Rapido UK Newsletters

mdvle

20 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

A BR-liveried one might be popular - http://www.gwr.org.uk/brakes/w68763.jpg  (this is a low lower-footboard type).

Beware of preserved Toads - many of them are a hodge-podge of different replacement bits.

We certainly will include a BR liveries van or two.

Interestingly we have

not found many clear photos that show all the lettering which makes things harder. If anyone knows what the instructions on this van were - or knows of any other images I would love to hear from you.

a couple of preserved vans will likely appear but we do list the on the website ‘as preserved’.

Many of the service vans contained a random assortment of bits in their later days too by all accounts..

Andy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, MarkSG said:

How many people model the Titfield Thunderbolt? The point is that the TT train comprises items of rolling stock that existed in real life. So Rapido will have the tooling for a W&U/K&T coach, even if that's not their primary focus. In which case, releasing it with those liveries is only a marginal additional cost. So releasing it with those liveries is very likely to recoup the cost of getting the livery done.

Like anything, makers always have to take a chance on any product selling. Rapido in this case , their decision , their financial risk. There is always lots of hot air as to "buyers" want/demand before any item is made. Said "buyers" then have to produce the cash , time will tell as usual.

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

The latest newsletter is out and poses this question at the end:

We’ll have something a little less Southern-orientated next time. Here’s a hint to the subject matter:

What line was BR’s first to be completely dieselised?

Can someone please shed some light for the less knowledgeable of us?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The Wisbech and Upwell Tramway was the first (standard gauge, and part of the national network) line in Britain to be worked solely by diesel traction. 

That was my first thought, and a skirted 04 would be an obvious choice for Rapido to go with the J70. I bet quite a lot of us would like to model the W&U in its transition period, even if that was extremely brief in real life (I've got the excuse that I'm modelling a fictitious extension to Welney and beyond, so in my imaginary scenario the transition period was longer). And like the J70, a skirted 04 would be suitable for a lot of dockside layouts too.

• Like 2

Wouldn't it only be suitable for the first few though?

I can't remember all the details but the next batch and subsequent batches were significantly different including an increase in wheel diameter. Like many I've looked at doing one from a Bachmann version or even Airfix and dismissed it as too much work.

Also says 

We’ll have something a little less Southern-orientated next time. Here’s a hint to the subject matter:

First one was used on the Southern after a period on loan to the LNER - DS1173

https://www.lner.info/locos/Experimental/Drewry.php

Jason

50 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Wouldn't it only be suitable for the first few though?

I can't remember all the details but the next batch and subsequent batches were significantly different including an increase in wheel diameter. Like many I've looked at doing one from a Bachmann version or even Airfix and dismissed it as too much work.

I suppose it depends on how many variants they want to tool. The Bachmann 04 is relatively recent, I'm not sure that making a direct competitor to that would be justifiable. I'd have thought that the whole point would be to do the early versions that the Bachmann version doesn't represent.

The first batch of 04s (four locos) were equipped for street running with skirts and cowcatchers, the second batch (six locos) were mostly the same (including the same diameter wheels) but didn't have skirts or cowcatchers. That's ten different locos which could probably all be done as variants of the same basic tooling. And that's in the ballpark of a typical Rapido release - there were ten J70s, there are 14 E1s in development and eight 15XXs. And, like the 15XX, a small-wheel 04 would fill a distinct gap in current provision.

That's assuming we've all guessed correctly as to the identity of the line (and hence loco) in question, of course. I wouldn't put it past them to be leading us all up the garden path here.

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I suppose it depends on how many variants they want to tool. The Bachmann 04 is relatively recent, I'm not sure that making a direct competitor to that would be justifiable. I'd have thought that the whole point would be to do the early versions that the Bachmann version doesn't represent.

The first batch of 04s (four locos) were equipped for street running with skirts and cowcatchers, the second batch (six locos) were mostly the same (including the same diameter wheels) but didn't have skirts or cowcatchers. That's ten different locos which could probably all be done as variants of the same basic tooling. And that's in the ballpark of a typical Rapido release - there were ten J70s, there are 14 E1s in development and eight 15XXs. And, like the 15XX, a small-wheel 04 would fill a distinct gap in current provision.

That's assuming we've all guessed correctly as to the identity of the line (and hence loco) in question, of course. I wouldn't put it past them to be leading us all up the garden path here.

