• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Starting to get a feel for possible views:

1984453361_20210908_1959472.jpg.e19a14a5c558fefc7c9f5f402b44450e.jpg

Sneaky. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

No1 daughter visited today with No1 grandson.

More importantly she brought some off cuts of thin mdf strip and polystyrene sections from the packaging for Grandson's bedroom furniture. 

I've carefully hacked some polystyrene to resemble a goods shed and fish shed.

However, I have a concern the goods shed is in the way too much.

1872896275_20210910_1940422.jpg.5d496bf7b72336bac8dc1f01d5947051.jpg

This is taken from the operating position, and the shed completely hides the end of the loop.

The shed was always intended to be small, but even like this it's in the way.

Do I leave it and operate around?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

You could try a standard goods shed, which is built from wriggly tin on a timber platform, which stands to one side. I think I still have a drawing I produced on my old PC,  but I won't be able to access it for a couple of weeks, as I'm currently in Glasgow.

If someone on here has the GW architecture book, by Adrian Vaughan, I think, it gives the dimensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The 1934 "Standard Warehouse" on p. 363 of Vaughan's book is 40' x 20'. It's 10' high + the timber platform. Brunel would have cried at the look of it.

I have a vague recollection of finding a photo of one, but can't remember where. Was it Ross on Wye? (edit: yes, see Atkins' GWR Goods Services Vol 2B p290 and 295).

Stu, see PM. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

GW architecture book, by Adrian Vaughan, I think, it gives the dimensions.

It appears on page 363 - 40' long x 20' wide x 10' high at its lowest point which doesn't include the trestles upon which the building stands.

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite all the really helpful information I have received, I am unable to make a decision as to the goods shed.

Originally, I wanted a simple, straight siding from the point, but this leaves the track mid-way between the loop and the baseboard edge - with insufficient space either side.

So, I have two  further options:  swing the track towards the loop or swing the track towards the baseboard edge.

goods_shed_options.png.748517a4fe009f0b09b2b124e1462c85.png

The first would give easy road access to the rest of the yard, but would also restrict the operator's view of the points as before.

The second would open the view up, but would mean a track crossing for road vehicles.  And puts the good shed near the baseboard edge and hides any crate not being unloaded.

The more I think about this, I am more tempted by option 2.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Despite all the really helpful information I have received, I am unable to make a decision as to the goods shed.

Originally, I wanted a simple, straight siding from the point, but this leaves the track mid-way between the loop and the baseboard edge - with insufficient space either side.

So, I have two  further options:  swing the track towards the loop or swing the track towards the baseboard edge.

goods_shed_options.png.748517a4fe009f0b09b2b124e1462c85.png

The first would give easy road access to the rest of the yard, but would also restrict the operator's view of the points as before.

The second would open the view up, but would mean a track crossing for road vehicles.  And puts the good shed near the baseboard edge and hides any crate not being unloaded.

The more I think about this, I am more tempted by option 2.

Although it’s not Cornish, the example that came to mind when I saw this was Lambourn - small Goods shed (awning over the track) and looks to me to be sandwiched a bit between lines.  I could be wrong, and am happy to be corrected by those who know more, as always, but could I offer it as a suggestion to look at?  Just a thought, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

I like that:

image.png.359b9bffe154b4ef8dc42a422d9e294f.png

although the awning over the road vehicles might be a bit vulnerable at the baseboard edge.

That would be a really good option Stu, certainly an interesting building and maybe just cut the awning or both back slightly to give a balanced model either side. Perhaps you should make a card silhouette mock up and try it first.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So having actually looked at the space, it would appear that the Lambourn-type shed would fix betwixt rail and baseboard edge, though there would be no roadside awning ( or road, for that matter).

This leaves a small 'dead' area to fill with detritus.

For testing, I have been using a short w/base guards van, I think of NE origin, with 3 similar length wagons to form the incoming/outgoing train. 

When using a Toad, this will reduce the length of train to 2 wagons + van. 

Which for the gradient is ideal,  but limits the operational scope. Perhaps. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2021 at 17:03, Stubby47 said:

So having actually looked at the space, it would appear that the Lambourn-type shed would fix betwixt rail and baseboard edge, though there would be no roadside awning ( or road, for that matter).

This leaves a small 'dead' area to fill with detritus.

For testing, I have been using a short w/base guards van, I think of NE origin, with 3 similar length wagons to form the incoming/outgoing train. 

When using a Toad, this will reduce the length of train to 2 wagons + van. 

Which for the gradient is ideal,  but limits the operational scope. Perhaps. 

Simple answer to that Stu - the freight train arrives at the passenger station and runs round before shunting to the yard.  You then only need to run round sufficient number of wagons to access certain sidings and could leave the others 9or some of them) up at the station. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Simple answer to that Stu - the freight train arrives at the passenger station and runs round before shunting to the yard.  You then only need to run round sufficient number of wagons to access certain sidings and could leave the others 9or some of them) up at the station. 

I was reading an article the other day on switching an industrial area on the Santa Fe that was separate from the Depot, and that was exactly how they did it too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, that's certainly an option ( or will be when that bit of the layout is built).

Meanwhile I've been experimenting with an alternative sequence. 

The train runs into the run round first, then shunts the van into the oil depot siding. This leaves only three wagons to be shunted into one of 4 spots.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1