• 2 months later...

Newsletter #6 - 22nd July 2021

• First look at Rapido UK's new home
  • 16xx: the end is in sight
  • First look at the Gunpowder Van
  • Product development news
  • Thought of the Month - the status of the 15xx
  • Jason explains how model companies manage money

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-UK-News-No--6---all-the-latest-from-your-favourite-model-manufacturer-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=lil48QBbIg0

Edited by mdvle
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

A bit of catch up.

Newsletter #7 - 27th August 2021

• Engineering prototypes of OO Hunslet 16in 0-6-0ST
  • Production samples of OO WMPTE Fleetlines
  • Production samples of fresh batch of 'New Look' Guys
  • An "explosive" new video
  • How to weather a bus
  • Suggest an OB

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Rapido-UK-News-No--7.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=1fPXHst0Zs8

Newsletter #8 - 30th September 2021

• NEW Tooling Announcement (N Conflat P and containers)
  • Exciting bus news
  • NEW order deadlines
  • Project updates
  • An 'E1' update
  • Some thoughts on the human side of railway modelling

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/EXCLUSIVE-New-Tooling-Announcement--Don-t-miss-it-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=3CMixW6QO-o

Newsletter #9 - 28th October 2021

• EXCLUSIVE tour of Rapido UK warehouse
  • First look at the '15XX'
  • APT-E progress
  • NEW: Rapido Facebook Live
  • Exciting 'E1' news
  • Now that the nights are drawing in, it's the perfect time to look at how to install lights in our buses

https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Have-your-say-about-the--OO--gauge-LBSCR--E1-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=CFDzGRZrj0M

• Like 1

Thanks to the newsletter link. 

The CoBo cab window conundrum - who d a thought it eh !!  AIUI they were modified from the wrap around design very early in their lives and way before CAD became popular  

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Covkid said:

Thanks to the newsletter link. 

The CoBo cab window conundrum - who d a thought it eh !!  AIUI they were modified from the wrap around design very early in their lives and way before CAD became popular  

The Rapido newsletter link is quite clear about the dating of the cab window mods (when the locos went back to MV in 1961 for various mods) although it doesn't mention the minor livery changes reportedly made at the same time.  The $64,000 question is I suppose when they came off the 'Condor' working - the block reallocation to Barrow seems to have taken place in 1962 but soem of them went back to Carlisle near the end of their working lives.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Newsletter No 10 has just been sent out.
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Happy-Birthday-to-us--Celebrate-with-a-birthday-bash-newsletter-crammed-full-of-fun-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=Sax2Urkax4M
Full of the usual interesting stuff, including this little snippet.
"At the time of writing, we have five yet-to-be-announced wagons in tooling, four new locomotives at the design stage and two new buses that are coming together nicely."
Let the frothing commence! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bucoops said:

And what's wrong with the BBC Micro?!

Nothing.  Well, I mean, as long as you are running LSL's multi-tasking windows software for 8086 and 8088 computers :)
(child of the late 80's- if you have to ask what LSL is, you aren't a child of the late 80's...)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Newsletter No 10 has just been sent out.
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Happy-Birthday-to-us--Celebrate-with-a-birthday-bash-newsletter-crammed-full-of-fun-.html?soid=1101318906379&aid=Sax2Urkax4M
Full of the usual interesting stuff, including this little snippet.
"At the time of writing, we have five yet-to-be-announced wagons in tooling, four new locomotives at the design stage and two new buses that are coming together nicely."
Let the frothing commence! ;)

I'm certainly intrigued by the visit to the Fens. Does this imply something in the offing for East Anglian modellers? After all, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to release the GER coach from the Titfield range in its original form as a W&U coach, to go with the J70s produced for Model Rail. Or maybe a GER wagon or two.

3 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I'm certainly intrigued by the visit to the Fens. Does this imply something in the offing for East Anglian modellers? After all, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to release the GER coach from the Titfield range in its original form as a W&U coach, to go with the J70s produced for Model Rail. Or maybe a GER wagon or two.

W&U as r.t.r product?, would there actually  be the sales demand for the r.t.r amounts needed to make a profit, to actually sell  enough?    

Model Rail still have not sold out of most of the examples of the  J70's , so hardly encouraging a maker to take the risk. Far too niche a subject.

GER wagons would be much more viable . Oxford are have already announced some GER Vans .

15 minutes ago, micklner said:

W&U as r.t.r product?, would there actually  be the sales demand for the r.t.r amounts needed to make a profit, to actually sell  enough?    

Model Rail still have not sold out of most of the examples of the  J70's , so hardly encouraging a maker to take the risk. Far too niche a subject.

GER wagons would be much more viable . Oxford are have already announced some GER Vans .

It's niche, but also iconic. And iconic sells. More to the point, the Titfield GER coach is a former W&U coach (the movie used one from preservation), so releasing it in a W&U livery (and, possibly, also a Kelvedon and Tollesbury livery) would be a sensible way of sweating the assets. It wouldn't be justifiable to do one just for the W&U, I agree, but if you've already got the tooling then an additional livery is a much lower marginal cost.

Having said that, an E4 is still on my wishlist. There's always space for another quirky little loco on the retailers' shelves. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2021 at 11:13, The Stationmaster said:

The Rapido newsletter link is quite clear about the dating of the cab window mods (when the locos went back to MV in 1961 for various mods) although it doesn't mention the minor livery changes reportedly made at the same time.  The $64,000 question is I suppose when they came off the 'Condor' working - the block reallocation to Barrow seems to have taken place in 1962 but soem of them went back to Carlisle near the end of their working lives.