There's no doubt about the first BR line to be fully dieselised (assuming standard gauge and part of BR) as the 1952 date for the W&U was well ahead of anywhere else.  But it might depend by what is meant by 'dieselised' and it could be a red herring as you say.  But the W&U opens numerous doors including the two I dropped in above although you need to decode what I wrote;  my money at present is on Growmore as a strong left side possibility.  

• 4 weeks later...

Newsletter 21 - https://myemail.constantcontact.com/New-projects--updates-AND-a-Wisbech---Upwell-special-.html?soid=1138500243749&aid=K3WWqdlQ6aI

• Welcome to Dan
  • Order deadline reminder
  • First listen to the 15xx
  • Lion in colour
  • Titfield figures update
  • A word about North American orders
  • Exclusive E1 announcement
  • E1 correction
  • factory update
  • W&U coaches: order book opens
  • W&U announcements x 3
  • Wisbech & Upwell then and now

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On their Facebook site 3 days ago, Rapido commented that 2023 is the 160th anniversary of the Metropolitan Railway and posted a photo of a Met electric Bo-Bo and Dreadnought coaches with emphasis on the coaches. With the loco already in the Heljan fold is there a hint about the coaches?. Can't see any other reason for the posting and comment.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

49 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Maybe we just like celebrating historical anniversaries.

or maybe we are doing the Bo-Bo in N

or maybe S7

or maybe it’s a hint at a red 45xx

or maybe were going to make an engine that built the Met

or maybe we are going to make an Ashbury set.

or maybe it’s nothing at all and we’re just having some fun.

it’s why you love/hate (delete as appropriate)  us!

Happy Saturday!

The only 'Met' electric Bo-Bo in N you should consider is an EM1, the 'Ashbury' set should be a 506 😄

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

or maybe S7

Happy Saturday!

Or we could prompt you to do the right thing and make them, you know you want to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

or maybe S7

Happy Saturday!

Or maybe you're just teasing us.  On the other hand if something says 'Met' more than any other engine it has to be one of these -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Railway_A_Class#/media/File:Metropolitan_Railway_engine_No._27_Metropolitan_A_Class.jpg

But going on past form for Rapido I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see a Manning Wardle saddle tank creep in as a  left field Met linked appearance (via Brill and Huddersfield - or should that be Huddersfield and Brill?)

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Or maybe you're just teasing us.  On the other hand if something says 'Met' more than any other engine it has to be one of these -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Railway_A_Class#/media/File:Metropolitan_Railway_engine_No._27_Metropolitan_A_Class.jpg

But going on past form for Rapido I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see a Manning Wardle saddle tank creep in as a  left field Met linked appearance (via Brill and Huddersfield - or should that be Huddersfield and Brill?)

The Metropolitan A Class would certainly be an interesting choice given quite a number of them ended up in the service of other railways and would definitely be a welcome addition to pre grouping modellers.

Edited by David Stannard
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, David Stannard said:

The Metropolitan A Class would certainly be an interesting choice given quite a number of them ended up in the service of other railways and would definitely be a welcome addition to pre grouping modellers.

Sadly (and don’t read anything into this - I have previously looked at these personally - there are a LOT of variations between them - so much to do them accurately would be a costly tooling exercise…

Now a Manning Wardle do like - but I think the Brill ones are K class and represented by a good kit.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rapidoandy said:

Sadly (and don’t read anything into this - I have previously looked at these personally - there are a LOT of variations between them - so much to do them accurately would be a costly tooling exercise…

Now a Manning Wardle do like - but I think the Brill ones are K class and represented by a good kit.

I didn’t dare mention the K Class. Superb machines and very handsome in lined red. Do, please, get on with it!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I didn’t dare mention the K Class. Superb machines and very handsome in lined red. Do, please, get on with it!

I think you have a different K class in mind - the ones built using leftover bits from Woolwich moguls.  The Manning Wardle K class was a very different thing and 'Huddersfield' at one time worked the Brill branch.  Here's another example of that type -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_Wardle#/media/File:Loco_Sharpthorne.JPG

55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think you have a different K class in mind - the ones built using leftover bits from Woolwich moguls.  The Manning Wardle K class was a very different thing and 'Huddersfield' at one time worked the Brill branch.  Here's another example of that type -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_Wardle#/media/File:Loco_Sharpthorne.JPG

Oh flip! I was getting carried away again. I wouldn’t object to the MW K but the Met K would be wonderful. Neither to be confused with the LBSC K Class, which has oft been mentioned on RMweb as desirable, as indeed it is.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

which kit would that be ?