The Case For Different Pullman Liveries.

Co-tr-Paul

To compliment the thread on the Night Ferry stock ,  I have often wondered why Hornby only ever do the "brown/cream" livery on the range of super- detail Pullmans ?   Many ,  if not all ,  are suitable for other liveries carried including Pullman Maroon ,  " Brown/Cream" cream above windows ,  BR Maroon ,  BR Green ,  BR Grey/Blue ,  BR Corperate Blue/Grey , even camping  !  I'm sure there would be takers.  A good opportunity to recoupe production costs and another gap in the market filled along with the opportunity for people to run even more trains prototypically  .

• Like 2

The BR Mk1 Pullmans also got the Grey/ blue reversed scheme, done by Bachmann.

In answer to the original question, I don't think there were that many of the traditional Pullmans, by which I mean those up to and including the 1928 all steel "K" type, that received liveries other than umber and cream. The SR variants in unlined green certainly would be easy enough for an individual to do as a respray, should they so wish.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

13 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

The SR variants in unlined green certainly would be easy enough for an individual to do as a respray, should they so wish.

John.

IIRC those were mostly the narrow bodied Hastings line Pullmans, again not produced by Hornby. 

• Informative/Useful 1

The twelve-wheeled Cars could certainly be done in SECR maroon and would look great behind a 'D' class from another well known supplier. Some of the 'K' type eight-wheelers would be correct in the early form of umber & cream with cream above the windows - great with a Maunsell green Lord Nelson for example .... and one or two could pass for the Scottish Cars which the LMS took over ( LMS & BR liveries ). A number of Cars were used as 'normal' First Class stock during the war and carried a brown livery. A coupe of pre-war Cars - in ally-sheeted form - survived to carry blue & grey and/or grey & blue .... but probably only fitted with square toilet windows ........... so, yes, there are a few options.

• Like 1

How accurate is Hornby’s umber colour? Compared to photos I have seen of Pullman stock it looks dark, i seems to remember it bing much loser to Humbrol’s “mid brown” but I know film varies enormously!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, D9001 said:

How accurate is Hornby’s umber colour? Compared to photos I have seen of Pullman stock it looks dark, i seems to remember it bing much loser to Humbrol’s “mid brown” but I know film varies enormously!

It’s always been a bit too dark. 

• Agree 1

I bought a new Bachmann Mk1 a couple of weeks ago and the colour has a nice lustre to it. It has led table lighting but the rrp. is a mad £80. Shop around as I got mine for £37 from MRD special offers.

39-310c.IMG_1603.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The twelve-wheeled Cars could certainly be done in SECR maroon and would look great behind a 'D' class from another well known supplier. Some of the 'K' type eight-wheelers would be correct in the early form of umber & cream with cream above the windows - great with a Maunsell green Lord Nelson for example .... and one or two could pass for the Scottish Cars which the LMS took over ( LMS & BR liveries ). A number of Cars were used as 'normal' First Class stock during the war and carried a brown livery. A coupe of pre-war Cars - in ally-sheeted form - survived to carry blue & grey and/or grey & blue .... but probably only fitted with square toilet windows ........... so, yes, there are a few options.

Yes please !!!

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't think any of the Hornby Pullman Cars got those liveries apart from the Brighton Belle which has already been done.

The BR reverse Blue/Grey Pullmans of the 1970s were a different type. I think they were the Golden Arrow set which people have been asking for. 

Jason

They were the new-built Festival of Britain Pullmans, presumably built around 1950. Originally painted in traditional livery, then into the blue and grey.

Ray

18 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The BR Mk1 Pullmans also got the Grey/ blue reversed scheme, done by Bachmann.

In answer to the original question, I don't think there were that many of the traditional Pullmans, by which I mean those up to and including the 1928 all steel "K" type, that received liveries other than umber and cream. The SR variants in unlined green certainly would be easy enough for an individual to do as a respray, should they so wish.

John.

They would be nice.

Wrenn attempted that with old HD Pullmans, but Hornby could make a much better job.

Ray

14 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

I wonder what English Pullman type ever wore a CIWL blue livery?  .......

The Cars built for (?) and operated sur-le-continong by C.I.W.L. from1925 were painted in Pullman style but in green & white-cream ..... then "During 1926, the waist was painted maroon, ..." - so that's two more liveries : presumably one carried in the UK on delivery and t'other on their return journey in autumn 1929 before they gained normal Pullman colours.

