of some kind. Not a 9F- I'm not sure where all that speculation has come from, but surely that would be an extremely risky commercial proposition given all the recent Bachmann and "Railroad Plus" ones kicking around? I think it will be the Clan, they make loads on eBay, and I'm sure there's tons of demand. All the other major Pacific classes and many of the minor ones are now widely available, excluding one-offs I think it's just the A2/3s and the Raven A2s now??

Look at the cover of the new catalogue....

:senile:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, daltonparva said:

Besides the Caley single that people keep mentioning, which would go with Rails/Bachmann new 812 offering, there is another Caley loco in the Hornby stable that would benefit from a long overdue upgrading and fit with the current penchant for highly detailed small locos; the Caley  "pug".

I would quite like 123 to go with my forthcoming (hopefully imminent) T9 No.120 in LSWR green.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be some love for a S160.

How about another from the same era?

WD Austerity 2-10-0

(Despite my current day interests - I have a 75% part built DJH kit that's on my "idle spare time" to-do list. I know if I set to to finish it, H will announce it)

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Like Hornby did with the Class 58?

Yes. I remember it well. They even had it in the catalogue about a year before it was built in BR Blue.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=269

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_year_details.asp?itemyearid=287

Jason

• Like 1

Of interest to me, I'm expecting more Terriers and Pecketts in cute liveries. Maybe the Maunsell restaurant car in Blood & Custard.

What I'm hoping for:

• Metropolitan E
  • Caledonian 439
  • USATC S160 in Longmoor blue (maybe a model of the one in red as well)
  • WD 2-10-0 in Longmoor blue
  • Rolling stock to go with the above
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

That's quite right, Hornby already working on items for 2023 and it's quite normal for Hornby to be working on models due for release 2-3 years ahead. 

They are probably referring to sorting out their 2021 range with regards to licensing agreements, production slots and finalising newly tooled models.

I don't really see Hornby doing the Class 89. One off steamers are Hornby thing. One off diesels and electrics aren't. So I'd be really surprised if they do a Class 89.

A Class 81 would be really nice, but I don't see Hornby doing it. Though I wish they would do atleast one of the earlier AC electrics.

The Class 25, 29, 35, 52 and 58 would all require major tooling upgrades to be re-introduced to the Railroad range. So I don't see that happening any time soon. They'll all need new motorised bogies, new wheels, NEM coupling pockets and a DCC decoder. All that requires a substantial amount of new tooling which will be too costly. There's already two Class 25s available and it's a Class that isn't so popular even in terms of preservation, so I don't see the need. The Class 29 tooling is far too old and probably scrapped. The Class 35 would be like the Class 25, though they have quite a fan following, it's highly unlikely. The Class 52 again has 2 models from other manufacturers and the Class 58 again would require major modifications that won't really justify the cost. 

Yes apologies I forgot to add this although in my original post back in August. I did mention that if the toolings for BR classes 25-58 above did still exist they'd need tooling modifications as you've mentioned which would be costly. Of course Bachmann Heljan etc all manufacturer these to a higher standered of quality and to 2020s standards. But of course if people really desperately want a Hornby model of the above as mentioned although they will be old couplings ,no DCC decoder sockets m, NME coupling sockets etc. Surprisingly old/new shop stock of these can and has appeared on well known auction sites.  I picked up an old new shop stock BR Class 33 ex lima Railroad locomotive. a couple years back managed to obtain the ones mentioned old new shop stock boxed with all paperwork etc. So if people really want one that badly they can buy old new shop stock which appears t be quite alot throughout each year.  :D I suppose if enough demand is there any of the BR AC electrics would be nice aswell .

• Agree 1

With Hornby's long association with producing highly detailed Pullman coaches, I will keep my fingers crossed for a 1:76 scale Pullman Type F sleeper coach - just one tooling required! Together with a 1:76 4 wheeled Fourgon van to enable the Night Ferry to be replicated. I think most modellers have a soft spot for the umber and cream Pullman coaches, and a rake of dark blue coaches with a similar aura of mystique and luxury would go well behind all of Hornby's SR mainline locos.