I think some windows were modified before the mass return to the makers.  I'll check later, but I'm sure Anthony Sayers' latest volume includes images of flat fronted windows before the class was withdrawn for rectification...

Best

Scott.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

The Toad and the Loriot are looking good. (I hope Dan's house is removable on the Loriot - without the use of either brute force or various cutting devices.)

As you can see Miss P I have slightly amended your comment in respect of the Loriot.  It could prove a very useful vehicle for various departmental conversions as well.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

The Toad and the Loriot are looking good. (I hope Dan's house is removable on the Loriot.)

Or a version in non-fictional guise is made available. 

The advantage of modelling the Titfield Thunderbolt is that although the train as a whole is fictional, everything in it (with the exception of Dan's house itself) is a real, working item of rolling stock or motive power (courtesy of the filmmakers' decision to use preserved/museum stock rather than building a mobile set from scratch). So once the tooling is complete, Rapido won't just have a fictional train, they'll also have the basis of four (five if you include the Bedford OB coach) new RTR models of genuine prototypes, of which only the AA20 Toad has been done before (and then not up to modern standards). So it would be surprising if they didn't already have plans to release "real life" versions of all of them. The newsletter even hints that the Toad, at least, will be released in multiple variants, as the photos show two different CAD renders - which is double the number necessary for just the Thunderbolt! I fully expect that the Loriot, too, will get a "real life" version as well as being part of the TT pack.

5 hours ago, MarkSG said:

It's niche, but also iconic. And iconic sells. More to the point, the Titfield GER coach is a former W&U coach (the movie used one from preservation), so releasing it in a W&U livery (and, possibly, also a Kelvedon and Tollesbury livery) would be a sensible way of sweating the assets. It wouldn't be justifiable to do one just for the W&U, I agree, but if you've already got the tooling then an additional livery is a much lower marginal cost.

Having said that, an E4 is still on my wishlist. There's always space for another quirky little loco on the retailers' shelves. 

Its only sensible to produce any item if the company  think they can sell "X" amount. "Iconic" no idea why,  even if it is how many people model either the W&U or Kelvedon again no idea, but I cannot see many people buying one who model elsewhere even if they do the LNER or pregrouping.

I model the LNER  , geograpically it is no interest whatsoever as is the J70.

The bean counters will looking for money products , the way prices are going there will be less r.t.r being produced in the future.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2021 at 11:13, The Stationmaster said:

8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I think some windows were modified before the mass return to the makers.  I'll check later, but I'm sure Anthony Sayers' latest volume includes images of flat fronted windows before the class was withdrawn for rectification...

Best

Scott.

Further to this:

Photo of D5700 April 1961 with flat w/s, no SYP.  It didn't go to Duckinfield until 20th October 1961.

Photo of D5704 September 1960 with flat w/s, no SYP.  It didn't go to Duckinfield until 18th September 1961.

Photo of D5705 May 1961 with flat w/s, no SYP.  It didn't go to Duckinfield until 20th October 1961

Photo of D5705 April 1960 with flat w/s, ends not visible.  It didn't go to Duckinfield until 20th October  1961.

In terms of whether flat w/s 28s hauled Condor, there is a photo of an unidentified pair dated 1961, the leader with flat front and no SYP, pulling a Condor service at Ampthill, near Luton.

None of the 28s came out of Duckinfield rectified, until 1962, bar one:  D5719.  It exited 21/12/61, and although there is a suggestion elsewhere that D57019 may have exited Duckinfield without SYP, the lighting on the photograph doesn't suggest December.    The Locomotive went straight to 12B which by that time was Carlisle Upperby with Penrith as a sub-shed and was noted there 30th December, so it seems extremely unlikely 19 is the one.

Based on that, I would suggest it is perfectly plausible to run a model of the Condor with a flat fronted, non-SYP class 28.

Best

Scott.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Afternoon all,

Well not as much frothing as I thought!

So to answer a few questions...

All of the Titfield related items will be released in a stand alone format. Full details of these will come out in the near future.

For the Loriot this is likely to be the original GWR livery and the livery seen in Paul B's photos.

Interest inly we have found no other images or records that show them in any other livery. Anecdotal evidence shows that 41989 was scrapped shortly after the Titfield filming. Only a handful of photos survive for these two models.

The toad is looking really good and i'm currently choosing examples to produce outside of Titfield.

Work is progressing on the W&U. The interest around this model has been really quite large..

Happy modelling.

Andy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing all of the Titfield range but I have to admit that my greatest interest is in the Wisbech and Upwell coach to have two or three of them for my two J70's which otherwise will be left hauling Hattons Genesis coaches which are already on order for use with other motive power.

4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

The toad is looking really good and i'm currently choosing examples to produce outside of Titfield.

A BR-liveried one might be popular - http://www.gwr.org.uk/brakes/w68763.jpg  (this is a low lower-footboard type).

Beware of preserved Toads - many of them are a hodge-podge of different replacement bits.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 14:56, micklner said:

Its only sensible to produce any item if the company  think they can sell "X" amount. "Iconic" no idea why,  even if it is how many people model either the W&U or Kelvedon again no idea, but I cannot see many people buying one who model elsewhere even if they do the LNER or pregrouping.

I model the LNER  , geograpically it is no interest whatsoever as is the J70.

The bean counters will looking for money products , the way prices are going there will be less r.t.r being produced in the future.

How many people model the Titfield Thunderbolt? The point is that the TT train comprises items of rolling stock that existed in real life. So Rapido will have the tooling for a W&U/K&T coach, even if that's not their primary focus. In which case, releasing it with those liveries is only a marginal additional cost. So releasing it with those liveries is very likely to recoup the cost of getting the livery done.

• Agree 1