• Agree 1

This is drifting slightly off the original topic, but I think the issue of the "correct" umber has been covered in different places on RMweb before.

I seem to remember a theory that the restored Pullmans of recent years, particularly the VSOE set, were thought to be a bit lighter than the shade dating back to steam days. More Galaxy than CDM if you like.

There are certainly disparities in colour between manufacturers. The Bachmann Mk1 is noticeably lighter than the Hornby shades, and also than the colour used by Southern Pride in their kits, the latter being a closer match to the Hornby. Here is an SP "The Hadrian Bar" that I completed recently as an add on to match some others made years ago before the Bachmann RTR appeared.

John.

IMG_1120 copyweb2.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 11:21, John Tomlinson said:

This is drifting slightly off the original topic, but I think the issue of the "correct" umber has been covered in different places on RMweb before.

I seem to remember a theory that the restored Pullmans of recent years, particularly the VSOE set, were thought to be a bit lighter than the shade dating back to steam days. More Galaxy than CDM if you like.

There are certainly disparities in colour between manufacturers. The Bachmann Mk1 is noticeably lighter than the Hornby shades, and also than the colour used by Southern Pride in their kits, the latter being a closer match to the Hornby. Here is an SP "The Hadrian Bar" that I completed recently as an add on to match some others made years ago before the Bachmann RTR appeared.

John.

IMG_1120 copyweb2.jpg

It is huge pain that the Hornby Bachmann colours are nothing alike!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, davidw said:

It is huge pain that the Hornby Bachmann colours are nothing alike!

As they should be.

Different colour in real life. The Bachmann Pullmans are correct for the 1960s onwards. Hornby are correct for earlier. 

Look at a colour photo of the Mark One Pullmans in use when they still had the old 1928 stock brakes. You can see they are different colours.

Even the Hornby Brighton Belle is different shades for the 1960s stock and 1934 version.

image.png.9702d15b71f58c81507d641a56b9cd0d.png

image.png.afd8ef6a663eec7f5ebc34c4084e67b4.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/372780/hornby_r2987_po05_class_5bel_pullman_brighton_belle_1934_2_car_pack_2_x_drive_mtr_brake_3rd_pre_o/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/538312/hornby_r3184_po19_1960_brighton_belle_pullman_2_car_emu_in_umber_and_cream_livery_pre_owned_dcc_/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

As they should be.

Different colour in real life. The Bachmann Pullmans are correct for the 1960s onwards. Hornby are correct for earlier. 

Look at a colour photo of the Mark One Pullmans in use when they still had the old 1928 stock brakes. You can see they are different colours.

Even the Hornby Brighton Belle is different shades for the 1960s stock and 1934 version.

image.png.9702d15b71f58c81507d641a56b9cd0d.png

image.png.afd8ef6a663eec7f5ebc34c4084e67b4.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/372780/hornby_r2987_po05_class_5bel_pullman_brighton_belle_1934_2_car_pack_2_x_drive_mtr_brake_3rd_pre_o/stockdetail.aspx

https://www.hattons.co.uk/538312/hornby_r3184_po19_1960_brighton_belle_pullman_2_car_emu_in_umber_and_cream_livery_pre_owned_dcc_/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

I'm sorry but I disagree to an extent. I'm not sure which is correct B or H. Prototype photos suggest that they were far closer to the same colours  in reality than as modelled

I would agree that Hornby and Bachmann colours have varied over the years.

IMG_20210510_202812169_optimized.jpg.69338e83d5a5d89e2a5160441819a533.jpg

I think this photo illustrates my point. First three vehicles are 1928 cars followed by mk1s. Very similar or so the photo would suggest. I agree photographic film may have degraded. But that's how I would see it...

Edited by davidw
Clarity

13 minutes ago, davidw said:

I'm sorry but I disagree to an extent. I'm not sure which is correct B or H. But the humber is far darker  on Hornby than Bachmann. The cream use by Hornby is a very peculiar colour. Prototype photos suggest that they were far closer in reality

They're both correct as they are two totally different liveries in real life.

Bachmann are 1960s BR Mark Ones. Built for BR by Metro Cammell.

Beware of preserved examples, but this one is correct.

image.png.168506af1cd547bd921fecc31aaf340c.png

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/eagle.html