And whilst talking of luxury, how easy would it be for Hornby to produce the new "Blue Pullman" HST? A relatively simple (?) relivery of existing models and bang up to date, plus a shorter than original HST formation so ideal for modellers! (I realise the second restaurant car has vastly altered window arrangements, so producing that might be a step too far or very expensive as a one off vehicle, but otherwise it is a relivery plus an extra headlight?!)

HOURS OF FUN SPECULATION!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Safe bet would be more test train stock either modern image network rail or RTC as they seemed to sell really well. 

Maybe see class 60 in GBRF or DCR class 60

For me personally LNER farewell HST pack and TPE class 802 would be welcome additions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Look at the cover of the new catalogue....

:senile:

Do you mean there is already a link for the 2021 67th Edition catalogue with a ref number? :o usually A mock blured image with the typical Hornby 2021 catalogue banner. such last year when for the centenary catalogue it was just a blurred photo of the 2019 catalogue. :lol::laugh_mini:

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There seems to be some love for a S160.

How about another from the same era?

WD Austerity 2-10-0

(Despite my current day interests - I have a 75% part built DJH kit that's on my "idle spare time" to-do list. I know if I set to to finish it, H will announce it)

Great idea but I feel with Bachmann having already done one, it’s highly unlikely.

21 hours ago, Tramshed said:

After this years centenary 'releasefest', 2021 may see more limited additions to the range.

At the time they released the 'as built' MN, Hornby said they had the tooling options for each of the class variants. We are probably due for a 'middle third' (21C11-20) version of this class.

The Ivatt version of the Coronation pacific has yet to appear in LMS Black so I would not be surprised to see 'Sir William Stanier FRS' in this guise sometime soon.

On the modern image front, there may have been enough time since their UK launch to scan and tool a Stadler 755 bi-mode. This seems to tick several boxes since it does not require a layout with catenary and is available in 3 or 4 (OK 4 or 5 if you include the power car) lengths which should fit on most layouts. The power car provides a convenient and authentic place to put a sound chip/speaker and by now someone will have had the chance to create a sound file. If I keep guessing this, I will be right one year!

I'd love to see this although I'd also love to see more of these again in retro packaging although I doubt they will in retro packaging again as that was for their very special centenary year. Although if they are limited editions I assume retro packaging isn't impossible to happen although unlikely.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Yes apologies I forgot to add this although in my original post back in August. I did mention that if the toolings for BR classes 25-58 above did still exist they'd need tooling modifications as you've mentioned which would be costly. Of course Bachmann Heljan etc all manufacturer these to a higher standered of quality and to 2020s standards. But of course if people really desperately want a Hornby model of the above as mentioned although they will be old couplings ,no DCC decoder sockets m, NME coupling sockets etc. Surprisingly old/new shop stock of these can and has appeared on well known auction sites.  I picked up an old new shop stock BR Class 33 ex lima Railroad locomotive. a couple years back managed to obtain the ones mentioned old new shop stock boxed with all paperwork etc. So if people really want one that badly they can buy old new shop stock which appears t be quite alot throughout each year.  :D I suppose if enough demand is there any of the BR AC electrics would be nice aswell .

Given that Bachmann have recently revamped their 25, Heljan have a new one on the go, and SLW have shown how it should be done, Hornby's would probably be Railroad level with new gubbins under the (still surprisingly decent) old body.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

With Hornby's long association with producing highly detailed Pullman coaches, I will keep my fingers crossed for a 1:76 scale Pullman Type F sleeper coach - just one tooling required! Together with a 1:76 4 wheeled Fourgon van to enable the Night Ferry to be replicated. I think most modellers have a soft spot for the umber and cream Pullman coaches, and a rake of dark blue coaches with a similar aura of mystique and luxury would go well behind all of Hornby's SR mainline locos.

And whilst talking of luxury, how easy would it be for Hornby to produce the new "Blue Pullman" HST? A relatively simple (?) relivery of existing models and bang up to date, plus a shorter than original HST formation so ideal for modellers! (I realise the second restaurant car has vastly altered window arrangements, so producing that might be a step too far or very expensive as a one off vehicle, but otherwise it is a relivery plus an extra headlight?!)

HOURS OF FUN SPECULATION!

A Blue Pullman HST sounds very nice yes I could see this especially if the power cars were in gloss finish! :lol:

39 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Like Hornby did with the Class 58?

Different era, where they could get away with an inaccurate model if some late changes happened.

In today's accuracy required environment it would be rather risky to spend the $100,000 plus on tooling only to discover the real thing changed between a year ago and now and thus required expensive changes to the tooling.

Far better to wait for the real thing to be finished.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Do you mean there is already a link for the 2021 67th Edition catalogue with a ref number? :o usually A mock blured image with the typical Hornby 2021 catalogue banner. such last year when for the centenary catalogue it was just a blurred photo of the 2019 catalogue. :lol::laugh_mini:

It was on the Hornby Advent calendar. Day Two. There's a thread on it....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

I recognised the painting as being of 92220 Evening Star which was used for the 1971 catalogue.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Looking at the suggestions/predictions offered so far it seems that a lot are for re-tooled versions of what are perfectly acceptable models.  I'd argue that if you can't improve on an already decent offering to bring it up to the standard you wish for then you probably don't have the skills to build a layout to the same standard and we end up with a lovely loco let down by its surroundings.

Alternatively, we all have time constraints and if Hornby (or whoever) can do the work for us then that means we have the time to build the layout to the same standard.

Otherwise we still end up where you claim - a lovely loco let down by its surroundings because there is no time left for the layout.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was on the Hornby Advent calendar. Day Two. There's a thread on it....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/advent-calendar

I recognised the painting as being of 92220 Evening Star which was used for the 1971 catalogue.

Jason

Thanks Jason!:D  I must have missed number 2:o :huh: how have I missed this?  I'm terrible for missing days on advent calendars when I've reached the last day on my Cadbury Dairy Milk one one year I realised that I had missed 7 windows. :laugh_mini:

Edited by RyanN91
Missed out advent calenders
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Different era, where they could get away with an inaccurate model if some late changes happened.

In today's accuracy required environment it would be rather risky to spend the $100,000 plus on tooling only to discover the real thing changed between a year ago and now and thus required expensive changes to the tooling.

But we are talking about announcements, not finished articles.

If they wait until it's finished then manufacturer XYZ takes it.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, mdvle said:

Quite - but it is a wishlist hopelist after all.....................

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

In a topic called "2021 Hopes" only @rovex has mentioned the obvious choice:

How about a GWR 2021 class 0-6-0 saddle tank - not as later converted to pannier tanks, we've got enough of those!

Surely the perfect loco to release next year!?

Domeless with a few variations of cab, bunker and chimney styles, ideally.

Hornby have done well with small saddle tank locos recently and this would follow-up that trend with a loco that could find a place in many GWR layouts, ringing the changes a bit from the ubiquitous panniers. (Did any survive into BR ownership in saddle tank form?)

I think a problem might be one where the lack of scan-able examples would count against it. Don't get me wrong, I'll definitely be in for one.  Regretfully, I can't see it happening.

That said, and we all know, I've been wrong before... Hornby have 2 Western models they could remake; either the Dean Single, or the humble 2721 pannier, Either choice would be a popular model. not to mention hopefully profitable for Hornby. 

As far as making it to BR, let's have a look...Hmm. I'll defer to Miss Prism, if I may. I do know some made it to BR, but I'm not sure.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1